Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194098 times)

yellowflower

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #780 on: March 22, 2020, 12:47:07 AM »

I'm taking care of my brother at the moment who has been seriously unwell. He lives by the coast and today we sat out on his terrace and could clearly see people on the beach having tailgate parties and barbeques in the sunshine. People are not getting the message over how serious this is. The Government needs to put the UK on lockdown.

Thusfar our death toll day on day is following almost an identical trajectory to Italy's.

We had to close our beaches in Sydney today because 1000's of complete dickheads decided to descend on Bondi yesterday. Their attitude seems to be that they are young and healthy and to hell with everyone else. I think this level of idiocy should be dealt with severely. Give them a huge on the spot fine.

Katejo

« Reply #781 on: March 22, 2020, 03:51:03 AM »

I'm taking care of my brother at the moment who has been seriously unwell. He lives by the coast and today we sat out on his terrace and could clearly see people on the beach having tailgate parties and barbeques in the sunshine. People are not getting the message over how serious this is. The Government needs to put the UK on lockdown.

Thusfar our death toll day on day is following almost an identical trajectory to Italy's.

We had to close our beaches in Sydney today because 1000's of complete dickheads decided to descend on Bondi yesterday. Their attitude seems to be that they are young and healthy and to hell with everyone else. I think this level of idiocy should be dealt with severely. Give them a huge on the spot fine.
I saw that on the news last night. They are very foolish and selfish.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #782 on: March 22, 2020, 09:58:01 AM »

It's instant Jail in some countries.

Foreign Aid is a different budget and legally agreed upon with other Countries.  It would take months even to get to Parliament to be read as an issue.  The fault lies with consecutive UK Governments cutting back in the NHS - they didn't listen to front line staff.  If the public knew how many items of expensive kit lays around our Hospitals because once purchased, they couldn't fund the Staff to operate them  :-X.  Kit which could be used 24/7 ......... then the Government has the cheek to fine Health Authorities that don't meet 'targets' which are set by people with no medical knowledge .............. if I could growl I would  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #783 on: March 22, 2020, 11:15:27 AM »

It's genetic.  Remember when we were that age, everything seemed bright and surmountable.  When it affects groups then they may step back and listen.  Until then, unless the Government bans all movement which isn't really possible as we all have to eat .........

Night_Owl

« Reply #784 on: March 22, 2020, 12:23:05 PM »

A worthwhile read:

https://www.viva.org.uk/blog/only-dress-rehearsal

Extract:
Of course, coronavirus didn't originate like this but is thought to have come from one of China's ?wet? seafood markets where caged animals are also bought and slaughtered to order. I really can't face describing it in any greater detail but up to 100 different species of wild creatures can be on offer, from pythons to baby deer, bats to civet cats, chickens and wolf cubs ? yes wolf cubs. But before we be too righteous, look in any posh butchers in the right season and you?ll see a whole menagerie of wild animals hanging up ? hares and rabbits, pheasants and partridge, muntjac deer and ducks.

It is thought that this new coronavirus spread from bats to pangolins and no one could possibly have predicted that, could they? Well, no ? unless you discount the outbreak of SARS, another coronavirus that appeared in China in 2004, which infected some 8,000 people and killed 774. The source? Civet cats, which again are thought to have picked the virus up from bats!

CLKD

« Reply #785 on: March 22, 2020, 12:27:16 PM »

hi Night_Owl. Yep. they eats some strange things in Asia.

However, the Game Market across Europe is tightly controlled.  They are 'meant' to be eaten if that makes sense where as wolves, bats, cats are not.  Unless 1 is captured when anything would do for protein.  Most Games is shot on the run and not kept in cages for weeks on end.  So is as fresh a source of protein as it is possible to get.  I was raised on pigeon pie ;-).  Dad shot as necessary to put extra meat on the table, we didn't have a fridge in the 1950s so it had to be fresh. 

Sadly the Chinese go their own way ........ with no building regs., a high level of human abuse  :'( but still the 1st World buys from them?

Night_Owl

« Reply #786 on: March 22, 2020, 12:34:40 PM »

Not to forget the barbaric practice of eating **live**  creatures. 

Check it out online - if you have the stomach for it.  eg. small dogs  / creatures COOKED ALIVE.  The stuff of nightmares.

**Culture Is Never an Excuse for Animal Cruelty**

**Tradition Is Never an Excuse for Cruelty**

The world needs to be mindful of where the virus originated - and HOW.

CLKD

« Reply #787 on: March 22, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »

Where did she get it from  :-\

I agree Night_Owl.  Can't understand people eating oysters either  :-X >:(

Jari

« Reply #788 on: March 22, 2020, 12:59:57 PM »

A worthwhile read:

https://www.viva.org.uk/blog/only-dress-rehearsal

Extract:
Of course, coronavirus didn't originate like this but is thought to have come from one of China's ?wet? seafood markets where caged animals are also bought and slaughtered to order. I really can't face describing it in any greater detail but up to 100 different species of wild creatures can be on offer, from pythons to baby deer, bats to civet cats, chickens and wolf cubs ? yes wolf cubs. But before we be too righteous, look in any posh butchers in the right season and you?ll see a whole menagerie of wild animals hanging up ? hares and rabbits, pheasants and partridge, muntjac deer and ducks.

It is thought that this new coronavirus spread from bats to pangolins and no one could possibly have predicted that, could they? Well, no ? unless you discount the outbreak of SARS, another coronavirus that appeared in China in 2004, which infected some 8,000 people and killed 774. The source? Civet cats, which again are thought to have picked the virus up from bats!

I agree night owl. It is so grim!!

If interested google Ricky gervais and Peter Egan who are campaigning for a stop to live animal markets. So cruel!!

Sparrow

« Reply #789 on: March 22, 2020, 01:24:13 PM »

However, the Game Market across Europe is tightly controlled.  They are 'meant' to be eaten if that makes sense where as wolves, bats, cats are not.  Unless 1 is captured when anything would do for protein.  Most Games is shot on the run and not kept in cages for weeks on end.  So is as fresh a source of protein as it is possible to get.  I was raised on pigeon pie ;-).  Dad shot as necessary to put extra meat on the table, we didn't have a fridge in the 1950s so it had to be fresh. 

Sadly the Chinese go their own way ........ with no building regs., a high level of human abuse  :'( but still the 1st World buys from them?

Don't know about tightly controlled.  What about the catching and eating of song birds, in Malta and France.  Supposed to be illegal but still goes on. 

The virus is not passed on from cooked Bush meat as the cooking process kills it.  Touching the animal is enough so a child picking up a dead bat could do it.

The Spanish Flu of 1918 actually originated in a army camp in America.  Pigs were the source there.

An outbreak of the plague in 19th century California was caused by white farmers catching and killing Ground Squirrels.  It was wrongly blamed on the local Latino population so nothing has changed much.

Night_Owl

« Reply #790 on: March 22, 2020, 02:00:54 PM »

Don't know about tightly controlled.  What about the catching and eating of song birds, in Malta and France.  Supposed to be illegal but still goes on. 

The virus is not passed on from cooked Bush meat as the cooking process kills it.  Touching the animal is enough so a child picking up a dead bat could do it.

The Spanish Flu of 1918 actually originated in a army camp in America.  Pigs were the source there.

An outbreak of the plague in 19th century California was caused by white farmers catching and killing Ground Squirrels.  It was wrongly blamed on the local Latino population so nothing has changed much.

Shadyglade, "nothing much has changed"  -  meaning what in the context of Covid-19?

Sparrow

« Reply #791 on: March 22, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »

Exactly what I said.  There has been no scientifically based conclusions for the source of the outbreak.  Just speculation.

The last foot and mouth outbreak and BSE were both caused by bad practice in our own farming industry.  Then there was the horse meat scandal, remember that?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:12:19 PM by Shadyglade »

sheila99

« Reply #792 on: March 22, 2020, 02:05:26 PM »

The UK is just as guilty of enabling animal cruelty in the name of religion. Every food animal has to be stunned before death except for halal meat, they have their throats slit while fully aware of it.
IMO if you choose to live in someone else's country you abide by their morals. Only in the UK does 'religious freedom' come above our own values.

Night_Owl

« Reply #793 on: March 22, 2020, 02:13:28 PM »

Exactly what I said.  There has been no scientifically based conclusions for the source of the outbreak.  Just speculation.

Shadyglade, so what's your 'well informed' opinion of origin of Covid-19 then?

Sparrow

« Reply #794 on: March 22, 2020, 02:18:34 PM »

How am I any more informed than anyone else.  We have to wait for the scientists.

Wet markets exist all over the world.  It may or may not have been the exact source.  We have to wait.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 179