Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194112 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #765 on: March 21, 2020, 12:42:21 PM »

So pleased that you are beginning to recover  :tulips2: :tulips:

I cough nearly all the while due to reflux  ::) ....... the muttering into a brown paper bag really works  ;) it makes people back off .  Usually.

Report in the paper this morning stating that not many people are staying at home.  Don't the Powers that Be realise that here, in the deep countryside, one HAS to go out ......... I don't want to be cremated with lots of other bodies due to starvation  >:( so need to go shopping for food and to get fresh air! as well as supporting our local shop  8)

CLKD

« Reply #766 on: March 21, 2020, 02:10:23 PM »

Has he landed jaypo?  Making sure that everyone uses hot water with detergent regularly on surfaces: door handles, car steering wheels, inside and out.  People may be visiting today to make sure that everyone is OK.  Keeping a distance inside ?  No one can not know the Rules but some may not understand nor realise how serious this is.

It's on the News right now about public spaces and distancing.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #767 on: March 21, 2020, 02:36:03 PM »

I was wondering that about fruit.
Does anyone use Milton fluid to wash them before they eat.?

As long as you ( as it were) keep his hygiene up Jay, and he hasnt been around anyone who has flu symptoms, ( ask where he's been, before he comes to you) then there's not much else you can do. I think you'd be relatively safe. As safe as you can be anyway. xx

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
« Reply #768 on: March 21, 2020, 02:51:57 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #769 on: March 21, 2020, 03:14:25 PM »

Ask him how others are coping with isolation etc., put the conversation ball into his court so he doesn't feel treated.  Did he bring his pet along?

I'm fed up with this Government.  Harping on about how supermarkets are doing their best and there is plenty of food to be had.  Well actually, that might be true in towns but out here in the sticks. Nope.  Managers are being bullied by queues and no help from the Army which should have been on stand by for such events. Food being pulled off the shelves in order to fulfil on-line orders, WHF.  One would have thought it was all behind the main shopping areas so that the orders, many which will be regular, are made up out of public sight?  Now they are offering specific times for health workers etc., Tesco taking out a large advert ......... I suppose I can use the advert as loo paper  >:(

The food delivery industry is so timed to booking into warehouses to pick up their delivery: they have to be there within so many seconds of their due time otherwise they miss their slot - so it cannot outrun this system.  Computer says 'no'.  I have seen less lorries on the roads this week than usual. With European borders being closed there are less foreign drivers too.  I spent 5 hours on the road during the week and it was far easier to travel.

It's OK for the Government to make suggestions to those living in urban areas  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #770 on: March 21, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »

Update from the UK Government:

Shoppers in the UK have been told to "be responsible" and think of others such as NHS workers, after panic-buying amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Environment Secretary George Eustice said there is more than enough food to go around - but the challenge for shops is keeping shelves stocked.
It comes as supermarkets have been overwhelmed by increased purchasing.

Meanwhile, cafes, pubs and restaurants across the UK have closed as part of measures to stop the virus spreading.

"Frankly we should all be ashamed," said Prof Stephen Powis, medical director at NHS England, who said panic-buyers are depriving NHS staff of the supplies they need.

"These are the very people that we all need to look after perhaps us or our loved ones in the weeks to come."

How about depriving Zoo collections of fresh foodstuffs: rescue centres of pet food: Care Home residents of basic food stuffs: street sleepers .......  or have these not reached the Governments' radar yet  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #771 on: March 21, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »

Where had he been to witness all these people walking about  :-\  ??? Why was he not staying in Hospital accommodation if he was 'on call'  :-\

People have to eat.  Exercise.  It's about keeping distance and good hygiene.  The UK is short of hospital beds 24/7.  This isn't new situation.  What we need are more intensive care oxygen points available with staff who know how to operate them.  24/7. 

ElkWarning

« Reply #772 on: March 21, 2020, 08:55:46 PM »

I think people aren't taking it seriously  because there were so many people for so long saying there was nothing to worry about. It's going to take a lot to change those minds now.

As I see it, this is the phoney war bit, where nothing apparently happens, before all hell breaks loose.

I've got one daughter in Lewisham and another who's a key worker. They're both horribly exposed. I can't help with my autistic granddaughter, because I have to isolate due to my medically fragile son. It's a mess. Very stressful.

Working from home is ok, have hardly noticed what the issues will be as it's such chaos. We're trying to pump clinical academics back into the NHS, while simultaneously graduate our final year med students so we can get them into the service.

yellowflower

« Reply #773 on: March 21, 2020, 09:07:17 PM »

@shadyglade. I know my talk about chinese shopping behaviour sounds racist. I actually don't care at this point. Australia is in Asian territory and we have been dealing with their behaviour for several years. Baby formula was being raised to the point that families here couldn't get supplies. Our major pharmacy here (Chemist Warehouse) has daigou's lined up stocking their cars with it. Supermarkets would get hit the minute the delivery trucks arrived.

When covid-19 started getting serious, they did runs on masks, hand sanitizer, cleaning product, etc.

Next came organized bus trips to rural supermarkets and pharmacies. Thankfully we now have strict restrictions and their business model is being broken.

Sparrow

« Reply #774 on: March 21, 2020, 09:37:51 PM »

I haven't used that word but what I would say is that people here have been bulk buying for profit too.  All ethnicities I believe.

yellowflower

« Reply #775 on: March 21, 2020, 09:46:38 PM »

I haven't used that word but what I would say is that people here have been bulk buying for profit too.  All ethnicities I believe.

True, but the chinese daigou's are our biggest problem. When they are raiding bushfires areas in buses, you know their behaviour is appalling. They do not care for their fellow man.

Sparrow

« Reply #776 on: March 21, 2020, 09:48:19 PM »

Well there is a lot of that about everywhere by everyone. 

yellowflower

« Reply #777 on: March 21, 2020, 10:53:00 PM »

It's not the same. They are sneaky. They flout restrictions by changing clothes and making repeated entry to the shops where they buy the limit and then go back. It's been videoed repeatedly but only now is it being taken seriously. I am surprised someone hasn't been seriously hurt because it pisses everyone off. Our products are considered "clean" in China, particularly after that disastrous event a few years ago when they were cutting formula with melamine and babies died.

It is time that governments looked after their own citizens first.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #778 on: March 21, 2020, 11:39:56 PM »

It's not the same. They are sneaky. They flout restrictions by changing clothes and making repeated entry to the shops where they buy the limit and then go back. It's been videoed repeatedly but only now is it being taken seriously. I am surprised someone hasn't been seriously hurt because it pisses everyone off. Our products are considered "clean" in China, particularly after that disastrous event a few years ago when they were cutting formula with melamine and babies died.

It is time that governments looked after their own citizens first.

Yellowflower - same here!  Migrants are still turning up every day in boats and we are allowing them in with god knows what diseases.  Priti Patel is trying her best to stop this but there are too many dogooders standing in her way.  I totally agree that each country has a responsibility to care for its own people first.

Which reminds me I sincerely hope we are not still sending foreign aid to countries when we desperately need it for our struggling NHS in this  crisis.

GerryL

« Reply #779 on: March 21, 2020, 11:52:31 PM »

I'm taking care of my brother at the moment who has been seriously unwell. He lives by the coast and today we sat out on his terrace and could clearly see people on the beach having tailgate parties and barbeques in the sunshine. People are not getting the message over how serious this is. The Government needs to put the UK on lockdown.

Thusfar our death toll day on day is following almost an identical trajectory to Italy's.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 179