Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 423

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1122567 times)

catweazle

Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #570 on: September 28, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »

I saw a slow worm at Robin Hood's Bay last week when I was on my jollies. I've never seen one before and got quite excited because I thought it was a snake at first. I took a photo of it on my phone then googled when I got home.
Apparently they're often mistaken for snakes because they look like them, and certainly don't look like worms (it's not just me being dumb!)  :D It seems they are in fact legless lizards, and they have eyelids whereas snakes don't. Very exciting, still, to see something I've never come across before in my 50 years.

There were also lots of bats around the cottage we stayed in but I'm not keen on them, they've got nasty little faces  :bat: and all that silent fluttering freaks me out. Ugh.

Catweazle x

Ooo a squirrel has just run past my patio door!  :)

Taz2

« Reply #571 on: September 28, 2010, 04:56:16 PM »

Slow worms are great - we have them at school. Was it a male or a female do you know? One of them has little blue dots down the sides - think it might be the female.

Bats are lovely - they can look a little bit foxy but they are harmless to us. My neighbours have just discovered a roost in their loft - bang goes the intended conversion then! They only knew because they opened the loft hatch and one flew out - took ages to get it out of the house - courtesy of the local Bat group.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #572 on: September 30, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »

How is Ginger Rogers progressing on the treatment?

I was scooping off chick weed from the bottom pond and found 5 tiny tiny fishes, probably born this week  :-*

Meggie

« Reply #573 on: October 03, 2010, 07:24:40 AM »

How is Ginger Rogers progressing on the treatment?

Hi CLKD - the antibiotics are finished and we are waiting until early next week to decide what to do next.  The swelling is much smaller but has not gone and we should have gone back to the Vets mid-week.  Unfortunately our car was at the garage for 3 days as we had to have the cam-belt replaced and it took longer than expected as they found a leak on the sump (wondered why we had oil on the drive!!).  Ginger's foot isn't as hot but I think it would be a good idea to ask the Vet again - I know it costs but we don't want her in discomfort and don't want the infection to get out of hand again.

Yesterday we had to chase a tiny 3" lizard around the bedroom - boy can they move when they want to - didn't fancy sleeping with him in the room.  It's bad enough knowing that during our lifetime, we all swallow at least 5 spiders whilst asleep but the thought of a lizard dropping off the ceiling fills me with dread so out he had to go.  Caught him and he's on his way ...... until the next time.

Meggie
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:03:13 AM by Meggie »

CLKD

« Reply #574 on: October 03, 2010, 11:20:23 AM »

Use one of the chickens - they love lizards  ;)

How about bathing the foot in warm salted water until you speak with the Vet.?

Taz2

« Reply #576 on: October 04, 2010, 08:17:43 AM »

Thank you - it was lovely watching that - has brought a smile to my face.

Taz x  :thankyou:

Bette

« Reply #577 on: October 04, 2010, 08:18:07 AM »

That was wonderful  :-*
Bixby x

Eddie

« Reply #578 on: October 04, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »

I was mesmerised watching that, so scared to move in case i startled them! Amazing to see the mother bird feeding him. Eddie. x

Meggie

« Reply #579 on: October 04, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »

Hi Ladyjane

Loved the Hummingbird video - how beautiful.

CLKD - Not yet offered a lizard to the chickens but yesterday they got a Praying Mantis - head off then down it went - YUK !!

Isn't nature fascinating?

Meggie

CLKD

« Reply #580 on: October 04, 2010, 10:12:55 AM »

At least we don't have to worry about Mantissssss .........  ;D

Sleepless in London

« Reply #581 on: October 07, 2010, 09:55:08 AM »

Would anyone know why blue tits are eating my paintwork?  I went out the garden one day and it looked like it had been snowing.  There were paint flakes all over the place and as I looked up to the roof I saw the little blighters hovering about and pecking at the paintwork.  Thought they only ate insects and seeds.  Does this mean we are INFESTED! Or do they just like paint?  This has only just started happening. 

Sleepless  ???

Taz2

« Reply #582 on: October 07, 2010, 05:14:29 PM »

Hi Sleepless - they are not after the paint but the insects which may be hiding underneath it. It is amazing how many teeny insects can get in through the tiniest of cracks in the paint. they attack mine too - especially underneath where the insects can hide between the edge of the sill and the brickwork.

Taz x

Bette

« Reply #583 on: October 08, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »

Just seen 3 beautiful long-tailed tits foraging in our wildlife hedge - lovely.  :-*
Bixby x

Sleepless in London

« Reply #584 on: October 08, 2010, 11:57:15 AM »

Thanks Taz.
Take care.

Sleepless
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 423