Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194112 times)

sheila99

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #570 on: March 15, 2020, 09:31:36 AM »

Nothing but sh*t has come from the government and their scientific advisors whose strategy is opposite to just about every other country. The UK strategy to allow uncontrolled spread has now been criticised by the WHO and 200 UK scientists.
The advice for the over 70s to self isolate is for their own protection. Not possible for many of them who still need appointments and possibly carers. It would have have been far better for everyone if they'd thought about them before they decided it would be a good idea to let it spread.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #571 on: March 15, 2020, 09:33:09 AM »

We already have a 14 cub foot chest freezer; a larder fridge and an upright fridge freezer.  We could put two more in to our utility room but would have to put the laundry and dishwasher machines outside.  Don't think that will happen.

Apparently this virus can live on hard surfaces 5-8 days.  Soap and hot water or washing detergent is the best way to combat it,  using one-use gloves to apply over and under surfaces that may have become contaminated.  Alcohol wipes aren't as thorough and some have false claims.  Metholated spirit might well be of use.  [My friend works for the NHS and this is advice from Public Health England].

The Government of the day should hand over a nightly bulletin spot to someone with medical involvement - not ordinary run of the mill folk who happen to be in a positions of 'advice'.  "experts" PAH! you know how I feel about that word  :bang: as a novel virus no one will be 'expert' for years++

It becomes more obvious every day that the UK Government had no Plans for this type of incident.  Otherwise there would not be the need for continual tea and biscuits, dressed up as COBRA meetings.  One meeting would have put Plans into Action.
Morning Girls.  Got through another night  ;)

I suppose that supermarkets will be delivering by rotation to those ordered to remain inside for 4  :o months.  I suppose that the Government needs to read the Riot Act or something and I see that they are going to impose new Laws ......... yeah right.

Jari

« Reply #572 on: March 15, 2020, 10:05:49 AM »

I think it makes absolute sense to isolate the over 70's. This will keep the death rate down. They are the most vulnerable after all. It will be difficult for some, but neighbours, family etc will need to rally round etc.. x

Sparrow

« Reply #573 on: March 15, 2020, 10:12:15 AM »

Who is going to enforce it.  Will people have to prove they are young enough to be out and about. There is already lot of people on Twitter saying they won't do it anyway.

Also what about all those with no contacts.  There is going to be a lot found dead it their homes.

Jari

« Reply #574 on: March 15, 2020, 10:34:32 AM »

I do not know. I imagine most will act responsibly though?

Foxylady

« Reply #575 on: March 15, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »

I've seen on the BBC news website a lady has made a postcard for people to post through neighbours letterboxes if they are elderly/vulnerable and self isolating, especially those who have noone, great idea. x

CLKD

« Reply #576 on: March 15, 2020, 11:17:59 AM »

We have 3 families getting together in our village to shop for those housebound etc..  Another idea is to start a food bank system in the surgery or Church to distribute in the village.

Jari

« Reply #577 on: March 15, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »

I've seen on the BBC news website a lady has made a postcard for people to post through neighbours letterboxes if they are elderly/vulnerable and self isolating, especially those who have noone, great idea. x

Saw that too. That is a great idea! Really good to see people coming together. X

CLKD

« Reply #578 on: March 15, 2020, 12:49:41 PM »

70 is a number.  It is totally irrelevant to how healthy/not a person might be!  Ageism is illegal in the UK  >:( and I wake up some mornings looking 90.  So who is going to challenge me if I go shopping?

It is up to people to be sensible and GPs to advice those who may be at risk . 

Dorothy

« Reply #579 on: March 15, 2020, 01:28:40 PM »

I think it's incredibly arrogant to enforce self-isolation on a specific age group.  Many elderly people wont' survive it - my own mother will be suicidal within days if she can't go out.  And as some of my elderly friends have pointed out, every day is a bonus for them & if Coronavirus doesn't get them, then something else will.  Forcing the over-70s to stay indoors for 4 months might reduce the number of them who die from the virus, but has anyone considered the death rate caused by isolation?

CLKD

« Reply #580 on: March 15, 2020, 01:48:47 PM »

'Arrogant' - a very good word Dorothy!   :medal:

This idea shows how far removed from public daily living the Government actually are.  Who will feed these over 70s?  What if they require dental and health appts.?  What about those with tooth ache  :o  :-X or a sudden attack of gout.

How many coach drivers are over 70?  What age group drives 'tesco' food delivery vans etc.?  I feel an uprising!

sheila99

« Reply #581 on: March 15, 2020, 02:00:39 PM »

I think they only suggested the elderly self isolate because they had to say something when asked about the death rate amongst the elderly that their current policy of letting it spread is going to cause. Of course it shouldn't be the elderly that can't go out but staying in will be the only way to protect themselves. It's only a matter of time before everyone else is locked down too. Stopping the spread now will cause less pain in the long run, both economically and in the number of deaths.

Sparrow

« Reply #582 on: March 15, 2020, 02:08:30 PM »

I have just been reading an article by Nardine Doris about her and her mothers experience of the virus.  Her mother, who is in poor health and 84,  had it very mildly.  Fit 62 year old Nardine was pretty poorly.

Go figure, as the Americans say.

CLKD

« Reply #583 on: March 15, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »

One cannot enforce isolation in a modern world.  The UK Government needs to think this through B4 making such gut reaction suggestions.  Agree stellajane - many child care is taken over by the over 65s ......... willingly but what happens now?  What about those over 70 who don't have friends or don't mix but will continue long distance walking etc..

Italy is in lock down but people are being allowed out for essentials.  The country is trying to prevent traveling to see if that helps stop the spread, many live in apartments in the Cities so are in close contact with neighbours  ::).  Many fled south.

One has to maintain one's garden; care for one's livestock - how many farmers are over 69?  It then becomes an animal welfare issue.  If I had chickens at the bottom of my garden I would have to go out 3 times a day at the very least.  My garden needs caring for, it will be a Brave Person who separates me from what keeps my mental health, well healthy.  Goldfish will need feeding daily in the warmer months, birds need feeding, crops need picking.  I need VitD  ::).  I will have to shop for fish and bird food at the garden centre. 

How many over 70s never need hospital treatment?  Are they going to insist that no drunks attend A&E as they will take up chronic bed space/medical time?  Every Winter/Spring we are told that the NHS is over stretched.  Have we seen any tactics to ease that situation? 

What will happen in care homes?  Many R over 65 and have health issues - where as Mum is 93 and healthy.  Is she supposed to remain in her room ........

Sparrow

« Reply #584 on: March 15, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »

Yep, I think this jigsaw has a lot of pieces missing.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 179