Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1109888 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4950 on: March 07, 2020, 11:27:26 AM »

So who is caring for the pet hedgehog whilst he is with you?

They STINK.  Apparently  ::).  They are all the rage ........

I need to remember to put our cameras out next week ;-).

Off to feed the birds  :-*

Barnacle

« Reply #4951 on: March 07, 2020, 12:11:52 PM »

Barnacle,you should set up cameras,we have them all over(business security) but I scroll through all the night time ones,it's fab,still not seen a fox or a badger though   :(

We do have cameras at the front, but the only things i see on them at the moment are muntjacs and the odd cat.

CLKD

« Reply #4952 on: March 07, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »

I am glad that we don't get deer in the garden, we are 2 miles from the woods so they get into my friends large garden first  :D

Robin was beside me whilst I was weeding earlier and DH was digging in the back garden so he had one too - I think we have a pair flitting around now.

jaypo

« Reply #4953 on: March 07, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »

Oh so it is a thing then? I thought hedgehogs were endangered and now they?re selling them as pets!?!?omg,it's so wrong,everyone knows kids get a pet rabbit or gerbil or whatever,then after a few months the poor things are left in filthy cages with nobody looking sideways at them(not all kids obviously) so now it's the hedgehogs turn.
Yes apparently they poop and pee everywhere,hence the reason he's to wash her feet every day,that?ll be a novelty for all of two weeks  >:( >:(
I'm guessing his mother is looking after it clkd,who knows  :-X

CLKD

« Reply #4954 on: March 07, 2020, 01:57:02 PM »

Do hedgehogs make good pets? - Hedgehog Street

No, our hedgehogs in the UK certainly do not make good pets. ... Some international species of hedgehogs have however, been domesticated so that they can be sold as pets in the UK. The most commonly sold, and often confused with the European hedgehog, is the African pygmy hedgehog.

Why not open up dialogue jaypo to find out more?  Then if he gets fed up with it he won't feel backed into a corner as I did with the hamster [long story short  :'(].  I expect that the RSPCA etc. will be full of 'pet' hedgehogs  ::)

Barnacle

« Reply #4955 on: March 07, 2020, 02:12:26 PM »

I am glad that we don't get deer in the garden, we are 2 miles from the woods so they get into my friends large garden first  :D

We have woods at the back and front, with a very quiet road running through the village. They walk about like they own the bleedin' place   ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4956 on: March 07, 2020, 02:17:48 PM »

How much room do you have in the freezer?  Do you grow your own veg .  ;)  :whist:

jaypo

« Reply #4957 on: March 07, 2020, 02:24:02 PM »

Thanks clkd, I will have a talk with him as his mother would be happy just to let it rot in a cage as they have done with their poor rabbit.
We have deer here too,little muntjac everywhere,then when we go to Scotland,it's the big boys,huge red deer,they come right down onto the grass in front of our lodge,I'm a tad scared of them  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #4958 on: March 07, 2020, 02:55:54 PM »

Muntjac is sweeter than venison sold in Game Dealers  ;)

I'm nosy would love to know how a pet hedgehog differs from those in the garden  8)

jaypo

« Reply #4959 on: March 07, 2020, 03:09:58 PM »

Yes,me too clkd, I suppose it's like rats and fancy rats as they?re called,bred in captivity maybe?

CLKD

« Reply #4960 on: March 07, 2020, 04:51:40 PM »

What's rats etc. got to do with .......... rats pee.  Constantly  :-X

jaypo

« Reply #4961 on: March 07, 2020, 04:57:25 PM »

Sorry,When you said how do garden hedgehogs differ from pet hedgehogs,what I meant is,maybe it's the same as rats,wild rats differ to fancy rats,as in,they?re bred in captivity but I'm not sure exactly

CLKD

« Reply #4962 on: March 07, 2020, 05:09:03 PM »

Different part of the World - have a look at 'pet hedgehogs'?  I think the pet ones are tiny?

Barnacle

« Reply #4963 on: March 07, 2020, 06:54:05 PM »

How much room do you have in the freezer?  Do you grow your own veg .  ;)  :whist:

Hell no!, i only eat chicken  ;D. My Dad is the only roadkill eater in the family.

Taz2

« Reply #4964 on: March 07, 2020, 07:45:53 PM »

Oh no,how awful Taz ,the poor little thing  :'(
Ok,here's something I'd like your opinions about,my stepson is here for the weekend,announcing he has a pet hedgehog,I said,did you catch it and now it's your pet? >:( No,apparently you can buy baby hedgehogs and keep them as pets!!! He's read up how you clean it's spines and feet and how to bathe it but I'm not happy,surely kids have enough wild animals to choose to keep in cages  >:(  >:(

These will be African pigmy hedgehogs (I think that's their name). They are totally different to our own hedgies. It's illegal to keep one of ours as a pet without a licence I believe. The rescue centre I work for has had the African ones brought in as they are often released into the wild by uncaring/uneducated owners who get fed up with them.  :(

Taz x
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 422