Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1122265 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #885 on: March 02, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »

Once a week I make them go to the ground to clear up  ;) removing the feeders from the trees around the garden so they have to hunt for any dropped seed.  MESSY +  :cuss: - need to get more fat balls later and meal worms are on order.  It's a Full Time Job!

Taz2

« Reply #886 on: March 02, 2011, 04:38:56 PM »

I don't like mine to go to the ground firstly because we have a lot of cats in the garden and secondly because the sunflower hearts only take a day to begin to rot to be honest - not good for them. The other seeds are ok as they have husks on and don't rot down but the sunflower hearts are horrible.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #887 on: March 03, 2011, 10:01:43 AM »

I watched under the feeders yesterday and other small birds were there clearing up including a yellow hammer. 

Meggie

« Reply #888 on: March 03, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »

I'm not sure whether this has already been mentioned but the Cranes & Storks fly in a "V" formation because if they were in row they would not be able to see directly in front of them as their eyes are on the side of their head - hubby heard this on the TV last night.  Logic really

...... just a thought, if they were in rows would they bump into the ones in front of them?

Meggie

CLKD

« Reply #889 on: March 03, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »

Probably ..........

Taz2

« Reply #890 on: March 03, 2011, 02:26:47 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #891 on: March 03, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »

It is bitterly cold and the small birds are clearing the meal worms every 2 hours!

Meggie

« Reply #892 on: March 04, 2011, 01:21:51 PM »

It's all to do with "upwash" http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/nature/q0237.shtml

Taz x

A very interesting Link Taz - there's much more to it thank where their eyes are situated !!  Isn't nature amazing.

Meggie

CLKD

« Reply #893 on: March 04, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »

Not as cold so the birds aren't clearing the meal worms  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #894 on: March 05, 2011, 10:58:39 AM »

Freezing here in Hampshire - had to scrape the frost off the car when I left the pub last night. Birds in a frenzy as usual. Goldfinches and Siskins fighting over the niger seed and Goldfinches and Chaffinches fighting over the sunflower hearts. Sixteen collared doves on the other feeders together with the Robins, various Tits, Wagtails (pied and grey/yellow) Blackbirds, Starlings, Magpies and the lovely cheeky Sparrows.

Taz x

Blue

« Reply #895 on: March 05, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »

We've got frogs in the back garden pond, croaking and thinking about laying eggs.
Primroses and daisy's flowering and leaves on roses and spirea. Tulip leaves about 6in.
I hope we don't get too many frosts/snow or I may loose the lot.

ariadne

« Reply #896 on: March 05, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »

The Tesco robin is still there singing its little heart out in the bakery section  :) :) What does he eat?

Taz2

« Reply #897 on: March 05, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »

I expect he flies in and out during the day? There must be doors open I would think and they are very clever at managing to work out where to go.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #898 on: March 06, 2011, 09:51:53 AM »

I feel silly this morning  >:( ..... going back to Friday when the sun was warm on my back and I did a lot of weeding and moving of shrubs, pots and earth; except the earth was piled up by the front door, this morning I went to avoid it in my slippers and tripped over something else!  Hubby was in the car pulling off the drive and was astounded that something could happen so quickly  ::) ...... i'm beginning to stiffen up now  :( however: birds singing, spawn in the ponds moved so that the fish don't eat it all, feeders filled ......
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:32:02 AM by CLKD »

viv

« Reply #899 on: March 06, 2011, 09:33:20 PM »

My little dog found a very large frog in the garden this morning. I am not sure where it hopped from. I think the dog must have licked it, or perhaps just sniffed at it. She kept going back to the same spot so she was brought in. I went for a look and it was so still I thought it was dead. OH was dispatched for a look  ;) and it had gone.
It was an ugly b****r  :(

Honeyb
x

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 423