Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194130 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #525 on: March 13, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »

I have just been reading that some GP Practices in my area are not making face to face appointments only phone appointments.  I made an appointment yesterday but that will probably be changed now. 

Not a hand sanitiser to be seen in any shops in our market town this morning.  When Mum's bottle runs out I will make some lotion up with anti bacterial washing up liquid and use the same bottle.

I still can't work out why people are buying massive packs of loo rolls.  Aldi had plenty yesterday but people were picking up great packs with about 12 rolls in them and then chucking a few more in!  I bought my usual pack of 4.

Taz2

« Reply #526 on: March 13, 2020, 03:28:13 PM »

People are panic buying where I am.  Went to the supermarket this morning, no toilet rolls, no painkillers, no wipes and no disinfectant. (What is everyone doing with this disinfectant)

Wiping down their hard surfaces, door handles, doorbell pushes, keyboards, mobile phones, tv remotes etc etc I think. Never ending!

Taz x

Countrygirl

« Reply #527 on: March 13, 2020, 03:39:04 PM »

Hand sanitiser is one of the only things we haven't got round here along with pasta and rice, loo roll is hit and miss depending when deliveries are x

I've found having hot flushes can be a bit of a liability with people being so alert to fevers especially when your face glows a wonderful shade of red 🙄 x

Sparrow

« Reply #528 on: March 13, 2020, 04:00:16 PM »

I have non allergic retinitis, which makes me sneeze and cough.  Get it on and off all year round.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #529 on: March 13, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »

Tnx Taz :: Boris made that very clear yesterday afternoon on the 'extra' programme. [which meant I missed escape to the country  :cuss: ]

No shelf shortages in our village shops ;-) so am keeping that to myself .......

I think my allergic rhinitis saves me from a lot of bugs!

Teresa - I have explained where previously  ::) Do keep up  ;D.  Gold is strong so easy to borrow against. 

Tom Hanx and his wife are isolated in hospital apparently  :whist:  personally, haven't got a clue in our neighbourhood.

Hurdity

« Reply #530 on: March 13, 2020, 05:08:49 PM »

I agree panic buying is absurd - I mean you can't keep panic buying for 3 months or more FFS! You have to start eating the stuff (or using it ::) ) at some point!

However don't underestimate the seriousness of this and the capacity of the sheer numbers of people who need hospital treatment when the pandemic is at its peak in UK to overwhelm the NHS. If you see it as media hype you must be looking at the wrong media! Read the scientific articles, the WHO reports and summaries thereof for your information - not the Sun or its like which talks about a "killer bug" I saw when I clicked on something!

Unfortunately being a virus there is no current treatment or cure for it even when it reaches the serious stage of pneumonia and needing hospitalisation. I don't think that is bacterial pneumonia that is the biggest worry Taz as I understand - although maybe that can happen too? That wouldn't be so bad because antibiotics could treat it as you say but I think it is viral pneumonia. From what I've read the complications that some people go on to experience are due to an extreme response of the immune system to the virus which can then overwhelm the body leading to multiple organ failure (due to insufficient oxygen), septic shock, heart attack and death and there is no treatment for this other than oxygen and ventilation of the lungs hence the worry that there may not be enough equipment for everyone and the statement that loved ones will die. This worries me hugely - I have several vulnerable loved ones ie close family (one elderly, 2 older but with health conditions and one young with a respiratory condition) and I am very worried indeed.

The stark facts are that in Italy, so I read, there were just not enough oxygen machines or whatever is needed for everyone so medical staff had to prioritise who had them. Underlying health conditions or not none of us want this to be our loved ones...hence needing to flatten the peak and push it towards the summer when there is less pressure from seasonal illnesses and everyone is outside more.

Don't forget everyone that this is a new virus and we have no acquired immunity, and the deaths that will occur are IN ADDITION TO those that have already occurred or will do so from seasonal flu ( from which many vulnerable people are protected through the annual flu vaccine).

God just read that back and it sounds depressing - soz folks!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #531 on: March 13, 2020, 05:45:36 PM »

"Non allergici rhinitis"  :-\     ............

We went to a petrol station earlier and not 1 person was wiping down prior to using pumps or the keypad and there wasn't a member of staff on hand with gel  >:(.  We need to know how long this particular bugs lasts and on what it survivies.

Ju Ju

« Reply #532 on: March 13, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »

I'm concerned for my parents, who are well into their 90s, as well as myself. I have asthma, which is reasonably well controlled unless I get an infection. I've required hospitalisation twice in the last 5 years following minor infections, once resulting in bacterial pneumonia, which responded to antibiotics eventually. Luckily I rarely catch things, which I attribute to years of teaching young children! However, this is different, but it's no good getting worried. I shall look after myself, get on with living well and having fun! What will be will be.

Sadly, my son and family have had to cancel their trip from the USA to stay with us. Although, travel to the uk is not banned yet, the risk of having to isolate themselves over here is too great and would put their jobs in jeopardy. My son is a paramedic, so is probably at more risk at work than flying on an empty plane!

There were wipes in the library and in the opticians this morning. I couldn't find my antibacterial gel, but found it later under the car seat. Of course, none available in the shops.

Sparrow

« Reply #533 on: March 13, 2020, 05:57:04 PM »

"Non allergici rhinitis"  :-\     ............

We went to a petrol station earlier and not 1 person was wiping down prior to using pumps or the keypad and there wasn't a member of staff on hand with gel  >:(.  We need to know how long this particular bugs lasts and on what it survivies.

Yes, it's caused by over sensitive blood vessels in the nose.  Set off by strong smell in particular.  You won't get me in a Lush shop.

Two hoots

« Reply #534 on: March 13, 2020, 06:33:01 PM »

Do any of you know anyone who's got it/is self isolating at the moment?

No  :)

Sparrow

« Reply #535 on: March 13, 2020, 06:36:17 PM »

Same here.

littleminnie

« Reply #536 on: March 13, 2020, 06:44:15 PM »

I know ☝️

CLKD

« Reply #537 on: March 13, 2020, 06:52:50 PM »

Life has to go on.  Companies will go bankrupt at this rate  :-\.  I would worry more about D&V from the loos at an event ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #538 on: March 13, 2020, 07:02:13 PM »

I think we need more clarity on how people have contracted it.  The care worker in Northampton for example? How, where, when, from whom?

Sparrow

« Reply #539 on: March 13, 2020, 07:23:13 PM »

My nephew's been advised to self isolate for the duration as he has cystic fibrosis. His employer is supportive thankfully.

How on earth do you effectively self isolate when living in the same house unless its a mansion Teresa?

I have rhinitis as well Shadyglade - I know what you mean about Lush (makes my nose tingle just thinking about it!).

They've suggested most of us are likely to contract the virus at some stage. Does anyone know if that's actually been the case in other countries?

I've stopped reading about it Hurdity. It's too miserable. What will be will be.

I don't think we will ever know because some get it but with no symptoms.  One expert reckoned up to 50%.  That's also why you can't really stop the spread.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 179