Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1124909 times)

Taz2

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #1110 on: August 02, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »

No it's not that odd Stumpy as they only really need water to lay their eggs. The rest of the time they are winging their way around catching any insects it can - they have a voracious appetite. There is info here http://www.animalcorner.co.uk/insects/dragonfly/dragonfly.html. Apparently they can eat their own weight in food within thirty minutes - they catch butterflies and bees are especially tasty.

Taz x

Christine662

« Reply #1111 on: August 03, 2011, 06:56:23 AM »

they are very pretty to look at Taz.

Taz2

« Reply #1112 on: August 03, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »

Yep as long as you are not a butterfly being chased by one! They are lovely and it's difficult to believe that they are such predators!

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #1113 on: August 03, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »

Last night when I went to bed there was a big spider and a little spider in the corner of the kitchen. They were Harvest Spiders with the little bodies and long legs. This morning I noticed that Gomez the fluffy white cat was watching something on the wall and there it was - evidence of what had happened the night before when the house was peacefully sleeping. Sex and murder!  Big (mummy) spider was carefully clambering up the side of the cupboard cradling in her front legs the wrapped up body of little (daddy) spider. There are worse things than being a menopausal woman I reckon!  ;D

I relocated her into the garden.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1114 on: August 03, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »

We had an enormous 'F*** that's big spider' in our bath last night: even Hubby said "That's a f***ing big spider" as he lifted her outside and she immediately ran back towards our front door  :o
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:53:25 AM by CLKD »

ariadne

« Reply #1115 on: August 08, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »

Did anyone see the story in the Sunday express about the pair of whooper swans that have managed to raise cygnets in this country (sadly only one cygnet left now). Whooper swans fly to Iceland in the spring to raise a family but the female of this pair was injured and unable to fly. The male stayed behind with her and now they have the first wild whooper swan cygnet ever to be hatched on our shores.

I found it really touching. :'(

http://www.wwt.org.uk/visit-us/welney/news/icelandic-swan-romance-results-in-rare-uk-cygnets

ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #1116 on: August 10, 2011, 06:42:11 PM »

Swans usually mate for Life.  It's a wonderful story  :-*

viv

« Reply #1117 on: August 10, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »

Had a very strange thing grow in the garden....after a bit of googling I discovered it was a stink horn, and boy did it live up to its name  :sick02:

Honeyb
x

ariadne

« Reply #1118 on: August 10, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »

Gosh HB - they are rather ummmmm.... phallic is the word that springs to mind. Just read about them on Wikipedia and the smell is described as foul but it is EATEN in France and Germany :o

ariadne xx

ChickenStance

« Reply #1119 on: August 10, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »

It must have had all it's feet on the ground. If it was a boy one of it's legs would be kept off the floor because it's willie is on the end of it. Someone told me that a long time ago and I never found out if it's true.lol.

CLKD

« Reply #1120 on: August 11, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »

Because she was huge and because they eat the males after mating  ;)

Blue

« Reply #1121 on: August 12, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »

I'm coming back as a spider  LOL ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #1122 on: August 13, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »

To spend your life time spitting legs  ;D

ariadne

« Reply #1123 on: August 13, 2011, 07:11:51 PM »

Some of you might remember I posted that the walnut tree on my allotment, which I grew from a tiny offshoot, was laden with walnuts for the first time ever. I've been admiring their growth for weeks now but yesterday when I went up to get some potatoes, GASP - not a single walnut to be seen. I looked all around and underneath the tree but there was no sign of nuts or empty cases. SO disappointed.

Today when hubby was cutting the grass up there, he discovered 3 walnuts buried in the lawned area. Heaven only knows here the other 50 odd are  ::) Still, I guess the squirrel needs them more than I do. He must have been so busy burying that little lot. Every single nut from the tree is gone.

ariadne xx

viv

« Reply #1124 on: August 13, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »

That is such a shame....but you are going to have one very well fed squirrel in the winter. You need to beat him to it next year.

Honeyb
x
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 423