Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 1367 times)

catherine 72

Where do I start?
« on: June 08, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »

Hello everyone. My GP recommended this site for me to try and make some decisions about starting HRT and do not know where to start! I am 48 been on the mini pill for 7 years now to try and relieve very heavy periods. It helped with the "balance" of my hormones no mood swings etc but was not until 4 years ago finally got diagnosis and treatment for cervical erosion. Since then no periods (hooray) For the last 5 months at 9pm every night get drenching sweats and now happening around 4am. Dr diagnosed menopause from symptoms as all bloods normal. She suggested the coil instead of mini pill but cannot fit yet due to COVID and recommended estrogen patches but cannot get them due to Brexit! I do not want the risk of having periods again as was housebound with them, but would like to try something for the sweats and feeling like I am on fire and getting a decent night's sleep. No other symptoms, still feel up to hanky pinky and no dryness! Any ideas where I could start please. Thank you all in advance.x I have just bought some sage tea to see if that helps LOL

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 08:45:38 AM »

Hi!  :welcomemm:

C-19 is being used for all kinds of 'can't provide health requirements'.  Unless your local Hospital is dedicated to C-19 there shouldn't be any reason why you can't have the Mirena fitted!  Ring your surgery and see if there is a menopause clinic ?  Also ring your local hospitals and find out if they have C-19 patients.  Some are standing ideal!

Do browse round, make notes  ;)

There are some Anti-depressant medications which have been found to ease hot flushes. 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 01:17:27 PM »

I think your GP gives good advice. You won't know if you're peri or meno but given your age more likely to be peri. So really the only option to be bleed free is the mirena. You could use oestrogel instead of a patch, I've had no trouble getting it.

catherine 72

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 07:34:34 PM »

Thank you both for your advice, so good to be able to talk to other women about this. I am leaning towards staying on Desogestrel (mini pill) and may try the coil version later on. I once passed out having a coil fitted! And will ask to add the estrogen gel or tablet to see how things go. By the way do we have to pay for HRT on the NHS? Thank you.

Baby

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 09:17:14 AM »

I have had two appointments cancelled at Birmingham womens hospital even though they were by telephone because of covidvsonthey say.grr

Kas

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:29:01 AM »

Hi Catherine,
For the hot flushes I have found that Sage leaf supplements help in reducing the intensity and frequency. Haven't been able to take any artificial hormones since my early 20's (now 55)so am always looking to natural ways to help with my meno. symptoms. Was recently prescribed 10mg Amitriptyline as wasn't sleeping properly, anxiety and hot flushes with instant migraine (@ 4.30am) but  only took them for 3 weeks.The Dr. said it would help with all my symptoms as they are a migraine preventative and that they would help with hot flushes. They did help but left me with a thick head in the mornings(hungover feeling).The migraines have stopped, hot flushes calmed again and the anxiety seems to have dissipated for now.
Fingers crossed for the time being :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 11:35:20 AM »

No one has to pay for NHS treatment ........ including HRT.  Some ladies find that due to their GP's lack of knowledge and support, they pay to be seen in a Menopause Clinic to get dedicated advice.  The prescription is then issued in many cases by their GP.