Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194161 times)

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #645 on: March 16, 2020, 04:40:36 PM »

I watched my mother die from pneumonia too, it's absolutely horrific.

Dorothy

« Reply #646 on: March 16, 2020, 05:17:06 PM »

There is to much hype and miss information about this.  A government spokesman, Grant Chaps I think,  said today that they will be asked to stay away from crowds and social gatherings.  Going for a walk no problem apparently.

We had best wait for the update later.

I know.  That made me so angry.  The government has no business making general statements about isolations or lockdowns without specifying what is involved - lack of information just leads to panic.  I spent yesterday listening to friends who are either over 70 or have compromised immune systems sharing their fear of how they would cope with four months in isolation.  Some would rather take the 'quick way out'.  Now the government is changing tack and saying all they meant was that it is recommended to stay away from crowds (which surely has been the point all along?!!!).  I just hope that none of those who felt that death would be preferable to 4 months isolation have already killed themselves...

Sparrow

« Reply #647 on: March 16, 2020, 05:21:35 PM »

There is to much hype and miss information about this.  A government spokesman, Grant Chaps I think,  said today that they will be asked to stay away from crowds and social gatherings.  Going for a walk no problem apparently.

We had best wait for the update later.

I know.  That made me so angry.  The government has no business making general statements about isolations or lockdowns without specifying what is involved - lack of information just leads to panic.  I spent yesterday listening to friends who are either over 70 or have compromised immune systems sharing their fear of how they would cope with four months in isolation.  Some would rather take the 'quick way out'.  Now the government is changing tack and saying all they meant was that it is recommended to stay away from crowds (which surely has been the point all along?!!!).  I just hope that none of those who felt that death would be preferable to 4 months isolation have already killed themselves...

It wasn't the government, it was Robert Peston on twitter, which was then taken up by the tabloids.

Dorothy

« Reply #648 on: March 16, 2020, 05:31:59 PM »

No, it was the health secretary - I saw the interview.

Jari

« Reply #649 on: March 16, 2020, 05:42:00 PM »

IMO. It's all  just another example of the way older people are scapegoated in our society.  Why have they got any more responsibility for spreading it than anyone else.?   

I do not think it is about them being more responsible for the spreading of it, I think it is more to do with the fact that they have a much higher chance of it being fatal and therefore, for their own health, they would be much wiser to stay at home and as much away from potential hazards as possible.

Jari

« Reply #650 on: March 16, 2020, 06:05:33 PM »

Latest: Everyone to avoid non essential contact as of now!

Katejo

« Reply #651 on: March 16, 2020, 06:45:17 PM »

Latest: Everyone to avoid non essential contact as of now!
  I was just on my way to a dance class tonight when I got a What's app cancellation.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #652 on: March 16, 2020, 07:04:59 PM »

;D

I'm tactile too. 

It's 7 days for a person living alone.  14 for a family if anyone feels unwell.  Due to the number of [yet unknown] days that it takes to spread.  Now that should be a rolling 14 days should each member 'go down' with it.  There is a thought that it may be a 28 day incubation period.  It isn't clear how long after the last person recovers the family needs to isolate. 

Apparently this begins with a sudden fever, aches, pains followed by breathing difficulty.  Have a look-see at the various of home-videos of those who have suffered .  I know when I am getting a cold as my left arm itches where the jab went into at age 13, against TB?  BCG Injection?

When I had 'flu it was instant.  OK going to bed, woke the next morning with an aversion to light, aching all over, high temperature, rambling [though some would say that's normal  ::)] - in bed for 3-4 days and weak for 14 days after.  Don't remember a cold or cough with it.  I knew as I woke the 2nd year what I had.

Tc

« Reply #653 on: March 16, 2020, 07:22:52 PM »

My reaction to the latest info.  They have not told restaurants pubs etc to close.  But they have more or less told people not to go.  They will have so many cancellations they will not be able to open.  It seems like a back door thing to me.  Is it due to insurance?  The fact that we are not prepared to deal with the fallout to small business and its effect on our economy. ? 

Also. Seems to me we are not yet prepared for testing.  WHO said"test test test". We are not ready. Havent been able to put that in place in time.  Chasing our tails.

CLKD

« Reply #654 on: March 16, 2020, 07:39:41 PM »

Now that I would be cancelling  ;D.

Tc - it's about stopping the risk of spread.  Our local bakeries are offering to cook and deliver to those stuck.  Many won't be insured against this type of world event.  Some will go under.  I expect that many did during WWII.  Banks are planning on giving some business a break in mortgate/rents etc. to allow cash flow.

littleminnie

« Reply #655 on: March 16, 2020, 08:08:10 PM »

I think Netflix is going to get a bit of a hammering in the coming weeks.

Two hoots

« Reply #656 on: March 16, 2020, 08:11:47 PM »

We run a business,so it is worrying,we've been super busy and taken on more staff in the last few months,just hope we haven't done the wrong thing
On a cheerier note, I still have to go to the dentist tomorrow  ;D

I've got dentist tomorrow, inspection and hygienist  ???

Dorothy

« Reply #657 on: March 16, 2020, 08:22:17 PM »

My reaction to the latest info.  They have not told restaurants pubs etc to close.  But they have more or less told people not to go.  They will have so many cancellations they will not be able to open.  It seems like a back door thing to me.  Is it due to insurance?  The fact that we are not prepared to deal with the fallout to small business and its effect on our economy. ? 

Yes, it seems crazy to me.  If we're not supposed to go to restaurants or pubs, then why are they still allowed to be open?  The only reason I can think of is insurance - oh, and that said pubs & restaurants will have to keep paying staff, who will then have to pay taxes...

CLKD

« Reply #658 on: March 16, 2020, 08:33:25 PM »

stellajane - the advice at 4.30 p.m. was that EVERYONE remains at home if 1 in the household shows symptoms of a cold which may be the virus.  Which starts with aches and a fever.  1 person alone isolates for 7 days.  Any more in the household and they all isolate for 14 as this may turn out to be a rolling incubation period: 5 days up to 28 days B4 symptoms show.  Then it probably needs to be everyone stay at home for 5 days after people stop feeling ill. 

Not going out is to stop the spread which will release hospital admissions.  Staggering I think the word is that I am searching for  ::).  If you think of the common cold: 3 days to catch it, 3 to suffer, 3 to give it away.  Usually we have symptoms B4 the cold breaks, often there's 3-4 days between.  Last year we had a cold which I started within 48 hours of Himself coughing and spluttering.  That's the 1 where I continued to cough for over 12 months  :o.  That particular bug didn't make me feel ill after 12 hours as other colds have done.  Viruses are variable in their intent  >:(

Nowt to do with insurance as many Policies will not cover this type of pandemic.  They will probably catch passing trade, I would drop by if the place wasn't busy. I have favourite cafes in various places across the UK ....... the LAs are giving small businesses tax/rent breaks apparently. 

Tc

« Reply #659 on: March 16, 2020, 10:58:40 PM »

Jaypo. I went dentist at 4.30today. He told me that dentists were the last of all the medical professions to get any official definitive  instructions. .

He said the info he had today from his authority was  no drilling.   So he couldnt go ahead with my planned treatment. My planned treatment was extensive.    He did what he could without drilling to avoid me "getting an infection"  in case I cannot access dental treatment in the coming weeks. .

Xxx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 179