Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: Hospitals are not allowing visitors (social distancing and masks)  (Read 30334 times)

Kathleen

Re: social distancing and masks
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2020, 11:53:50 AM »

Hello again ladies.

Sheila 99 - I wasn't referring to you at all and I completely take your point about the Rochdale cases. Racism in all it's forms is very difficult to deal with.

Bizarrely as a white woman I believe I experienced  racism when I was younger.  The way this one incident made me feel made a big impression on me  and I haven't forgotten it.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Barnacle

« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »

"
Shady, I've found this too being a specs wearer. I've read that if you put shaving foam on them they don't steam up.Obviously you clean the foam off  ;D ;D Don't know if it really works.xx

It does help a lot, according to DH. A nurse at our local hospital told him to wipe the lenses with soapy water, shaving foam, mild shampoo etc and then to air dry them.

dangermouse

« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »

If some people (of any race) have done something it isn't racist to say so, it's fact. If the reader concludes every person of that race does the same when it hasn't been said perhaps it's the reader at fault. If I said some white women were beating up an Asian man would you conclude all white women beat up Asian men?
Absolutely racism should be called out where it exists but not when it's based on the reader's assumptions. The abuse in Rochdale shows what happens when people are so frightened of being labelled racist they don't act when they should.

it's the context in how relevant it is to describe someone's race. If its used to visually recognise someone (like a police statement to be on the lookout) then that works, but to use it when describing someone's behaviour doesnt.

Rochdale had so many racist issues, the police ignoring in case they were accused of being racist, and the racist assumption by these men that white girls were trash. The gangs being Asian wasn't relevant as not all Asian men have this belief or behave in that way. The links the police found between the gangs, which they were afraid to act upon, were the culture of those types of gangs and not the race of those involved. That part can be tricky to separate though when they are all formed of the same race! Hence, you need more information of their activities to ensure you are not barking up the wrong tree.

I think it's good to have these conversations rather than getting angry as it's helps to educate.

Kathleen

« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2020, 02:20:20 PM »

Hello again ladies.

On the steaming lenses problem I think divers spit in their masks before they dive to stop their masks steaming up.  Probably not a good idea to be seen spitting in the street at the moment!  Maybe before you leave the house?

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2020, 02:52:00 PM »

Yep - steamed up glasses is a sure way of finding out that the mask is inappropriate.

Two hoots

« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2020, 04:14:29 PM »

I watched the football last night, the Man City v Arsenal game, the players were spitting everywhere, I think its revolting  :hotflash:

When the physio came on to treat the players his mask was tucked under his nose  ???

Kathleen

« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2020, 04:42:28 PM »

Hello again ladies

When the government said spitting would be discouraged for footballers I did wonder how that would work.

I couldn't imagine the players discreetly expectorating into a hanky and slipping it into their sleeves lol. Perhaps they should be provided with a spittoon lol.

Take care all.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2020, 05:18:10 PM »

Spitting in public is an offence in the UK.

YUKCY habit  :sick02:

Joaniepat

« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »

Why does anyone need to spit? Why on earth do they do it?
JP x

Two hoots

« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2020, 07:50:04 PM »

Ive just remembered the other thing I see in sport that's disgusting, closing one nostril with their finger and clearing the other nostril

:sick02:

CLKD

« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2020, 06:25:52 AM »

The pro cyclists do that, even the women  :-\

Kathleen

« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2020, 01:48:20 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Although spitting is disgusting sporting types do it because their level of activity produces a lot of phlegm. It is possible to swallow it of course which normally happens and our stomach acid deals with it. I don't think footballers make a habit of spitting when they are not playing. The sawdust in pubs mops up spilt beer mainly and the spittoon was for smokers and tobacco chewers who also needed to clear their airways often.

As an aside I think the Paris metro used to have no spitting signs on their carriages.  A message for the Gauloise set possibly lol.

Take care ladies.

K.

Sparrow

« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2020, 02:43:53 PM »

Spitting in public is an offence in the UK.

YUKCY habit  :sick02:

Only if you deliberately spit at someone, then it is common assault.

Taz2

« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2020, 03:07:28 PM »

There are council by-laws that make spitting in public a criminal offence I believe.

Taz x

Sparrow

« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2020, 03:22:13 PM »

There are council by-laws that make spitting in public a criminal offence I believe.

Taz x

True, but that only applies in one or two councils.  It's akin to local litter laws or parking fines.  Not criminal law in the true sense.  You won't get a criminal record for it except if you refused to pay the fine.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23