Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Pros and Cons of BP Medication  (Read 1153 times)

Whatsupwiththis

Pros and Cons of BP Medication
« on: February 25, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »

I have very high, uncontrolled BP.  I've been on beta blockers, ACE Inhibitors and Calcium Channel Blockers.  I am normal weight and exercise every day and GP at wit's end as to where to go from here.  However in the last few months there has been a great deal of negative press with regards to BP medication particularly with ACE Inhibitors and some researchers are suggesting to limit BP meds.  I am now on 3 different types and am much more concerned with long term effects of these meds.  I realize that high BP can lead to all sorts but news reports are suggesting meds. can exacerbate problems.  Thoughts?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Pros and Cons of BP Medication
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 02:30:55 PM »

Often causation of high BP or fluctuating levels cannot be found.  Would an endocrinologist appt. be appropriate? There is always a reason for anomalies - have your medication regimes helped at all?  Are there food stuffs that might cause BP problems?

I take Propranolol to ease early morning anxiety surges.  I would be reluctant to stop. 

News reports where?  Who funded any 'research', was it Peer reviewed?  What does your GP/Practice Nurse think of what you have been reading?

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 02:43:17 PM »

CLKD there has been numerous news reports about ACE Inhibitors and their negative impact on the body particularly renal failure.  My situation is strictly DNA associated and I blame it on my ancestors😈.  I'll link some news reports that have been hitting the airwaves recently that definately concern me.  I've spoken at great lengths to GP but her feelings are that the alternatives are much worse than the possibiity of side effects of meds.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 02:58:50 PM »

angioedemanews.com
www.sciencedaily.com
Just 2 of several reports on ACE and Betablockers.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 02:59:41 PM »

That didn't work.  Oh well...

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 03:07:08 PM »

Don't worry we will find the link.  :)

All meds have side effects unfortunately.  :(

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »

Oh thx Shadyglade...I'm not exactly a techy (guess THAT's obvious😀).

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 07:01:39 AM »

Hi whatsupwiththis. Sorry you are having such a difficult time controlling your blood pressure. Have you been given advice as to other things you can do aside from medication to try to bring it down? The blood pressure association has good info on their site. Not sure whether you have other health conditions but brisk walking is very good together with reducing any alcohol.

Although the medications can have side effects I think those caused by a stroke would be worse?

Taz x  :hug:

Sparrow

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 09:21:40 AM »

angioedemanews.com
www.sciencedaily.com
Just 2 of several reports on ACE and Betablockers.

These look excellent sources.

I would also recommend Dr. Malcolm Kendricks website.  He has done a whole series of blogs on heart disease (67) and I am sure BP meds are covered in there somewhere.

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 10:06:18 AM »

Hello Whatsupwiththis.

I don't have any knowledge of high BP but I understand that eating a plant based diet lowers blood pressure.  This may be something else you can try to lower your BP without relying on medication.

Wishing you well.

K.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 01:32:59 PM »

Thx. Awesome ladies...Right now I am trying 😕 a better diet (no chocolate😧😟).  I am very healthy other than high BP and I'm getting frustrated that they shove more meds. that are doing ZERO for lowering said BP and may cause serious side effects down the road.  Now I have another appt. to try med. #4!  Thx. for listening.