Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1122806 times)

Bette

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #1215 on: December 18, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »

I'm so excited - just saw a fox in the garden! I know they're common and we definitely have a "resident" one which OH has seen several times but this is the first time that I've seen him.  :yipi:
Bette x

Taz2

« Reply #1216 on: December 18, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »

That is lovely but also  worrying Bette - seeing a fox in daylight is not normally a sign of good health. Did it look in good condition?

We have a couple of them here. Sometimes I go to call in the cats at night and the younger one is sitting on the doorstep.

Taz x

Bette

« Reply #1217 on: December 18, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »

It actually looked really well - lovely coat and tail and not thin. Looked to me as if it had been caught out late and was nipping home quick! Partying no doubt!  :parti:
Bette x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #1218 on: December 18, 2011, 11:56:25 AM »

I'm so excited - just saw a fox in the garden! I know they're common and we definitely have a "resident" one which OH has seen several times but this is the first time that I've seen him.  :yipi:
Bette x

I don't think your neighbours will be if they have chickens etc. :(

A smallholder near us had all his chickens killed the other night and some of his ducks.

Last year he killed 14 foxes on his land, there are no end of them about.

A glimpse of a fox is a spectacular sight until you realise the damage they do.

Bette

« Reply #1219 on: December 18, 2011, 12:05:03 PM »

But isn't that "nature"?  :neutral:
There are lots of cats around us and I'm sure that they kill an awful lot of birds - our garden is a bit of a refuge, I think, as our dog doesn't let them hang around long enough to do much stalking. I sometimes find a heap of feathers which "was" a ring-coloured dove (we've got lots of those too) but I think that's the work of the hawk I see around.
Bette x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1220 on: December 18, 2011, 02:18:34 PM »

Bette - sparrowhawks take what they need, I haven't seen ours for months  :(

As for foxes, well it's humans who pen chickens etc which are naturally roosting birds so Foxy Loxy has plenty to keep him/her busy.  They cache any birds that are left over, digging them up when required.  Not a pretty sight when the fox has been in the pen 'cos they kill or maime everything  :'(  ........... and they are about in the day time as well as at dusk, particularly at this time of year.  It's hedgehogs which are poorly when seen in the day light, not foxes which prowl all the while, we don't see them as much.  A friend watched a fox digging under the wire fence, he took 3 days to make a small hole under which he slid towards her ducks, he caught one and pulled it back under the fence  :'( ......... apparently male urine weed round the plot keeps foxes away, however at this time of year  ;) ...........

To protect free-ranging birds buy a couple of llamas  ;)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #1221 on: December 18, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »

But isn't that "nature"?  :neutral:
There are lots of cats around us and I'm sure that they kill an awful lot of birds - our garden is a bit of a refuge, I think, as our dog doesn't let them hang around long enough to do much stalking. I sometimes find a heap of feathers which "was" a ring-coloured dove (we've got lots of those too) but I think that's the work of the hawk I see around.
Bette x

Yes, you're right Bette.  I have a garden full of birds and get loads of pleasure from watching them feed and bathe out there but my friend has none in her garden because she has 4 cats who kill all the birds.

CLKD

« Reply #1222 on: December 18, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »

Our tits emptied a large feeder of sun-flower seeds today - twice  :o always a sign that cold weather is on the way.

Trey

« Reply #1223 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »

I'm going mad with a bluebird, a narcissistic bluebird who has been pecking and flying up and down my bedroom window for 7 hours so far pecking at the window.  Surely he cannot still have a reflection with the light change during the day.  Even Taylorsue, the dog, is fascinated, and now bored with him.

CLKD

« Reply #1224 on: January 08, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »

He's fascinated by his own shadow?   Himself is like that, sees a mirror and poses  ;)

Yesterday was warm enough to dig over some ground and plant allium bulbs, then covered over with up-turned hanging baskets so that the chickens don't scratch them out again.  Nights are pulling out ...........  :-*

Taz2

« Reply #1225 on: January 08, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »

:kick:    Nights are pulling out ...........

Taz x  :beat:

CLKD

« Reply #1226 on: January 08, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »

Yep  :) - it wasn't dark until 4.30 p.m. after a lovely sunset  :-*

Taz2

« Reply #1227 on: January 08, 2012, 09:14:42 PM »

I am getting seriously depressed here. I have not had my winter yet and i am having to begin my summer hibernation already. The daffodil bulbs are coming up in the garden but luckily two fence panels blew down on them last week and I don't have to look at them yet... but I know they are under there

Taz  :sigh:

san

« Reply #1228 on: January 08, 2012, 09:19:43 PM »

a rose bush which usually flowers in June has a flower on it !  I noticed it this morning when out refilling the bird feeders.

I love spring .... but not just yet. I want take my grandson sledging first  :D

Taz2

« Reply #1229 on: January 08, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »

:foryou:
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 423