Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Rhinitis, HRT patches  (Read 2879 times)

hwils

Rhinitis, HRT patches
« on: February 20, 2020, 06:19:52 PM »

Hello,
am fairly new to all this posting on the forum. Struggling at mo with yet another meno symptom - well I think it is- Rhinitis. Nose streaming & irritated almost constantly like I've never experienced before. Post nasal drip also, constant discomfort. I don't suffer from allergies & don't think it's a cold.  :'( Am due at nurse practitioner tomorrow to ask about HRT patches which I fancy trying to help me with poor sleep, anxiety. Feel things have got worse since periods stopped 16 months ago. Has anyone else experienced sudden onset of Rhinitis related to meno, or success generally with HRT patches?

Feather

Re: Rhinitis, HRT patches
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:31:21 PM »

Hi Hwils, I have similar, but causes blocked sinuses and pain rather than runny nose. Definitely got worse with meno! Gp gave me a corticosteroid nasal spray which worked well. I still have a bit of a post nasal drip, but not as bad as before. In 2 yrs post meno and not on HRT

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 08:40:22 PM »

Interest. I'm post meno. On patches. I have wondered why I'm constantly feeling blocked up!

hwils

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:51:51 PM »

Thanks for the responses, I think I?ll suggest one of those sprays at dr's tomorrow otherwise I'm going to struggle with this at work as I have to speak a lot in my job

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 09:43:50 PM »

Allergies can start at any age and can coincide with meno.

Sally S

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 10:02:29 PM »

I'm in peri-meno and over the past few years I've had post nasal drip issues, congested nose and allergy symptoms. The decongestant sprays work well but can only be used for short periods and I take antihistamines. I'm not on HRT. Yet.

hwils

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 11:01:26 PM »

Allergies can start at any age and can coincide with meno.
I was thinking imagine if I've developed a dust allergy & have to do more cleaning!

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 04:41:43 PM »

I started to get hayfever for the first time during peri and my hormonal headaches always feel like sinus related and have really ramped up of late. In the summer I use a steroid nasal spray and following a bad prolonged headache have started using it again this week, so may be worth a try. You can buy a weaker version from the pharmacy.

Missy

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 10:00:35 AM »

so I have been in peri for the past two years and have been taking Novofem (no problems with it seems to work well for me)  and have always had what I though suffered with Hayfever but Christmas just gone I had bad sinus pain and eyes started to swell  so obviously not hay fever! anyway long story short I have been in and out of ENT and CT scans blood tests and nothing no sinus congestion and bloods came back clear  :-\ she did say I have Allergic Rhinitis but pollen dust pets all came back negative on the bloods so have no clue what I could be allergic to. I asked the ENT consultant if hormones can cause any sinus problems she basically said no, however she also said that my pain is neurological (WTF) so im pretty sure I have seen the worst ENT consultant. I have Dymista spray one of the strongest steroids sprays to help (but it causes nose bleeds) and take fexodine hay fever tablets. I have given up gluten and this seems to have helped slightly but alas will just have to try to manage the allergy and try to find out what im allergic to (how long is a piece of string?) I am vegan also and have been for 30 years. I then found this doc interesting!

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/the-connection-between-hormones-and-allergies/

SarahK50

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 02:14:29 PM »

Have a look at histamine intolerance and hormones.
The Irish menopause Facebook page has lots of info in this