Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 196322 times)

sheila99

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #540 on: March 13, 2020, 07:32:40 PM »

You can. They've done it in other countries.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #541 on: March 13, 2020, 08:06:50 PM »

? how ? 

Taz2

« Reply #542 on: March 13, 2020, 08:22:17 PM »

Unfortunately being a virus there is no current treatment or cure for it even when it reaches the serious stage of pneumonia and needing hospitalisation. I don't think that is bacterial pneumonia that is the biggest worry Taz as I understand - although maybe that can happen too? That wouldn't be so bad because antibiotics could treat it as you say but I think it is viral pneumonia. From what I've read the complications that some people go on to experience are due to an extreme response of the immune system to the virus which can then overwhelm the body leading to multiple organ failure (due to insufficient oxygen), septic shock, heart attack and death and there is no treatment for this other than oxygen and ventilation of the lungs hence the worry that there may not be enough equipment for everyone and the statement that loved ones will die.

Hurdity x

Sorry Hurdity - yes you are right in that it's not a bacterial pneumonia but I think it's called an inflammatory pneumonia and it seems that patients have been treated with moxifloxacin together with other antibiotics. I think I've heard the multiple organ failure called some sort of storm but I can't remember the terminology.

Taz x

Two hoots

« Reply #543 on: March 14, 2020, 01:48:06 PM »

I've decided that I want the news to report only how many people are currently in hospital or have sadly died in this country, how many are at home feeling unwell inflates the figures and I'm already no longer interested.

The outbreak in Italy was concentrated in one region in the north and that's why the hospitals are struggling, other parts of Italy have the virus but not in the large numbers.  In the UK the cases are spread over most of the country, my county has 3 cases but all routine hospital operations are cancelled, are any of these 3 actually in hospital ? It's not reported, are they still unwell, again not reported.

I think it's a serious problem, it's a highly contagious illness, but stopping routine hospital operations, in my opinion it is going too far.

Sparrow

« Reply #544 on: March 14, 2020, 01:57:25 PM »

I think you are right TH.  They are stopping routine testing and only those hospitalised will be tested now.  This makes total sense to me as why have valuable medical staff testing people, when most are negative anyway.

Two hoots

« Reply #545 on: March 14, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »

The figures they quote of xxxxx  people who have been tested means nothing, but it's a BIG figure but so what the huge majority didn't have it. 

Unfortunately the number of deaths here has risen to 21.  However we lose a loved one it's devastating, I feel sorry for their family and friends.

jaycee

« Reply #546 on: March 14, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »

My daughters partners grand daughter was taken to hospital last night ,she is only 4.she couldn't breathe and was coughing, there was no one else waiting,but she was waiting for hours,and then sent home and told her mum to give her paracetamol
My Derm who i saw on Thursday said."go home and hide,we have a bumpy time coming :o"

Taz2

« Reply #547 on: March 14, 2020, 03:04:08 PM »

My son is playing his first music gig for a year tonight and we've been deliberating all day as to whether to go. It's a small gig, under 200 people, and neither of us has elderly or sick dependents. We are both still working which brings its own risks I guess so we've decided to go and follow all the guidelines including elbow-bumping   :)

Taz x

jaycee

« Reply #548 on: March 14, 2020, 03:06:33 PM »

Spoke yesterday to son living in Spain, their usual market was closed down and supermarkets had no meat or fruit and veg
Just read today that beaches are being closed, and Spain could go into lock down
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 02:45:31 PM by jaycee »

ElkWarning

« Reply #549 on: March 14, 2020, 03:24:57 PM »

I work in a medical school. As from yesterday we were all told to go home and not come back, to socially distance ourselves and self isolate if unwell. This is doctors and researchers. In this last week I've witnessed wills for 2 NHS consultants. I am, of course, following advice.

Sparrow

« Reply #550 on: March 14, 2020, 03:33:14 PM »

You would have thought supposedly intelligent people like doctors would already have wills ???

sheila99

« Reply #551 on: March 14, 2020, 04:01:15 PM »

New Zealand is isolating new arrivals for 14 days, they have 6 cases. I'm not sure if it's our politicians or 'experts' who are to blame for letting it spread here, it seems they all have their heads so far up their backsides they couldn't see what was going to happen. Surely any fool can work out an infectious disease left unchecked was guaranteed to end up spreading throughout the population.

Sparrow

« Reply #552 on: March 14, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »

Spot on Stella.

The panic has become more of a worry that the virus. I'm definitely not going into hiding.

Two hoots

« Reply #553 on: March 14, 2020, 04:14:18 PM »

No I mean the numbers in the UK  :) , as of today it's 1,140 confirmed with the virus and 21 deaths of people with other complications along with coronovirus, the news spends over 20 minutes on this, they mention all the large numbers of how many have been tested and worldwide cases, it's easy reporting.

I'm still hoping my June cruise to Italy goes ahead  :great:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #554 on: March 14, 2020, 04:30:35 PM »

GO! we have been to two small antique fairs today.  One has to be sensible.  We all know each other and then checked to make sure we were healthy B4 talking.  Job done.  It's groups of over 100 people that may well be stopped. This seems to be to keep the NHS ticking over by spreading out the incidence of cases. 

Routine operations have to be stopped to allow for emergencies, for example I attended a medical situation this morning  ::) [always in the wrong  place etc.] and the lady needed to go to Hospital.  Routine ops are often stopped but it isn't reported.  Beds, linen, nursing staff etc. have to be available for excessive events.  Which currently this one appears to be.

The UK Labs simply can't cope with testing 'in case' situations.  They have difficulty keeping up as it is!  Can you imagine all those Petrie dishes waiting in batches ............ and there has to be continual testing of a positive result to make sure that the virus has gone. 

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 179