Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194161 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #495 on: March 12, 2020, 06:34:25 PM »

I think asking for payment is wrong.  Do you not have insurance against closure?  If holidays are cancelled then one gets money back, surely you are offering a service which is being withdrawn?  I would wait and see how many parents offer or you may well put backs up and they will go elsewhere so that you may lose your client base. 

Ireland have insisted on closing schools and nurseries but not on the mainland. 

Katejo

« Reply #496 on: March 12, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »

Spent the day typing and sending a Coronavirus policy to send to the parents of our childminding setting.  We have lots of children as me and my husband and 1 childminding together.

Basically setting out the situations where children will be excluded and if the government asks childcare settings to close.  If they did that, we would still ask for payment, if we didn't we literally would have no income!  This is the stance all childcare settings are taking. 

Looks as if my holiday to Spain in three weeks may be cancelled, talking to one of our parents who is a local GP, as she feels it is likely, she is going to Milan when we are closed!  Or maybe not.
I have just  seen a complaint from a parent who has been told that her child's school is closing and that her childminder has decided independently to self isolate as a precaution and not continue her services. However she still expects the parent to pay the full rate! That doesn't sound reasonable.

Sparrow

« Reply #497 on: March 12, 2020, 06:41:56 PM »

Probably not legal.

CLKD

« Reply #498 on: March 12, 2020, 06:42:54 PM »

I think it is totally reasonable.  They are running a business, hopefully with firm Contracts.  Self isolation is for 2 weeks, totally un-necessary if someone has not been in contact with a possible contaminant.   .......... the time to discuss fees may well be after they find out if they have been infected.   She probably has to sort out her accounting system B4 she is able to make other decisions.

Why not Shadyglade?  How many times have parents withdrawn a child at short notice  ........ this is unprecedented, there has 2 B flexibility.

Sparrow

« Reply #499 on: March 12, 2020, 07:09:25 PM »

Sounds like a breach of contract to me.  The service being paid for is not being supplied.

Jari

« Reply #500 on: March 12, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »

Just heard from a friend in France that they are expecting an announcement from Macron at 8pm to say France is closing it's borders...

Donnadoobie

« Reply #501 on: March 12, 2020, 07:42:41 PM »

Our sickness and holiday policy states that parents pay for days taken as sickness or for holiday, this is standard across the childcare sector. This situation has no precedence.

Anyone who feels it is unreasonable to charge for a forced closure has never had to think about the prospect of no income coming in at all, or how long that might last.  What do I say to my employee, bank, electricity company, supermarket...........?  Sorry I can't pay you because I have had to close my business down!  Self employed people  already do not get paid for sickness and holidays, or even claim unemployment benefit.  I don't charge for my sickness or holidays.  I have taken 1 day off sick in 23 years, I work the other times I am sick, even worked the next day after being up all night when each one of my parents died.  Our parents have all been very supportive.

As for the childminder who self isolated, it is her business she can operate it how she wants.  What she did not do is plan and make a policy and then ask all parents to agree to the new policy, as you would do with any changes to a contract.  It is communication that is the key.

I am hoping we don't have to close but we have to plan for our business in case we do.  If the mortgage, electricity, oil, etc is not paid, there may not be a business to come back to. I really feel for self employed people who will lose their businesses over this.

I have not got an insurance for closure, I have never needed one in 23 years, I have also heard some won't pay out as it is an act of god. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:47:14 PM by Donnadoobie »

CLKD

« Reply #502 on: March 12, 2020, 08:04:57 PM »

I think the Government is helping small business so you should be able to apply Donnadoobie.  Ring your financial provider to find out? or the BBC web-sites or Government up2date advice lines?  This situation is the worse for a generation ........ what ever a generation might mean?

I can't remember anything like this apart from all the advertising about the AIDs epedemic. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:36:52 PM by CLKD »

Padine

« Reply #503 on: March 12, 2020, 08:15:49 PM »

I have just had a teenage piano pupil and he said if local high school closes, all pupils are set up to do exam prep, homework etc on line. Apparently staff have been working flat out to upload everything which all years will need to complete Outcomes etc to meet targets for 2019/20.

Donnadoobie, the government should compensate people like you and your husband who will lose money through no fault of their own. As for "An act of God", I was in a horrendous car crash 40 years ago, had a brain injury, left with a permanent back injury and have had to spend ?1000s on dental work over the years as all my teeth were smashed. The enquiry deemed that "As act of God" and it's so unfair,  but I didn't die.

CLKD, you are totally correct about pupils being taken out of school at short notice to go on holiday (at cheaper holiday times).

Just my humble opinion.

CLKD

« Reply #504 on: March 12, 2020, 08:17:40 PM »

Valued Padine Tnx.

How did a car accident be 'an act of God'?  I never typed medical reports following accidents with that expression!

Donnadoobie

« Reply #505 on: March 12, 2020, 08:36:20 PM »

If, and I think it is a big if, the government compensated us for loss if earning, I would, of course compensate our families.  Most have been with us for many years

CLKD

« Reply #506 on: March 12, 2020, 08:38:46 PM »

Maybe keep a record of what happens?  A paper trail is always useful.

What I would like to know is, as each area is reported as having confirmed cases, where these people have travelled to in the last 3 months.  None of those I am in contact with regularly travels and I don't have to travel in close proximity nor do I have anything to do with children who are known to carry Bugs Whole sale  ::)

Katejo

« Reply #507 on: March 12, 2020, 09:31:46 PM »

Sounds like a breach of contract to me.  The service being paid for is not being supplied.
The parent accepts that, if her child were sick or on holiday, she would still have to pay for the care but here the carer has decided not to offer the service.

sheila99

« Reply #508 on: March 12, 2020, 10:31:33 PM »

Why is child minding different to any other business? No service no payment IMO. You wouldn't pay the supermarket if they didn't provide any food. If our cows die no one will pay us for them, it's one of the things you have accept if you run your own business. No sick pay for us either and however sick we are animals still have to be fed.

Sparrow

« Reply #509 on: March 13, 2020, 07:34:53 AM »

Just heard.  27 million Americans have no health insurance.  Scary.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 179