Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 196621 times)

Jari

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #600 on: March 15, 2020, 07:13:55 PM »

For those people who are comparing the lockdown in this country with what has happened in other countries - other countries have a lockdown on EVERYONE for around a month.  This is targeting one specific group of people for FOUR months.

I wonder if we would have the 'oh well, it will be hard but it's for the good of the nation' attitude if the government announced that a four-month self-isolation was going to be imposed on all women...or all gays...or all ethnic minorities.

I do not think they are just picking on a group of people. They are the most vulnerable age group and the most likely to get it and they have said it may be up to 4 months.
What would you suggest? Tell them not to worry and just go about their daily business even though that will be putting them at high risk? Really?

Two hoots

« Reply #601 on: March 15, 2020, 07:29:23 PM »

Be sensible, wash your hands and don't go to crowded places, but asking people not to go out again until mid July is a step too far in my opinion.  My mother is 82 with asthma, I don't want her to become unwell but asking her not to see or speak face to face with anyone for that long is cruel.

If you want to stay in, ok but I hope the government don't force people to do it, my mum could cope for a couple of weeks but months ......  :'( I've spoken to her today and she's upset at the length of time being mentioned.

Two hoots

« Reply #602 on: March 15, 2020, 07:39:43 PM »

Still available to book as they are only suspended for 30 days but I'm not optimistic I'll be sailing into the sunset in June with a pi?a colada in my hand  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #603 on: March 15, 2020, 07:50:46 PM »

.... and hand gel.

I offered my half bottle to a group earlier but no one took up my offer  ;D

All groups of people are vulnerable.  This isn't 'flu as initially thought but a different type of virus which attacks the lungs.  Because the World has so few critical care beds people will die.  I wonder which research the Government have decided to use in order to justify the over 70 age group against those who will have carers visiting several times a day.  When Dad was ill at home he never saw the same carer twice in the 3 weeks that he was paying for home care! 

Two hoots

« Reply #604 on: March 15, 2020, 07:57:48 PM »

And a white protective suit on  ;D ;D

If necessary  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #605 on: March 15, 2020, 07:59:39 PM »

Does the white suit show a panty line ..........

Dorothy

« Reply #606 on: March 15, 2020, 08:32:06 PM »

For those people who are comparing the lockdown in this country with what has happened in other countries - other countries have a lockdown on EVERYONE for around a month.  This is targeting one specific group of people for FOUR months.

I wonder if we would have the 'oh well, it will be hard but it's for the good of the nation' attitude if the government announced that a four-month self-isolation was going to be imposed on all women...or all gays...or all ethnic minorities.

I do not think they are just picking on a group of people. They are the most vulnerable age group and the most likely to get it and they have said it may be up to 4 months.
What would you suggest? Tell them not to worry and just go about their daily business even though that will be putting them at high risk? Really?
No, I never said that.  I would suggest giving people the facts, encouraging them to limit social contact, and allowing them to make their own decisions, like the adults they are.  Scotland has said that they will not be expecting people to stay home all the time, just to keep a distance when they are out and not frequent crowded spaces.  After four months in isolation, many older people will have lost the ability to rejoin normal life, while others will have died from stress or suicide.

Also, not everyone will have much of a life to rejoin after four months.  I know someone who has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.  He is over 70 and has been given a few months to live.  He is wanting to make the most of those last few months, but if the 4-month isolation period goes ahead, he'll likely be too poorly to do anything by the time he's allowed out again.

Jari

« Reply #607 on: March 15, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »

So, you think we should just trust everyone to go about their days and make sure that they do not pass the virus on to anyone?

I do totally get it, that it is not easy for people to self isolate, but there are things to do, rearrange cupboards, have sort outs, do the garden, do some cooking, chat to friends on the phone, watch tv, chat to neighbours on the phone..see their carers ( if they have them)
Etc etc..
the over 70's I have spoken to and seen on the news, seem positive and happy to do what it takes to see this virus out..

I would not be underestimating this deadly virus.

sheila99

« Reply #608 on: March 15, 2020, 08:47:24 PM »

Has anyone suggested they will be forced to self isolate rather than encouraged to? As far as virus spread goes there's absolutely no point in it when everyone else still spreading it. I thought they would be asked to for their own well being. It makes that everyone avoids crowded places if they can. The only place I'm going for the moment is food shopping.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #609 on: March 15, 2020, 08:52:58 PM »

Has anyone suggested they will be forced to self isolate rather than encouraged to? As far as virus spread goes there's absolutely no point in it when everyone else still spreading it. I thought they would be asked to for their own well being. It makes that everyone avoids crowded places if they can. The only place I'm going for the moment is food shopping.

Sheila - yes, people over 70 are being asked rather than told.

Katejo

« Reply #610 on: March 15, 2020, 08:54:26 PM »

My impression was that it will not be an option but obligatory. My feeling is that a lockdown for everyone for a shorter period would be better than for older people for 4 months. I couldn't stay in isolation for 4 months.

Jari

« Reply #611 on: March 15, 2020, 09:01:47 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #612 on: March 15, 2020, 09:30:06 PM »

Some companies are taking a virus break on mortgage commitments.

I understand that the media have to sell newsprint but at this time there should be an embargo on any printing anything not based on facts.  Some reports suggest that over 70s will HAVE to remain at home.  End of.  That they should ask others to do shopping etc., but not everyone has anyone to ask.

sheila99

« Reply #613 on: March 15, 2020, 09:46:16 PM »

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

This is an interesting but long read...
Perhaps we should send this to 10, Downing Street. They don't seem to have worked it out yet.

Jari

« Reply #614 on: March 15, 2020, 10:04:58 PM »

On the news now they are saying up to 80% of us could be infected within the next year.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 179