Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194154 times)

Sparrow

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #615 on: March 15, 2020, 10:54:59 PM »

Downing Street are to give daily televised updates from Monday.

Ju Ju

« Reply #616 on: March 15, 2020, 11:37:35 PM »

One cannot enforce isolation in a modern world. 

The government can actually. They will put police and army on the streets. If there is a curfew you will be fined for breaking it and if you subsequently break the curfew you will face prison.

Having drastically reduced the numbers of police officers and the military, they have a job enforcing that easily.

Sparrow

« Reply #617 on: March 16, 2020, 06:33:42 AM »

It's all a matter of percentages.  If just a few people ignore it they could be dealt with.  However, if there is a large number who carry on as normal where would be nothing to be done.

My feeling is that it would start well but petter out,  as people get fed up with it.

Jari

« Reply #618 on: March 16, 2020, 07:50:31 AM »

If anyone watches the BBC news local to their area (eg Look East, Midlands Today etc) they seem to be giving details of Coronavirus deaths. I've been watching and so far its always been people in their 80s "who had underlying health problems". It all seems pretty weird to me. Where have all these old people with health problems been to catch the virus. Were they all off cruising at time of infection of what?

From door knobs, hand rails, public transport, people next to them in queues, trolley handle bars... etc etc.

Hurdity

« Reply #619 on: March 16, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »

I haven't read all of the latest posts on this thread in detail but just to comment on the 4 month self-isolation issue for over 70s and those with underlying health conditions that make them more vulnerable.

Obviously the first aim of this is to help prevent these people from getting the illness (or rather reduce the incidence) because it is these people who are more likely to die, but more to the point  (and I think this is partly driving the Govt's idea), these are the people who are more likely to develop complications and therefore need intensive care, ventilators etc  and who may well die anyway, thus depriving younger people of this care who would be more likely to survive. This is in the worst case scenario if the pandemic peaks to the extent that it overwhelms NHS (re equipment and resouyrces) as it did (is doing?) in Italy and to prevent those awful choices having to be made in terms of who gets the care and who doesn't.

The very fact that the Govt has announced that it WILL be bringing in these recommendations (and that is what it will be surely, not an edict?) at some unspecified point, will itself have an immediate effect on slowing down the infection rate because many  over 70's and those who are vulnerable will already be drastically reducing social contact etc even before being asked to do so.

Of course no-one will be confined to their house (except if they get the virus) and obviously can go into their gardens if they have them, go for walks etc but presumably have to ask others to do their shopping? Also not sure how it works when you have an over and an under 70 eg my husband is mid 70s but I am mid 60s. Am I to do the same so I don't risk spreading to him ie will it actually apply to households rather than individuals?

Don't get me started on the lack of testing though; how on earth can we model the spread of the disease and its epidemiology and continue to trace and isolate contacts if we are not testing people apart from the seriously ill in hospital? I think the extreme social-distancing for over 70s etc is being brought in instead of that?

Hurdity x

Baby

« Reply #620 on: March 16, 2020, 09:27:59 AM »

My daughter is a nurse and she has patients with Corona on her ward. All the staff are wearing masks. Such a worry.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #621 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »

It's scaremongering in order to make the public aware that this is a dangerous, unknown virus which can kill.

80% will alert people to sit up.  Of course, not everyone will die ....... nor will everyone within that 80% get the virus.  Possibilities then.

Wiping surfaces is important anyway.  HOT SOAPY WATER.  JAY-cloths which can be burned or put into a hot wash after use.  Keep a load of used cloths in a bin with a lid and put on overnight?  They dry quickly enough.  A good quality washing powder is recommended by local health workers.  Wiping car handles, steering wheels, the pumps at petrol stations, toilet doors/flush push handles; I sat in a garage last week and not 1 person wiped the key pads nor used gloves B4 paying for fuel  ::)

I think that those over 70 who are active: i.e. Men Sheds, visiting their elderly relatives, i.e. parents : should be allowed out - driving to and from those activities and not dropping off in the store will be 1 way of keeping up morale as well as making sure that parents are OK. 

The NHS has waiting lists for many kinds of results.  So this added increase of essential postiive/negative testing in order to chart the spread has been put on hold due to lack of Lab. facilities for a pandemic.  I know some patients who have had to wait 3 weeks for a result from breast surgery for example, when my Mum had her lumps removed they were sliced there and then in a specific room; result went to the Surgeon whilst Mum remained under GP and the decision for closure or mastectomy was made.  Due to lack of funds, that idea went out the window!  Add to that staff cuts  :-\

Countrygirl

« Reply #622 on: March 16, 2020, 10:16:28 AM »

The local drs are now doing phone call appointments only now and repeat prescriptions are put in a box outside x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #623 on: March 16, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »

Same here too CG.
We had emails last week. x

Dorothy

« Reply #624 on: March 16, 2020, 10:48:54 AM »

The government interview I heard was talking about the police having the power to arrest those who break isolation, so no, the elderly won't be 'asked' to self isolate, they will be made to do it.

If we are going to have a lockdown, it should be done as it is in other countries, where EVERYONE is on lockdown for a shorter period, not forcing the most vulnerable in our society to suffer isolation while the rest of us carry on with our lives.

It's also ridiculous to talk about isolating the vulnerable and elderly when many of them are sharing houses with younger, fitter people.  The advice is that the vulnerable person stays at least 6 feet away from other household members at all times - really?!!  Do they seriously think that e.g. an elderly lady is going to share a house with her children & grandchildren for four months without having any physical contact with them?  And a lot of houses are just too small to keep that kind of distance.

So we will have elderly & vulnerable people stuck at home (increasing their stress levels and therefore lowering their immune system - it is proven that stress makes you more vulnerable to catching things) while younger people go in and out, potentially bringing infection back with them.

Isolation should be for everyone, not just a small group, as it has been in all the other countries. 

Jari

« Reply #625 on: March 16, 2020, 10:56:21 AM »

One cannot enforce isolation in a modern world. 

The government can actually. They will put police and army on the streets. If there is a curfew you will be fined for breaking it and if you subsequently break the curfew you will face prison.

Having drastically reduced the numbers of police officers and the military, they have a job enforcing that easily.

I thought they have been and continue to increase police officers?!

Sparrow

« Reply #626 on: March 16, 2020, 11:00:27 AM »

Can you really see a instance where the police will be arresting granny's for being out and about.

It won't happen.

Jari

« Reply #627 on: March 16, 2020, 11:08:34 AM »

Can you really see a instance where the police will be arresting granny's for being out and about.

It won't happen.

No, I think that most will have the common sense to stay at home, so as to do the utmost to avoid catching it. Most will be well aware that their immune system is not what it used to be, even if they do feel fine currently. :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:10:20 AM by Jari »

Sparrow

« Reply #628 on: March 16, 2020, 11:12:36 AM »

There is to much hype and miss information about this.  A government spokesman, Grant Chaps I think,  said today that they will be asked to stay away from crowds and social gatherings.  Going for a walk no problem apparently.

We had best wait for the update later.

sheila99

« Reply #629 on: March 16, 2020, 11:15:04 AM »

Good news folks, the government has found a way to stop the increase in cases. All you do it to stop testing.... et voila! 🤐
Shame it makes no difference to the increasing death rate.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 179