Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Post Menopausal Bleeding & coming off HRT  (Read 873 times)

Jeans1234

Post Menopausal Bleeding & coming off HRT
« on: May 28, 2020, 01:03:10 PM »

I'm 67 & have been taking HRT for 17 years, first Kliofem for a couple of years then I was switched to Femoston Conti. In January I was diagnosed with persistent atrial fibrillation & put on anticoagulants (blood thinners). After taking them for a month I noticed that I started to get a lot of bleeding which became very heavy and never ending so I decided to come off HRT 2 months ago & blood thinners 1 month ago. However, I am still getting erratic bleeding and painful cramps. My doctor gave me Norethisterone to stop the bleeding but when I stop taking it, the bleeding returns after a couple of days. I had a hysteroscopy last week, biopsy result still awaited but the doctor said I must stop taking HRT & Norethisterone and wait to see if bleeding settles, which it has not. It is ruining my life, so heavy and painful and I don't know what to do. Has anyone else ever experienced something similar, do you think there are any possible solutions to stop the bleeding and cramps, other than a hysterectomy? Thanks so much, xxx

Hurdity

Re: Post Menopausal Bleeding & coming off HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 10:25:55 AM »

Hi jeans1234

:welcomemm:

Unfortunately your post got missed! You've probably given up hope with this forum so I do hope not!

Also sorry to hear about your health problems and the bleeding. Sounds like your particular circumstances are what is causing the problems ie the blood thinners?

The other thing is at your age I am surprised that you are still taking oral HRT as transdermal is thought to be safer in over 60s ( as I am) re cardiovascular issues ie that the doc has not suggested changing to transdermal?

So one alternative (to hysterectomy) is to have a Mirena coil fitted and then you can take oestrogen in gel form or patch (ie transdermal) at a dose needed for your symptoms but this can also cause ongoing bleeding. Ideally you would have one of the lower dose coils which are not licensed for HRT (Jaydess or Kyleena ('sp)) but may well work with lower doses of oestrogen, without giving you excess progestogen.

Have you had the biopsy result yet?  I do hope everything is OK and do let us know how you are doing or what you've decided.

Hurdity x

Taz2

Re: Post Menopausal Bleeding & coming off HRT
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 11:50:01 AM »

Hi Jeans 1234. I'm also sorry your post got missed.  :welcomemm:

Good advice from Hurdity. I hope you are feeling better now and that the bleeding has eased. Did your GP advise coming off your blood thinners?

Taz x  :)