Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 198558 times)

pants46

• Still Struggling
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1050 on: March 28, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »

Actually, Boots are running a trial (its on the first few days) of drive through testing stations. Currently each one can test 600 to 800 people a day. Results in 24 hours.
But only available to NHS front line workers at the moment ... rightly so.
So progress is being made.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1051 on: March 28, 2020, 02:13:15 PM »

So the tests aren't available to the public to buy ?  as suggested by Public Health England.

Letters in the Telegraph make interesting reading. 

I came on here to say something, of course, being menopausal - it's gone  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #1052 on: March 28, 2020, 02:40:25 PM »

Well that would be a start  :cupcake:

Once it's gone it's gone  :D

jaycee

« Reply #1053 on: March 28, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »

What about those of us who don't have cars to drive through, how will we be tested?

CLKD

« Reply #1054 on: March 28, 2020, 03:36:56 PM »

have a look at your local NHS or Public Health England jaycee to see which areas are being supported with drive through?

Do you feel it necessary for yourself?

Joaniepat

« Reply #1055 on: March 28, 2020, 03:38:08 PM »

😁 bake! I have hundreds of homemade scones in the freezer now.
So it was you who bought up all the flour!
 ;D

Joaniepat

« Reply #1056 on: March 28, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »

What about those of us who don't have cars to drive through, how will we be tested?
Initially the testing is for frontline NHS staff, and by invitation only. I believe it is for those self-isolating to find out if they actually have the virus.

JP x

ElkWarning

« Reply #1057 on: March 28, 2020, 04:18:53 PM »

I'm befuddled by the idea that somehow the rules are vague or there's a lack of information.  For days now the gvt have been saying STAY AT HOME, PROTECT THE NHS, SAVE LIVES.  I'm not sure how that can be misinterpreted. 

The guidance was published on Monday 23rd March and is available here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

Difficulties only seem to arise where people seem to want to see if they fit into the 'exceptions' category, e.g. can 'travelling for work purposes' be expanded to 'travelling for exercising my dog purposes'?  Or, does 'stay at home' mean 'leave home and go to my holiday cottage / caravan / for a walk in the countryside'?  Or, does 'shopping for basic necessities' include 'shopping for non-basic necessities and having frequent little trips out'?

At any point where people are saying 'Oh but ...' what they're actually doing is refusing to stay at home, refusing to protect the NHS and refusing to save lives.  I don't know what makes them think they're so important that they need to put the rest of us, including our front line workers, at risk.

Ok, so my most ?local? shop is 9 miles away. If there was a 2 kilometre lockdown like there is in Ireland now, we couldn't shop.
I am not attempting to get out of the lockdown at all or fulfil my desire to travel the country. I am genuinely confused about what the term ?local? means? As I said, if I were to walk my dog as locally as possible, I would be coming into close contact with many other neighbours also walking their dogs locally.
I live in Suffolk. It is flat, there is absolutely no risk for anyone getting stuck on a mountain. And all the local walks are footpaths around fields. Everyone here has at least one dog.
If I drive two miles in any direction I see no other cars, no people, shops, pubs or garages. So yes, I am confused as to what it means for the risk of contamination if I choose to drive to more open countryside to walk my dog.
I live in the sticks!
I understand if you live in a town, city or even a village and I understand we can't have folk driving miles out if their local area to have a country walk. But I live in the sticks. So the information needs to be specific.
And fwiw, since the lockdown there are MORE people here in the lane outside my house walking dogs and children than ever before. So by keeping it very local they have increased the risk of contamination, surely?

Your most local shop is the one that's nearest to you.  Your most local supermarket is the one that's nearest to you.

I walk my dog locally, I live in the middle of Brighton.  I manage to do this without coming within 6ft of anyone else and it's massively densely populated.  One way of avoiding contact, for example, is to go out early in the morning or late in the evening.

The reason for not driving isn't just about contamination (although even putting petrol in the car is a weak spot in terms of infection control), accidents (cluttering up the NHS), using resources that will likely be in short supply (fuel); but I guess most importantly it's because the cops aren't mind readers / don't have crystal balls - how on earth would they know who was popping a couple of miles up the road and who'd driven 10 miles to get out and about?  So, blanket ban, easiest way to do it.  Doesn't have to be fair.  Doesn't have to be logical for 100% of people.  Just has to have maximum benefit for maximum number and be resource efficient.

^^ Oh, and people have to be seen to not having an unfair advantage.  Panic, along with civil unrest, is a real danger.  Folks living in tower blocks in London, queuing three hours for food, with a 5,000 bed exhibition arena for a hospital, and swimming pools being converted into temporary morgues, aren't going to really appreciate seeing pictures of the waxed jacket brigade.  The cops struggle to keep a lid on it at the best of times.  If we're all in it together, people have to believe that.

Katejo

« Reply #1058 on: March 28, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »

😁 bake! I have hundreds of homemade scones in the freezer now.
I I might do similar soon but hesitate because my current lack of exercise compared to usual will lead to .me putting on weight!

CLKD

« Reply #1059 on: March 28, 2020, 08:40:59 PM »

The Police in the North are using drones and Numberplate Recognition technology to find out where people have driven from .  A bit OTT when we are being told to keep out of the way of others  :-\.  Under the State of Emergency rules do not have to go to Law until after the crisis is over. ........ though many are being put forwards when Government comes back after recess.

Town and gown will never agree.  Town don't have to walk anywhere far, have shops close by, even in these circumstances.  In the countryside we have to drive to get food if there isn't a PO or village shop  :-\.  My nearest big towns are 12 miles away and Sainsburys further ...... two towns 4 and 7 miles away which means driving. Paying to park.  Shopping and driving home.  Can take as much as 4-5 hours all told.  Even to the shop in the village should we be buying heavy items either for us or the neighbours, this is normal in usual times if anyone shouts across 'can you get x, y, Z " .....   there's never been a 'pop to the shops' option here!

No close clothes shops unless 1 wants to pay hi-end prices with little choices.  No knicker shops for 12 miles  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #1060 on: March 28, 2020, 08:56:35 PM »

There's going to be a lot of this uncertainty - but it may be that the bug overtook her other chronic conditions.  I was thinking about her in the early hours  :'(.  So sorry for your news  :hug:  [my Dad's certificate states 'prostate cancer' but it wasn't ....... but that was the last Consultant that he had been seen by, 4 years previously.  The Home refused to get the Consultant to visit Dad and he was too weak to be taken to the Appt..  I was livid at the time as Mum wouldn't let me arrange a DV at the home.   >:(. ]

CLKD

« Reply #1061 on: March 28, 2020, 09:09:46 PM »

Maybe get hold of the funeral director who may have access to more information or if there is a patient support group, i.e. PALS? though they are probably working from home.  How certain are they that your Aunt wasn't tested for C-19?  Is it in her notes that she wasn't given the test?  I think that the Consultant should go through the notes with her son to clarify exactly what tests were done. 

Donnadoobie

« Reply #1062 on: March 28, 2020, 09:20:42 PM »

Just going back  to driving to the local shop. 

We live in a small Norfolk village, the closest shop is just over a mile and a half away, not far I near you say.  What I did not say was that 3/4 of that journey is without a pavement, on a winding country lane.  Dangerous as it is still a 60 miles an hour speed limit. No bus, the bus stop is a mile away.

It takes 25 minutes to walk there which is fine, walking back with bags of shopping, not so easy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:03:22 PM by Donnadoobie »

Barnacle

« Reply #1063 on: March 28, 2020, 09:45:24 PM »

Don't move across the border and join us in suffolk Teresa, you will have to learn a new language.That doesn't come easy at our age  ;)

sheila99

« Reply #1064 on: March 28, 2020, 09:47:01 PM »

Birdy I'm sorry for your loss. The home may be just as confused. They wouldn't want CV on the death certificate either as that has implications for them too. Probably unlikely the doctor will do anything about it, most seem to be doing their best to avoid patients atm. My Dad died from pneumonia in hospital following a fall. His death certificate said dementia. He had mild dementia but he fell because he was old and weak not because he had dementia. I didn't get anywhere trying to get it changed. He watched his mother decline with dementia and was terrified of getting it himself, it's so sad that it's now forever on his death certificate.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 179