Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194129 times)

Taz2

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1020 on: March 28, 2020, 01:29:26 AM »

I'm not sure whether we are supposed to be moving from house to house/area to area which is why house sales have been stopped at the minute as much as possible but I appreciate you need to help your son.  My son was talking about coming home for a while but his brothers dissuaded him. We are in a position to help him with rent if he needs it. He is working from his room in his house share at the moment. I do worry for him being on his own. Did he lose his job through the epidemic as landlords are being encouraged not to evict due to inability to pay rent if a job is lost due to CV.

Maybe you could get advice? You need to protect yourselves and him as much as possible but our instincts are to have our children home with us...well mine are..but it's not always wise.

Taz x  :-\

Katejo

« Reply #1021 on: March 28, 2020, 05:46:46 AM »

The rule is very vague.  It says to stay 'local'.  What is local?? A mile, 3 miles, etc.,  It's too wide open to interpretation.
  I think local is whatever distance you can walk from home and back without car transport. Or a short cycle ride. I have just read a post from someone in my walk group who went for a short bike ride yesterday via a local park. He saw a police car in the park and one of the officers pointed to the park exit and said  "the cycle path is that way Sir".

ElkWarning

« Reply #1022 on: March 28, 2020, 07:42:53 AM »

Blot - from the government guidance 'House moves should be delayed unless moving is unavoidable'.  In other words, it's unavoidable, so you're fine.

I'm befuddled by the idea that somehow the rules are vague or there's a lack of information.  For days now the gvt have been saying STAY AT HOME, PROTECT THE NHS, SAVE LIVES.  I'm not sure how that can be misinterpreted. 

The guidance was published on Monday 23rd March and is available here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

Difficulties only seem to arise where people seem to want to see if they fit into the 'exceptions' category, e.g. can 'travelling for work purposes' be expanded to 'travelling for exercising my dog purposes'?  Or, does 'stay at home' mean 'leave home and go to my holiday cottage / caravan / for a walk in the countryside'?  Or, does 'shopping for basic necessities' include 'shopping for non-basic necessities and having frequent little trips out'?

At any point where people are saying 'Oh but ...' what they're actually doing is refusing to stay at home, refusing to protect the NHS and refusing to save lives.  I don't know what makes them think they're so important that they need to put the rest of us, including our front line workers, at risk.

Blot

« Reply #1023 on: March 28, 2020, 08:04:00 AM »

I'm really not being selfis here. I would rather he stayed where he is. He's in a flat share with two others and they are all moving out. Two of them have lost their jobs and the other is a student. Yes the job losses  are due to cv but even if the landlord defers the rent for a while they will still have to make up the difference later if they all get other jobs. All the available supermarket jobs etc in the area were snapped up straight away. The 2 workers have tried all areas to find work but have been unsuccessful.

He's not doing it coz he wants to but he's being forced to. Not like he's moving to the country to a second home sort of thing.

Thanks Elk. It is unavoidable I suppose unless we had the means to fork out the rent for who knows how many months. I'm front line nhs as well so I'm really aware of putting anyone at risk. I just wouldn't do it.

Taz2

« Reply #1024 on: March 28, 2020, 08:50:36 AM »

I understand completely Blot. I just wondered if he'd lost his job through CV as then he will eventually get eighty percent of his wage paid by the government if I understand it right. The lad who served me in the supermarket had moved back home when the uni closed. His mum and dad made him strip off in the porch and followed the instructions about washing his clothes etc. As you say if he really can't afford to stay where he is then it is essential travel. My son is finding it very strange living on his own in a house usually occupied by six. They all travelled back to their own countries a few weeks back.

Good luck with the moving

Taz x

Blot

« Reply #1025 on: March 28, 2020, 09:02:32 AM »

Thanks Taz. It was just a bar job and gave him just enough money to get by on so he would struggle.

I would much rather not have to do this and feel very bad about it. I will be very careful. I don't know of any other way of getting his possessions home as there are no removal people working and he only has the things in his room to bring back.

Tbh myself and hubby still go out to work and pose more of a risk to him than he does to us because of our jobs. Unfortunately neither of us can work from home.

This is sending my anxiety through the roof.

Sparrow

« Reply #1026 on: March 28, 2020, 09:19:52 AM »

It's difficult times Blot but your judgement call sounds right to me.

Good luck with the move and stay safe.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1027 on: March 28, 2020, 09:23:04 AM »

I would suspect that this wouldn't be seen as an essential journey.  Has he contacted the Landlord for advice?  Could he store most of his belongings at the property therefore it will be 1 journey there to collect him home?  After all the Landlord should be arranging for a deep clean of the total property B4 renting it again. 

I think it's dreadful that people have spent ?K on buying and moving to be told to stop particularly as the Government's distancing role simply hasn't worked, especially at the TOP  >:(.  In a chain free move it should be possible to Complete even if one doesn't physically transport to another area.  The housing market will slow due to people losing their jobs anyway.

Sparrow

« Reply #1028 on: March 28, 2020, 09:24:21 AM »

You?re fine blot,to me that IS essential
Just saw on the news it's now BRIEF exercise,for goodness sake,don't know if I'm coming or going with all this :-\

I thought it was only me that found it confusing.  We will have to start a club. 'The responsible but confused club'

Two hoots

« Reply #1029 on: March 28, 2020, 09:27:19 AM »

My son came home a week ago, he lives/works 50 miles away, his work closed so he didn't need to stay. The main reason for him coming home was, if he was sick who would look after him, he lives in a shared house, we felt that if any if us needed care home was the best place.

If he wanted to come home and going to collect him was the best option, not using public transport, I would do it without hesitation.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1030 on: March 28, 2020, 09:28:01 AM »

jillydoll any updates?

dangermouse

« Reply #1031 on: March 28, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »

I suspect they are saying brief as someone could go out on a bike for hours on end.

I havent managed to get out this week as too busy with work so hope I don't miss out before Ive got started! I will have a letter to show police for my work but obviously would not abuse that.

Blot

« Reply #1032 on: March 28, 2020, 09:56:12 AM »

CLKD it's not feasible to store his belonging at the property if the landlord is going to do a deep clean? How would that work? They would chuck his stuff away. Top and bottom of it is that they can't afford to pay the rent, regardless if the rent payments are deferred. They are still going to have to make up the shortfall later on.

I will just have to chance it and if I'm stopped then so be it. I'm not putting anybody at risk, I won't even go into the flat and will social distance all the way.

Blot

« Reply #1033 on: March 28, 2020, 10:30:55 AM »

Thanks Jaypo. I'm a nervous wreck at the best of times but I'm sky high with this. I really do overthink to a ridiculous degree 🙁

Tc

« Reply #1034 on: March 28, 2020, 10:40:03 AM »

Joanie, pants, jilly how are you all today?

Does anyone know what advice is about taking anti biotics right now? I mean for other less serious infections ?  I'm so tired. Slept all day yesterday and found it hard to get up. Sore throat. I feel rough today.  But I get bad sinuses and they've been bad for a couple weeks now..   I think its turned to infection I know by when I blow (blood streaked and nasty  ) sorry if tmi. Normally once it gets like that doc gives me anti biotics.    .

X

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 179