Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 196111 times)

sheila99

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #795 on: March 22, 2020, 02:25:28 PM »

The last foot and mouth outbreak and BSE were both caused by bad practice in our own farming industry.  Then there was the horse meat scandal, remember that?
Absolute bullsh*t. Foot and mouth was brought in by infected meat. If customs hadn't let it in we couldn't have had an outbreak.
BSE was caused by infected brains in animal feed. The label on a bag of feed says x% protein, it doesn't say where it comes from. Animal products are now banned in cattle feed, they weren't then. No one knowingly fed infected brains to their cows, why would they risk their own livelihood?

Just a suggestion but when you don't know what you're taking about it might be better to keep quiet.

Sparrow

« Reply #796 on: March 22, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »

Please don't tell me what to do.

It came from feeding meat and bone meal to calves.  That happened here and were it was sourced won't charge that fact.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:34:18 PM by Shadyglade »

sheila99

« Reply #797 on: March 22, 2020, 02:40:28 PM »

You said it caused by bad farming practice. It wasn't as you have now admitted, it was the bad practice of the feed manufacturers. Perhaps you've never read the label on a bag of feed, I have.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #798 on: March 22, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »

.......... and I have.  How many people realised that the basis of most animal feed was fish meal until recent years?  I won't eat turkey having smelt one cooking ...... it smelt of fish  >:(

The last F&M outbreak happened due to a farmer feeding old food stuffs [can't remember exactly what it was] which should never have been on his farm.  It was initially thought that a thrown away ham sandwich was the cause ......... which said to me that none of our food is good enough for human consumption, but that was discredited eventually. 

However - song birds are not 'game' .  It is illegal.  Which is another reason why I never wanted to be in Europe but I digress  ::)

It appears that the incubation is 2 weeks?  Is that now certain? 

bear

« Reply #799 on: March 22, 2020, 04:08:08 PM »

Err... how does it help any to argue the toss about where CV originated??

Let's just get on with slowing the infection rate.

Hi girls,

To prevent 'novel virus' outbreaks from zoonotic sources, which is certainly going to happen according to The International Society for Infectious Diseases.

Go vegan, people.

BeaR

CLKD

« Reply #800 on: March 22, 2020, 04:10:19 PM »

;D. shan't  ;D [is that the correct spelling]

It is a rare event.  If the ISID stopped the source of infections it would be less likely to happen.

It does light up the fact how many people were flying round the World 24/7 I had never heard of that place in China until this outbreak and there were several thousand in and out of there daily. 

Sparrow

« Reply #801 on: March 22, 2020, 04:11:45 PM »

Don't forget the Black Death happened without the aid of Easyjet.

CLKD

« Reply #802 on: March 22, 2020, 04:16:03 PM »

The decision after consideration is taken with the interest of everyone, visitors, members of staff and our social responsibilities.

We are in the unknown, we don't know what the future for the zoo will be.

Will we survive? When will we re-open? Will we have sufficient funds to continue??

Colchester Zoo has faced long-term closures before, having had to combat a Foot and Mouth Disease outbreak in 2001.

Coronavirus will strike anywhere, anytime and of course it is aimed at humans not animals, so hugely different to FMD,? the letter continues.

During FMD we were also closed for weeks, we recovered with the help of our amazing supporters.

I recall people sending donations, children breaking their piggy banks and donating whatever they had to the zoo".

Rats Shadyglade ........... ?

Can anyone explain how people being admitted to Hospital have the virus but not all will have been tested  :-\.  Surely it's by testing that true figures are found? I put a search in to see how many affected in areas across the UK and the cop out is 'not all will have been tested'  :-\
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:29:10 PM by CLKD »

Night_Owl

« Reply #803 on: March 22, 2020, 05:31:32 PM »

Err... how does it help any to argue the toss about where CV originated??

Let's just get on with slowing the infection rate.

Errrr ... an astounding viewpoint.  The origin is SO important.  Good grief.

sheila99

« Reply #804 on: March 22, 2020, 05:38:12 PM »

The last F&M outbreak happened due to a farmer feeding old food stuffs [can't remember exactly what it was] which should never have been on his farm.  It was initially thought that a thrown away ham sandwich was the cause ......... which said to me that none of our food is good enough for human consumption, but that was discredited eventually. 
Foot and mouth is rife in many countries but the UK does not import fresh meat from them. So this disease was brought into the country through illegal activity, either catering waste or carried in by an invidual. Look at the difference between how Australia deals with potentially infected animal products and the UK. It's still going on, not even a temperature check for people coming from China. The evidence for fmd was eaten so we don't actually know for definite where it came from. We did know it was in a few pigs before the market in Longtown that spread it up and down the country. If they'd implemented the stand still before it instead of after it would probably have remained an isolated case. Seems we learned nothing as we have been, and still are, allowing CV to spread throughout the country.

Jari

« Reply #805 on: March 22, 2020, 05:51:55 PM »

sheila99

« Reply #806 on: March 22, 2020, 06:08:52 PM »

I don't think this is an excuse to stuff veganism down our throats. Humans have developed as omnivores.

bear

« Reply #807 on: March 22, 2020, 06:20:46 PM »

Hi sheila99,

Not stuffing anything... just hoping humans keep evolving as a rational species instead of being stuck as prehistoric omnivores.

BeaR.

sheila99

« Reply #808 on: March 22, 2020, 06:34:10 PM »

No chance of that. We'll have destroyed the planet and ourselves long before we have time to evolve.

bear

« Reply #809 on: March 22, 2020, 06:43:20 PM »

No chance of that. We'll have destroyed the planet and ourselves long before we have time to evolve.

That's when science, technology and rationality have to step in. Human evolution is different from natural evolution. We can be proactive and accelerate it. I don't think many humans are well informed enough to work together to control this crisis, but maybe natural evolution is already doing the job for us via natural selection by a nasty virus.

BeaR.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 179