Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 196497 times)

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #660 on: March 16, 2020, 11:04:07 PM »

Thank you Birdy. Xx

sheila99

« Reply #661 on: March 16, 2020, 11:47:37 PM »

And finally the government have worked out how serious it is. If I was cynical I'd wonder if enlightenment came when they said pregnant women were in a high risk category. They said there could be as many as 50,000 cases - an order of magnitude bigger than the official figures.

Tc

« Reply #662 on: March 17, 2020, 02:28:12 AM »

IMO. It's all  just another example of the way older people are scapegoated in our society.  Why have they got any more responsibility for spreading it than anyone else.?   

I do not think it is about them being more responsible for the spreading of it, I think it is more to do with the fact that they have a much higher chance of it being fatal and therefore, for their own health, they would be much wiser to stay at home and as much away from potential hazards as possible.

Exactly, Jari!

I do realise that's what they want us to think. Unfortunately for me; I dont trust the government.  They have more or less said that the worry isnt about old people dying from it. It's about them taking up respirators when younger people who might otherwise survive could have them.  How is that not just seeing the elderly as collateral damage !!   My parents and others there age have contributed more to the NHS than most of the time wasters I have seen draining the life out of the system for years.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:41:18 AM by Tc »

ElkWarning

« Reply #663 on: March 17, 2020, 07:58:46 AM »

China has used really draconian methods to keep people at home.  We forget what a terrible time the people have there.  They may, or may not have got the virus under control, but at what cost.

3,226 deaths.  That was the cost.  We're facing somewhere between 300,000 and 500,000 in the UK.  Overall, in Europe, the toll will be somewhere in the millions.

Remember my initial posts about infection control and containment in January?

As for 'How can they enforce it?'  It's called martial law, those statutory instruments were drawn up on 10th February, i.e. four weeks ago, while people were hand washing, before the panic buying started ... they needed to get the panic buying out of the way so that they were prepared to police the looting.

Anyway, now reality has hit, I'm taking a firmly positive stance.

ElkWarning

« Reply #664 on: March 17, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »

I think it's time for some good news (according to most recent data):

Strictly speaking, the virus isn't really airborne.  Yes, the coughs and sneezes float about for a few seconds before they hit the deck, but mainly we're talking about surfaces, so you can wash it off.  This is great news, because it's much easier to clean stuff you can see (e.g. cupboard tops, bathrooms, cutlery) than it is to clean stuff that's invisible (e.g. air).  Technically speaking, there's no need for them to stop us going out for walks and the like, it's just that our behaviours show we don't tend to limit ourselves to simply walking.  A broad-based approach (you can't go out full stop) is designed with that in mind.

While we're on air, those of us with respiratory illnesses, e.g. asthma and other conditions affecting the lungs, will benefit from the sharp drop in pollutants.  In fact, everyone will, because our bodies won't be put under the strain of having to struggle to filter out these nasties.

We're less likely to die from other events that we totally accept as part of everyday life.  For example, the most up-to-date information on road traffic accidents in the UK (2018) says a total of 26,610 people were killed or seriously injured that year.  Well, this ain't gonna happen if we're not going anywhere is it?  It's one way of freeing up ICU beds.

People don't panic forever ... some of us have mental health issues that means we do, but the general population just doesn't, their bio-psychiatric make up means they can't physically sustain it.  The initial shock and sense of unpreparedness, combined with confusion around governmental response, created a certain atmosphere.  It'll dissipate.  Re: food, the state isn't stupid, it knows that if you leave some people with loads and even more people without much, then they'll be a lot of trouble (riots).  They'll pre-empt this.  We're not living in the 19th Century.  Overall Britain is something like the fourth / fifth richest country in the world, both in absolute terms and GDP.  Unlike others, we're in a position to 'buy our way out of it'.

China is doing well, it's opening its factories.  'Greater China' is the biggest industrial unit / producer in the whole world.  This is good, because they're going to sell us the stuff we need (see above for buying our way out of it).  The current resourcing problem (everything from ventilators to face masks and Calpol) is down to the fact that China was shut and that's no longer the case.

Technology - not only are a big bunch of our systems automated, so we don't need as much people power to keep everything going, it will provide us with some relief.  We can connect remotely, whether that's to order a repeat prescription, our shopping, or to chat junk online.  Also, the folks least likely to be affected, i.e. the young, are the ones with the most competence in this area.  Plus, those Asian countries, such as China and S Korea who are now getting back up on their feet, are leaders in the tech revolution.

I think now's the time to move from project fear / project head up the ass to project resilience and hope.  I, for one, am really scared.  As previously mentioned, I have a third of the lung capacity of a health adult, also a repressed immune system.  My adult son has a life threatening condition which requires intensive care treatment - as a disabled person, he simply won't get this.

^^ We need to take positive steps, together, as a huge community, to get through this ... and we will, get through this, with care, compassion and courage.

ElkWarning

« Reply #665 on: March 17, 2020, 09:07:34 AM »

Thanks TC,thankfully it's just a check up so fingers crossed.
Could anyone tell me their thoughts please,my stepson is coming to ours on Friday,he's 15 and obviously my OH not keen on telling him he can't come :'(

Skype, Zoom, FaceTime?  Ask him what he thinks about coming, because he'll likely not want to, then it's not as if you're telling him to go away.

Jari

« Reply #666 on: March 17, 2020, 11:02:37 AM »

The sooner we get to the stage of people not panicking over food the better.  Asda was stripped bare this morning. Came home with only half the things on our list. I'm definitely going to give these superstore a miss for the forseeable. Local Co-op is in in for a big jump in takings if they play this right.

Stay safe ElkWarning and son.

I agree Stellajane. I wish they would calm down. I have been searching for local farm fruit n veg box deliveries or pick up points. May be a bit more cost wise but much fresher and hopefully people are restricted to the one box. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #667 on: March 17, 2020, 11:54:31 AM »

Let him visit I say.  He's not in an at risk age group and if you are poorly, he can surely make a cuppa at the very least ;-).

Be prepared though for him to be quarantined if anyone shows symptoms  ;D - visitors are like meat or fish ;-)

ElkWarning

« Reply #668 on: March 17, 2020, 11:59:15 AM »

Let him visit I say.  He's not in an at risk age group and if you are poorly, he can surely make a cuppa at the very least ;-).

Be prepared though for him to be quarantined if anyone shows symptoms  ;D - visitors are like meat or fish ;-)

Really good NHS video here highlighting positives, while also touching on how dangerous underplaying the situation is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_cImRzKXOs&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR1PE0cIKz-ytmFo3ER5uEhExTVo8r_5R8Od8jW9CjnP2pwvwtCT036Cqas

CLKD

« Reply #669 on: March 17, 2020, 12:01:41 PM »

Apparently the idea that people should be entrenched in their properties when healthy is to be re-thought?

I now have a headache reading all the above from Birdy and ElkW  ;D.  Off for a walk round my garden ;-)

Sparrow

« Reply #670 on: March 17, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »

Finding Classic FM a real boon.  Hardly any news and uplifting, relaxing music.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #671 on: March 17, 2020, 01:17:22 PM »

Tnx.  New thread  ;D

Tinkerbell

« Reply #672 on: March 17, 2020, 01:31:12 PM »

I am anxious about it all and have had bouts of health anxiety before, my teen daughter is also anxious. I have another bout of Sciatica but have started going for a walk each day, managed an hour of today, my daughter even cam ewith me yesterday which was nice.

Tc

« Reply #673 on: March 17, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »

I'm realy worried about being cooped up in my flat alone.  I've spent 18 months hardly going out due to  anxiety and depression and  I had only just recently started to turn a corner and enjoy life again  after being in a very bad place.  I dont want to go back there for anything.

I dont  like my flat, it's never felt like home  and being stuck alone in it isnt good for my mental health..  I just hate the thought of feeling  so lonely again. 

I think going for walks is a great idea Stella.  You dont have to get close to anyone.
It's good to read your ideas for using the time indoors,too ladies. .  I need a distraction so I dont let my negative thinking get the better of me.  So reading this has made me think of what I can do.  A project of some sort. 

It's so important for those of us with MH Issues to look after our minds as well as bodies  and try to pre empt  any harmful  impact this might have on us.  Especially those of us who live alone. Xx

Tc

« Reply #674 on: March 17, 2020, 02:47:15 PM »

That's not crass at all Teresa.its very thoughtful..  I must admit i have put zero effort into making it homely.  I long for the day I can move out but dont think it's going to be anytime soon.

I've had the worst MH ever since I moved here   Its been the worst 18 .months of my life and it's not down to the flat per se , although no one thinks it's nice but a lot of people are far worse off,  I just think I will always associate those terrible feelings with living here. If that makes sense. 

My landlord is rubbish too.  I was very lucky last time with our house we were there 14years,  but this one doesnt give a fig.  I've had no heating for over 3 weeks. !!!! But that's another story.

Maybe I can think of trying to use the time to go through some of my boxes and put some of my things out. I had to get rid of nearly all my stuff but I do have some things from the house packed away. Thank you. Xxxx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 179