Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194126 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #555 on: March 14, 2020, 05:04:14 PM »

I still believe that we over-vaccinate!  They body doesn't get used to forming a barrier.  Which is why I won't have the flu jab though Himself is thinking of having the one for pneumonia  :-\.  'Flu is known to mutate so the World is usually 2 years behind the current Bug. 

US don't want us 2 visit either  ;D

ElkWarning

« Reply #556 on: March 14, 2020, 07:34:15 PM »

You would have thought supposedly intelligent people like doctors would already have wills ???

They're making sure they're up to date.  No need for sarcasm.

I remain absolutely baffled by people's responses.  It's as if on the one hand we have scientific evidence, and on the other ... well, I really don't know.

Those countries that faced down SARS, so we didn't have to, did it right.  They knew.  China acted a bit late, but then they got ahead of the curve.  Taiwan, South Korea.  Fantastic job.  There was a reason Japan left that ship sitting in port for so long.  It always was about containment and avoiding a pandemic.  OK, so that option is gone now.  Thank you, Italy.

What next?  Flatten the curve, infection control.  Do you know how many intensive care beds we'd need, nationally, if we went the same way as Lombardy?  Let's say 60% of the population are infected (about 40 million people) and 20% need hospital care (about 8 million people), but 5% need ICU care (about 2 million people).  Two million ICU beds.  This is insane.  Even more worryingly, as the Lancet reported yesterday, the Italians have found that it's 9-11% that need ICU, so let's say 10%, and that's 4 million ICU beds.  On top of this, it doesn't seem to be the case that people have it, get better, and they're fine.  For some folks, it's creating life-long health complications.

Anyway, obviously, no one wants to hear this.  No one has wanted to hear this from the start.  If it's as bad as the current projections say it's going to be (with the public continuing to behave as if it's magically disappear and it shouldn't really interfere with their lives), we won't have an economy, supply lines or an NHS left in a year.  It's fine.  We can rebuild.  Hell, 72 million people died in the Second World War and 20 years later there was the 'Swinging Sixties'.  But I'd still rather avoid that.  And, of course, the scientists and doctors could be wrong.  It might go away in the Spring / Summer.  This is true.  All these precautions could be an overreaction, or they could be a contribution, we might never know.  I'd still prefer to try though and be proved wrong, instead of not bother and be proved right.

Sparrow

« Reply #557 on: March 14, 2020, 07:57:00 PM »

I'm not sarcastic just straight to the point.

None of this is in any of our control and never was.  That's how the world works.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:00:10 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #558 on: March 14, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »

For some folks, it's creating life-long health complications.

Fortunately, yet, we don't know because this novel virus hasn't been around long enough.  As a novel virus hopefully there will be detailed records kept.  What we won't find out is those that carry it, if they don't have symptoms or feel like a 'cold' which is nothing to worry about, they won't report nor get tested.

Containment is important but the UK can't come to a halt.  We need to be encouraged to shop sensibly and this has to be the task of the Managers of the stores: how was panic buying not anticipated!?! Has no one read 'lord of the flies'  ::)

Food will rot particularly in those kitchens that have over-purchased in panic, bins won't be collected, Nurses won't be allowed to work .......... it's about controlling those who do go to essential jobs and advise the rest to take precautions.  Controlling in a way that everyone is checked on their health twice a day so that anyone feeling unwell can be monitored. 

This is novel.  So the UK hasn't had to face such an upheaval - the 'first in a generation' says Boris but no one can explain what a 'generation' actually might be  ::).  Protect your own household, keep an eye on elderly neighbours, shop sensibly: now that everyone has stuff there shouldn't be any need for much shopping at all!  If the UK is shut down what then?  A 1st world country should not allow fresh food to go to waste on the shelves ...........

Shopping is in our control.  So is keeping healthy as much as possible.  D&V isn't in our control but it closes hospitals across the World every year!  Some people will die from D&V or associated infections. 

We have never had enough Intesnive Care beds; Nurses, skilled Doctors but the Governments have always promised to inject more money etc..  Now they are finding out that they were not in time to take on a Bug of such proportions! 

Jari

« Reply #559 on: March 14, 2020, 08:22:03 PM »

I think the U.K. will also be in a 14 day lockdown in the coming days.

I am going to make sure I have a few supplies for 14 days, not toilet rolls for years, but some supplies.

It is the only way to keep this virus at bay...

Partial lockdown in Spain and France following and Norway..  Latvia...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:24:28 PM by Jari »

sheila99

« Reply #560 on: March 14, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »

Well said ElkWarning. Anyone who isn't concerned either doesn't have or doesn't care about their elderly relatives. DDs teacher told her they don't need to worry, adolescents will be OK. That's true but she has one grandparent left and she will die if she gets it. There are people on this site unlikely to survive it.

suzysunday

« Reply #561 on: March 14, 2020, 08:45:44 PM »

The situation is scary and seems new Zealand has got a lot right.  All this herd immunity doesn't feel right.  And the panic buying is outrageously selfish. I can't find toilet rolls anywhere.  Heard about people loading their cars with packs of them and supermarket letting them. What happens if similar occurs with food.

Jari

« Reply #562 on: March 14, 2020, 08:49:26 PM »

Teresa, yes my street is very quiet too. I believe the virus could cause pneumonia which damages the lungs. It is wise to stay at home!

Panic buying doesn't help.

Good to have some tins and supplies for a couple of weeks, so you do not have to go out.. x

CLKD

« Reply #563 on: March 14, 2020, 08:52:40 PM »

A big problem in the UK is lack of beds.  So some people may not survive when they may have done, had it not been a pandemic.  I haven't heard of any countries holding bodies in fridges yet ..........

Why 14 days though, this Bug is a rolling virus surely?  Some say that schools could be closed for weeks++. 

CLKD

« Reply #564 on: March 14, 2020, 09:12:58 PM »

I noticed from mid-week less vehicles and along the A14 it was quite quiet yesterday    .........    plenty of European lorries still and lots of Jack Richards and Eddie Stobart

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #565 on: March 14, 2020, 09:27:25 PM »

my aunt in scotland tells me that her local Curry's has sold out of freezers!  people have bought them all to store stuff in their garages and outhouses.

Katejo

« Reply #566 on: March 14, 2020, 09:33:59 PM »

my aunt in scotland tells me that her local Curry's has sold out of freezers!  people have bought them all to store stuff in their garages and outhouses.
  I'd have nowhere to put one.

jaycee

« Reply #567 on: March 14, 2020, 10:57:37 PM »

Looks like we might need to stockpile food after all, as new rules coming in for 0ver 70s, not to go out for 4 months, i AM very worried now
What about Hospital appointments, Drs etc,
Wasn't overly worried before but the thought ofbeing forced to stay in does worry me,it shows how serious it really is

Sparrow

« Reply #568 on: March 14, 2020, 11:24:36 PM »

This has come from a Roberts Peston tweet.  How the the hell does he know. Totally unethical whether it's true or not.  This sort of information should come from government and no where else.

A lot of hostility on his tweeter fed now and many pointing out that people in their seventies still work anyway.  Totally unenforceable, unless this is a police state, or perhaps it is.

Katejo

« Reply #569 on: March 14, 2020, 11:30:31 PM »

Me neither..my kitchen is 8ftx5ft😁
Mine is a bit bigger (about 8 by 11) but not big enough and no garage.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 179