Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 196370 times)

Blot

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2190 on: June 14, 2020, 11:35:40 AM »

Our local nhs trust reckons it's going to take 5 years to make up for the backlog of missed appointments and treatments. The nhs is in for a rough ride so I don't even want to think about a second wave in the winter.
I pray they get a vaccine sorted ASAP.

And as for all the people who are inevitably going to lose their jobs?  it's a nightmare.

Anybody think they will lockdown again?

Blot

« Reply #2191 on: June 14, 2020, 11:54:28 AM »

The country will be on its knees when shops and the hospitality industry open up but with social distancing measures. They won't be able to make enough money and there are going to be thousands of job losses.
I dont know what the answer is.

littleminnie

« Reply #2192 on: June 14, 2020, 12:10:18 PM »

I think the 2 metre rule will change in time for the hospitality industry opening up.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2193 on: June 14, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »

We went to Lanzarote at the end of January, on the way back, our son rang and said he was off work with ?flu?. He told me then, ?Mom, I've never felt so ill.?  Lasted about 4/5 days.
Makes me wonder if he had it then too. 🤷‍♀️

Barnacle

« Reply #2194 on: June 14, 2020, 12:58:19 PM »

Anybody think they will lockdown again?

I think they might try to enforce a lockdown on certain districts, but i can't see it happening to the entire country again.

Barnacle

« Reply #2195 on: June 14, 2020, 01:05:32 PM »

I think the 2 metre rule will change in time for the hospitality industry opening up.

There is talk of them announcing a relaxation on it very soon, but Whitty and Valance are very much against it. Couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2196 on: June 14, 2020, 04:23:37 PM »

It was certainly Wauhan in November.  There is still a thought that it 'escaped'  :o.  Still the World trades with China  :-\

Until we get antibody testing, we won't know if we have been infected.  Will be the most interesting survey I think .

Tc

« Reply #2197 on: June 14, 2020, 05:54:08 PM »

Me too. If I test positive for anti bodies I will know exactly when I had it..it was  after I went on the tube in rush hour.  I had a virus unlike anything I have ever had before. And it was the first week in February.

Completely unrelated to that my aunt flew over from Holland in late january to visit her son and ended up in hospital twice. They couldnt understand why her oxygen levels kept going so low.  She was collapsing when walking upstairs or for any distance. .  Never had anything like it in her life.  Saw her own doc when she got back to Holland during February by then everything was normal and he couldnt explain the results which had been sent to him nor come up with a reason for it.  She hasnt had it since.

Makes you go hmmmm doesnt it?

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2198 on: June 14, 2020, 07:53:10 PM »

Hmmmmm, it certainly does TC. It really does!

That's because most things COME from China, CLKD.
Everything, where's it made? CHINA!

CLKD

« Reply #2199 on: June 15, 2020, 07:54:04 AM »

And we are sending things to China .  Still.  Anyone see the report of the very large container ship arriving in the UK yesterday filled with stuff. From China.  It will return with things from the UK  :'(

Hurdity

« Reply #2200 on: June 15, 2020, 08:15:34 AM »

I caught a few points on this thread.

So just to be clear, herd immunity is a very important way of dealing with a disease. The crucial question is how you get there. The controversy was over what appeared to be the strategy of achieving it rhough letting the disease rampage unchecked through the population. Obviously an absurd idea and they seem to be getting nearer to that in Brazil through their inept leader. Well not quite but pretty bad.

Getting to herd immunity through vaccination is the main way of achieving protection.  If an effective vaccine (that prevents serious cases of the disease and that lasts 12 months at least) cannot be found then it will remain a very serious disease, and we will then have to rely on treatments, again to minimise the need for ventilation and deaths.

I agree when the antibody tests are more widely available this will be illuminating! They are currently only very limited, presumably because they need to be manufactured in very large quantities. Here is more information: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-antibody-tests/coronavirus-covid-19-antibody-tests

Finally, over 70's have never had to isolate, but as vulnerable ( not clinically extremely vulnerable) they had and still have to take particular care over observing the lockdown rules and adhering to social distancing etc. Nor was it ever illegal specifically for over 70's to go out in the sense that the same rules (and legal framework) applied to all of us except for those of all ages who were/are "shielding". Not even sure if it was illegal for the shielders to go out but strongly recommended for their own protection?

Goods from China (and other countries). So?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #2201 on: June 15, 2020, 08:27:02 AM »

Human Rights Abuses for starters.  Not being honest about the initial cause of this Pandemic ......... becoming reliant on 1 country for our needs when much was manufactured in the UK ....... getting rid of the cheap clothes/food idea?  Not becoming reliant for our medication, made in India but ingredients sourced in China ..........

I don't understand your comment about the over 70s.  They had to isolate.  No one in government was concerned enough to find out whether the over 70s were healthy or had underlying conditions which meant stay at home.  They were all lumped into the same cage.  They were given 3 months isolation.  Not even allowed an hours daily exercise, though some I know did go out early or very late.

Sparrow

« Reply #2202 on: June 15, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »

Human Rights Abuses for starters.  Not being honest about the initial cause of this Pandemic ......... becoming reliant on 1 country for our needs when much was manufactured in the UK ....... getting rid of the cheap clothes/food idea?  Not becoming reliant for our medication, made in India but ingredients sourced in China ..........

I don't understand your comment about the over 70s.  They had to isolate.  No one in government was concerned enough to find out whether the over 70s were healthy or had underlying conditions which meant stay at home.  They were all lumped into the same cage.  They were given 3 months isolation.  Not even allowed an hours daily exercise, though some I know did go out early or very late.

Over 70s did not HAVE to isolate.  They were advised to do so.  My sister, who is 72, has been isolating but only because she received a text from her Surgery advising her to because of her asthma.  Nothing to do with her age mentioned.  Also she has been going out for a daily walk every day.

Don't understand your comments on trade with China.  How would stopping trade be possible or beneficial??
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:01:41 AM by Shadyglade »

Jeepers

« Reply #2203 on: June 15, 2020, 09:44:19 AM »

America has a lot of human rights abuse too... And Boris describes them as our best ally.

I agree that we should be more self sufficient, and not abandon all our manufacturing , it puts people out of work, and it also leaves us vulnerable.

But unfortunately, it's all about profits.

Jeepers xx

Sparrow

« Reply #2204 on: June 15, 2020, 09:56:46 AM »

America has a lot of human rights abuse too... And Boris describes them as our best ally.

I agree that we should be more self sufficient, and not abandon all our manufacturing , it puts people out of work, and it also leaves us vulnerable.

But unfortunately, it's all about profits.

Jeepers xx

Don't forget the Gulf States either.  But of course we need the oil.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 179