Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 198585 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #585 on: March 15, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »

:thankyou: 

CLKD

« Reply #586 on: March 15, 2020, 02:28:31 PM »

Call me a cynic but I think it's because MPs want a holiday  ;D - how many are over 69 ...........  ;)

Dorothy

« Reply #587 on: March 15, 2020, 02:38:28 PM »

They are talking about giving the police power to arrest people who break isolation rules - so you could potentially have to carry proof of age and get arrested if you can't prove you're under 70.

This will, quite literally, kill my mother.  She has heart trouble and some mental health issues and gets incredibly distressed if she has to stay in her flat for even one day.  I'd rather she took her chance with the virus, but it looks as if we won't be given that option.

Jari

« Reply #588 on: March 15, 2020, 02:41:20 PM »

I think, if you have a garden, you can still mow lawns do gardening etc as long as stay away from neighbours/fences etc.

If not this, then what else can be done? Do you think they should carry on as if nothing is happening?

CLKD

« Reply #589 on: March 15, 2020, 02:49:51 PM »

Yep.  Taking away Civil Liberties springs to mind!

Hand washing.  Essential.  Isolate if feeling poorly.  Essential.

Stop all hospital visiting.  Kick out non-essential operations/A&E visitors. 

I don't have any proof of age.  No driving licence to hand, no Passport; Marriage Cert. somewhere, probably a Birth Cert.  Somewhere  ......... this is beyond thinking through.  70 is a number.  There are many people across all age groups that will be vulnerable because their health is compromised.  Statistics can prove exactly what statisticians are paid to prove.  The Government are in Panic Mode  :o because the general public expect them to 'do something'.

So the Police have nothing better to do then?  Will we all get a X against our end of year report?  My relatives went to War to give people across the UK Choice. 

CLKD

« Reply #590 on: March 15, 2020, 02:54:38 PM »

If the Government really does follow this crap idea through: many stock markets will cease, animal auctions are run by a wide age group; how will crops be transported to market/factories?  Have they looked at the age group of the farming community?  So the UK will soon be short of food!  Flights are being stopped across the World, does this include essentials?  What does 'essential' actually mean to the 1st World?

I think too that the Government forgets that in rural areas there is a wide age group that interact daily.  In Cities the spread may well be slowed by isolating the older age groups but out here  >:( ........ pitch fork to the ready!!!

jaycee

« Reply #591 on: March 15, 2020, 03:06:58 PM »

I am very lucky that i have a large garden so that will keep me occupied, but i have 3 cats who are all under the vet at the moment for dentals,and will need to go there
Also a couple of hospital appointments, but nothing life threatenong
I am in general good health,[up to now] on no medication,  and will go shopping if i need to, but next week will get a few more supplies in and plenty of cat food
I don't go out much socially so that wont worry me,
It is more of appointments and vet visits ,that will
Spain on lockdown now and no one allowed on beaches or wandering about, armed police on the streets
My niece couldn't even get any soup in Asda,sold out[in England]

Sparrow

« Reply #592 on: March 15, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »

I have had another thought.  What is going to happen about all their doctors appointments.  Home visits  :o

Jari

« Reply #593 on: March 15, 2020, 04:11:54 PM »

Seems Austrians house bound too. So most other European countries are on lockdown and do you think then that the U.K. should do the opposite?

Govt under great pressure because many people are furious that they have not actioned lockdown already.

I think it is a sensible move. You have to select an age somewhere, most at risk.. agreed many younger people would be at risk too, but they need to therefore self isolate if they have underlying health issues. It is the only way to stop the spread... imo

Family, friends, neighbours, deliveries all available and at hand to help with things..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:13:46 PM by Jari »

Justjules

« Reply #594 on: March 15, 2020, 04:22:45 PM »

I think it's incredibly arrogant to enforce self-isolation on a specific age group.  Many elderly people wont' survive it - my own mother will be suicidal within days if she can't go out.  And as some of my elderly friends have pointed out, every day is a bonus for them & if Coronavirus doesn't get them, then something else will.  Forcing the over-70s to stay indoors for 4 months might reduce the number of them who die from the virus, but has anyone considered the death rate caused by isolation?

Look up Professor Gilbert Deray on Facebook or in general....really excellent piece of writing about this very fact plus a general really positive explanation and aghast at how it's all being dealt with.

Jari

« Reply #595 on: March 15, 2020, 04:31:53 PM »

Other countries seem to be coping ok.

I do not see how we can otherwise stop it spreading. If elderly/weak get it, they have a high chance of dying.

14 more have died in U.K. today. The elderly and ill have low immune systems, so, they are getting it...

It is not straight away, but they have said in the next few weeks and possibly up to 4 months.

If I was elderly, I would be staying home already..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:48:13 PM by Jari »

Dorothy

« Reply #596 on: March 15, 2020, 05:22:21 PM »

For those people who are comparing the lockdown in this country with what has happened in other countries - other countries have a lockdown on EVERYONE for around a month.  This is targeting one specific group of people for FOUR months.

I wonder if we would have the 'oh well, it will be hard but it's for the good of the nation' attitude if the government announced that a four-month self-isolation was going to be imposed on all women...or all gays...or all ethnic minorities. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #597 on: March 15, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »

I think it's mad asking people over 70 to self isolate for 4 months.  there are 2 careworkers at Mum's home who are over 70 and they are as fit as fleas.

Most older people who are very poorly or disabled don't come out anyway.

I would go mad inside for 4 months.  Thank God I'm not 70.

CLKD

« Reply #598 on: March 15, 2020, 06:14:51 PM »

Many vets are offering video linked consultations.  However, those that are isolated may have elderly pets that need treatment.  Some have joined up with local taxi firms who will collect/return pets if necessary.  That's OK for those that have modern technology.

Already supermarket deliveries in rural areas are 8-10 days after ordering.   :-\.  OK for those in town who can ask for shops to deliver and leave outside the door.  Our local shop already deliveries where necessary and I think that service will increase as required.

I agree Dorothy.  We again aren't being given enough 'what if' information.  It is reported as a blanket over 70 isolation but as stated: there are many over 69 that provide a valued service across the UK.  Time will tell if isolation will stop the spread.  My friend came back from Thailand recently: he wasn't given a health check either side of the journey.  Nor advised to self isolate.  He is in good health and self employed.  He will carry on working.  He wasn't in contact with any sufferers as he was in a remote area. 

Why 4 months  :-\ when we are told that the incubation period is from 2 weeks to 28 days - depending on who is reporting.  One could isolate for 4 months then stumble under a lorry the day one is let out! 

I can see many people being 69 for years  ::).  Also other countries are not coping, there is a huge death toll in Italy and we will never know the truth from China.  It seems to be forgotten that they had it as long ago as October and beat the Dr who tried to alert the World  :'(

Sparrow

« Reply #599 on: March 15, 2020, 06:21:22 PM »

China has used really draconian methods to keep people at home.  We forget what a terrible time the people have there.  They may, or may not have got the virus under control, but at what cost.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 179