Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 82

Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 168377 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cycling
« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »

Do the tyres now 'hang' outside the 'guards?

As for padded pants, there are lots on the market!  DH has several types, he buys those which separate from the outer shorts so that the inners can be washed after each use, the shorts then last for several rides.  All types wash and dry really quickly.  Some shorts are long, to the knee, others are short and some can have lower leggings which are removable.

Hattie

« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2014, 08:49:41 AM »

I also need ( to protect my 'bits')  I have a lovely saddle, but still need some extra padding.

There is a saddle called a Spongy Wonder which is a divided saddle that protects your bits and might save you having to wear shorts at all. You will find it on the internet.

I bought one - it does have to be imported - it is adjustable and quite comfortable. I no longer ride a bike - pity i sold my saddle on Ebay before xmas but you may find one on there.( just looked and there is a Hobson Easyseat which looks similar to the Spongy wonder)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:04:23 AM by Hattie »

CLKD

« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2014, 10:32:18 AM »

Hattie - does the saddle have a gap in the middle then?

No cycling for us today, it's intermittent thunderous showers!

Hattie

« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2014, 11:17:04 AM »

Hattie - does the saddle have a gap in the middle then?

Yes - if you look it up it is like two pads with a gap in the middle. it is adjustable sideways and forwards and up down on the seatpost.

Takes just a little bit of getting used to but it means that for both men and women your 'down below' area is clear of pressure from a saddle. Good if you already have a problem or if you want to avoid getting a nerve problem 'down below'.

CLKD

« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2014, 01:37:55 PM »

:thankyou:  wonder why the professionals don't use them or am I too busy looking at the Lycra  ;)

Hattie

« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2014, 07:06:46 PM »

:thankyou:  wonder why the professionals don't use them

guess they know how to look after themselves.

It would help if the professionals raised awareness though as cycling can be a cause of Pudendal Neuralgia or entrapment because of repeated pressure on the perineum and surrounding nerves.

oldsheep

« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »

hi ladies, thanks, I do have a saddle with a gap. It's an Italian one that I got for my birthday and very comfy.
No, the tyres are thinner...I'm actually wondering if the splashes are from the chainset, not the tyres! But can't look down when I'm going downhill in the park  :o  I have to go uphill too (!) so not keen to retro fit a chain set cover as adds yet more weight. I've already taken off the back rack. Think I just miss the days when I went a bit faster than I do now!
What's odd is when I ride my husband's bike - he has the same make of hybrid as I do, just the men's version - I do go a bit faster. Maybe should have bought the mens' small rather than women's medium.

I'm a bit nervous to ride a proper road bike in London. You have to stop suddenly so often in the traffic or with some pedestrian with headphones in their ears that just steps off the pavement into the road.

CLKD

« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »

We often see cyclists with head-phones too  >:(

latefortysomething

« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »

Wish I'd seen this discussion earlier, I love cycling.  Miss living in London as it was my preferred mode of transport - (you always get a seat!) No metro newspapers being stuffed in your face or in my case rested on head by taller (and usually younger) members of society.  Cycling into work was just a great way to start the day!

I live in Surrey now and cycle every where - only thing I would say that I found it slightly easier cycling in London as traffic was slower, finding now on roads here usually have a 40 mile an hour plus limit and cars whiz around. (No patience some drivers)  A few near misses but such fun!  ;D   I am thinking of cycling up into London so getting cycle serviced for this. (and have located cycling shorts)

It has been hot(as we all know  ::)) and I have been bothered by heat,  but still cycle.   Actually thinking about it, cycling up hills in Richmond park really toned up stomach, you can do crunches, etc. but you can't beat cycling up a steep hill, works every part.  (  I had a stomach to be proud off back a few years ago...). ::)

Thanks for the saddle suggestions too!

I don't wear head phones as you need to hear traffic, be aware etc.(again as we all know!)  always amazed when I see oversized head phones on cyclists, no helmet and general lack of awareness of surroundings.   In London as I cycled past Chelsea in mornings I would sometimes see these very glamorous ladies cycling in high heels with expensive handbags over handle bars....(only jealous !)

Finally...
Thankfully listened to weather today,  it has just bucketed it down complete with lightening/thunder.......sky still very dark and heavy!   :'(

Nice to  be able to join this discussion and hope you all enjoy your bike rides, should be ok for tomorrow....should you wish to venture out!  :)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:46:10 PM by latefortysomething »

Ju Ju

« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »

I went out for a ride for the first time in 3 years, due to health issues. I had energy, but my lady bits suffered, needing medical attention. My bike has good suspension, but I am reluctant to go for a ride again.  :o Obviously padded cycle shorts would be a good investment, but I still feel the seat is still going to be a problem, so I am interested in the Spongy Wonder seats. I looked them up and they seem to be a good solution, but not cheap with shipping added. I'd be interested to know about other women's experiences of them, before investing. Thanks.

oldsheep

« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2014, 05:41:52 PM »

I went out yesterday down the Thames Path (they're ruining it with development - 1000s of high rise flats  :'() and got nagging shoulder and neck burning pain. The handlebars on my hybrid bike aren't adjustable. If I lower the saddle, I get knee pain. I'm wondering about fitting bull bars. The new tyres are a harder ride and I had hand and arm vibration for hours after just an hour cycling!

The new baggy shorts with removable baboon bum (pink!) insert helped a bit. I paid a lot for them but think they'll be useful. Wish they were softer though as the poly rubs when worn on its own and it rustles! I'm going to check out the Spongy Wonder too. My b'day present saddle is a Selle Italia and it's helped a lot but nothing entirely works. Think I'll have to design a cut out ring protector as a baboon padding extra  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2014, 09:04:42 PM »

Find a very good cycling shop, there will be 100s popping up now with lots of advice.  Our local one now has a coffee/bun shop.  Go along to a cycling group and see what others are using. No one minds sharing knowledge!  Have a look in the various cycling magazines too.  Follow up adverts.  That's where you will find where you local groups meet and the various cycle rides across the UK, there are LOTS  :o every weekend  ::)

Look at the various sites for those top cyclists, i.e. Sir Chris Hoye, Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome (Sky), send e-mails for advice. 

Northants hosted the 1st All women cycling race in May, we saw them whizz by  ::) so fast I couldn't see what they were seated on. 

oldsheep

« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2014, 08:42:12 AM »

2 problems that stop me cycling as much as I'd like to (apart from muscle issues!)
first is the numbness and pain, and 'mock' UTIs - I do wish cycle forums and manufacturers would learn to say the words 'labia', 'clitoris', 'urethra' instead of 'sit bones' or 'forward sit bones/sensitive areas'.
We're not 10 years old  ::)
I've been looking at this this morning http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2014/aug/14/how-female-cyclists-can-combat-saddle-soreness?commentpage=2
Spongy Wonder and other similar designs are mentioned. SW website though is seemingly aimed at men who have genital problems. Are they really helpful for women? I feel like I have a UTI and have numbness even on or after short rides and I have a leather cut out fancy saddle.

2nd is possibly more intractable: I have bad burning pain in shoulders and neck. My handlebars aren't adjustable. I've adjusted the saddle but it's still a problem. It's a hybrid as well, not a road bike, so I'm more upright (theoretically less of a problem)
I love cycling and would love to get it sorted!

CLKD

« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »

Those men in Lycra are cycling across Belgium, headed towards France  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2015, 09:17:10 PM »

The Round Britain Coast ride has finished. This weekend Tour of Britain begins.  Chris Froome is out of le Veulta with a broken foot …...
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 82