Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Atypical hyperplasia of endometrium  (Read 4462 times)

LilyAndEsme

Atypical hyperplasia of endometrium
« on: November 21, 2019, 05:51:04 AM »

Morning ladies
I was taking Vagifem a few. Months ago and stopped taking it because of side effects.. I developed Breast pain and bleeding a few weeks afterwards which I never had during the three years of being post meno.

Went to my GP who fast tracked for hysteroscopy..they found a 14mm polyp which they removed. My results came back yesterday with atypical uterine hyperplasia. If course I am very worried. Has anyone been through this experience here? I believe I'm at stage 3.

Sparrow

Re: Atypical hyperplasia of endometrium
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 08:34:54 AM »

Hi,

I've just done a Google and it seems that post memo women are offered a hysterectomy.

I wouldn't panic too much as this condition is pre cancerous. Still needs treatment though.  What have you been told about your following treatment?

Machair

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 10:02:10 AM »

Lily my heart goes out to you, I am waiting on results of a Polyp too. Had surgery last weekend- histology due tomorrow or by Tuesday at the latest. Waiting is horrid, and he mentioned Atypia which is sometimes found. Have you got an urgent follow up appointment? Thinking of you as I know this must be so hard to cope with. Feel free to PM me if you need anything- friendship helps and knowing you are not alone will help too. xxxxx

LilyAndEsme

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »

Hi ladies
I've seen my surgeon today who wants me to have a total hysterectomy. That means everything. I feel so daunted.  I've never had surgery before never mind major surgery like this.  :'(.

Machair
I hope your results come back clear. And I agree, it is a worry. My consultant at the time who did the hysteroscopy said the polyp looked benign and there wasn't too much to worry about so understandably it's a shock! PM, yes!

Thank you both for replying. It's nice to have support when something like this happens xx

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »

Lily please don't worry too much about the surgery.  It's never pleasant but it's a common place procedure and once it's done you can put it behind you.

Did they give you any leaflets extra, to put your mind at rest?

Machair

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »

Lily my heart goes out to you. If you need anything just message me, I hope this is soon behind you- what a horrible and daunting thing to face. From my understanding the op will be curative and preventative so you will have an excellent outcome for sure. How long is the wait for surgery going to be?

I had the hysteroscopy and polyp removed under GA and I was a nervous wreck. The GA was fine, just the thought of it scared me.

I am with you in spirit and as I say you can message me anytime.
xxxxxx

yellowflower

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 03:59:52 AM »

Morning ladies
I was taking Vagifem a few. Months ago and stopped taking it because of side effects.. I developed Breast pain and bleeding a few weeks afterwards which I never had during the three years of being post meno.

Went to my GP who fast tracked for hysteroscopy..they found a 14mm polyp which they removed. My results came back yesterday with atypical uterine hyperplasia. If course I am very worried. Has anyone been through this experience here? I believe I'm at stage 3.

Hi. I had a hysterectomy last year following an initial presentation of 16mm endometrial thickness. I was very lucky to have "weakly secretory lining", but had been told to prepare for hyperplasia or cancer. If you present with hyperplasia it is usually suggested to get a hysterectomy. Uterine cancer is very slow growing and even that is usually fixed via hysterectomy. It was explained to me that hyperplasia in a small percentage of cases can go on to become cancer and that is why they recommend hysterectomy. I had extensive repairs done as well and they also found an external fibroid that had been missed on all the scans.

Try not to worry yourself. Most of these issues are very treatable.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »

Hi. I had a hysterectomy last year following an initial presentation of 16mm endometrial thickness. I was very lucky to have "weakly secretory lining", but had been told to prepare for hyperplasia or cancer. If you present with hyperplasia it is usually suggested to get a hysterectomy. Uterine cancer is very slow growing and even that is usually fixed via hysterectomy. It was explained to me that hyperplasia in a small percentage of cases can go on to become cancer and that is why they recommend hysterectomy. I had extensive repairs done as well and they also found an external fibroid that had been missed on all the scans.

Try not to worry yourself. Most of these issues are very treatable.

Hysterectomy is not the usual treatment for all endometrial hyperplasia! Hyperplasia can be simple or complex and with or without atypia (meaning the cells are showing suspicious changes). Hysterectomy would only be recommended for atypia. Simple hyperplasia without atypia can be treated with progestogens.

Lily and Esme - sorry to hear this. As you have atypical hyperplasia this is why a hysterectomy has been recommended. I can understand why you are daunted as I would be - not ever having had a operation either. Maybe start a new thread as there are lots of women on here who have had hysterectomies who will be able to support and reassure you. When is your op? Try not to worry in the meantime and try to fill your time with things to take your rmind off it...early Christmas preparations?

Hurdity x

Two hoots

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 03:14:21 PM »

I had a fibroid removed in August, when I saw the consultant she said it had "changes" and offered me a hysterectomy.  It was not at all what I expected to hear and I also have not had an operation of any sort or general anaesthetic. I asked if there was an alternative which really surprised her, she said I could have a D and C and a mirena coil fitted at the same time, and to go away and think about it.

Well I did lots of reading and opted for the D and C, which I had done in September, I did have a general anaesthetic but was only in hospital for a few hours.  It was a huge relief my results came back clear, no further treatment required.

yellowflower

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 08:06:37 PM »

This is an excellent article in simple language:

https://familydoctor.org/condition/endometrial-hyperplasia/

LilyAndEsme

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 06:16:17 PM »

Hello ladies
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thank you for your support. I'm going to start a new thread and update everyone. It will probably be tomorrow now.

Bless you all.