Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194095 times)

Two hoots

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #480 on: March 12, 2020, 10:10:47 AM »

US stops flights from Europe...

The U.K. Is not included in this.

sheila99

« Reply #481 on: March 12, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »

Don't think we're in a position to criticise Trump while we're sitting back letting it spread until it's out of control in the UK.

Barnacle

« Reply #482 on: March 12, 2020, 12:23:24 PM »

Denmark on lock down and in the U.K. we go shopping mad for toilet rolls! 🤣

But that's our mantra jari  ::)

"keep clam and carry on, just as long as you have a clean arse"

ElkWarning

« Reply #483 on: March 12, 2020, 02:31:23 PM »

From the Guardian:  'A leading public health expert has launched a devastating critique of the government's handling of the coronavirus outbreak in the UK, saying it is too little too late, lacks transparency and fails to mobilise the public.

Prof John Ashton, a former regional director of public health for north-west England, lambasted a lack of preparation and openness from the government and contrasted Britain's response to that of Hong Kong.

?Right at the beginning of February, they [Hong Kong] adopted a total approach to this, which is what we should have done five weeks ago ourselves.'

I totally agree.

And testing stopped some days ago.  Only those requiring medical intervention are tested now.  In other words, those figures for infection, they don't mean diddly squat.

I have moved from concerned to exasperated.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #484 on: March 12, 2020, 02:53:40 PM »

Can anybody tell me why people are stockpiling toilet paper?  The Corona Virus doesn't cause diarrhoea does it?

Our local medical practice has had a large dispenser of hand sanitiser ripped off the wall and stolen.

I heard someone on the radio saying she works days in a care home.  There was a large stock of toilet rolls when she left the other day but by the next morning when she went in they had all gone so the night staff must have stolen them.

it seems some people will stop at nothing!

sheila99

« Reply #485 on: March 12, 2020, 03:00:12 PM »

I fully agree with John Ashton, I have been exasperated right from the start. I can't understand what they won't act before it's too late.
I can't understand the toilet paper either. Perhaps if it caused diarrhoea but it doesn't. I can understand enough supplies for a couple of weeks but that wouldn't cause shortages.

sheila99

« Reply #486 on: March 12, 2020, 03:57:02 PM »

That's an insult to sheep, they aren't that stupid!

Sparrow

« Reply #487 on: March 12, 2020, 04:31:43 PM »

Announcement from Cobra imminent.

Countrygirl

« Reply #488 on: March 12, 2020, 05:01:49 PM »

They are no longer going to keep testing people for it and if you think you have it (high fever, continuous cough)self isolate for 7 days, no international school trips, advising people over 70 with existing health conditions not to go on cruises are the ones I heard x

Katejo

« Reply #489 on: March 12, 2020, 05:23:42 PM »

They are no longer going to keep testing people for it and if you think you have it (high fever, continuous cough)self isolate for 7 days, no international school trips, advising people over 70 with existing health conditions not to go on cruises are the ones I heard x

A friend of mine has just had to cancel 2 trips. 1 was a school trip to Switzerland (as supervising teacher) but two of the Swiss staff/students have Corona so the school has cancelled the visit. The 2nd is her own family trip to Italy at Easter.

Now insurance companies are refusing to cover Corona in any new policies sold. LV has decided not to sell any at all for the time being.

Barnacle

« Reply #490 on: March 12, 2020, 05:24:41 PM »

I have moved from concerned to exasperated.

Me too!

The stats speak for themselves

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #491 on: March 12, 2020, 05:55:14 PM »

stats can prove anything ;-)

Also there will always be those that will criticise the Government of the Day! so try not to take much notice of 'those'.  Do what is advised at local level, that is good hand hygiene, keep well away from people - hard if 1 travels by Tube/train every day  >:(; laundry towels, sheets etc. on a boil wash more often; however at local level I have heard nowt from my Surgery  ::). Maybe when I go in for my prescription tomorrow I will get an update. 

Hand sanitisers have often been stolen which is why many Hospitals stopped providing them.  We were encouraged to carry our own as early as 2009 when Dad had treatment.  Haven't heard from Mum's Care Home yet.

Now people are being told to self isolate for 7 days if they have a cold, continual cough or fever.  I wouldn't know where our thermometer is and this probably means that already the NHS doesn't have Lab capacity in order to test every sample that appears.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:19:57 PM by CLKD »

Sparrow

« Reply #492 on: March 12, 2020, 06:09:33 PM »

A friend of mine has just had to cancel 2 trips. 1 was a school trip to Switzerland (as supervising teacher) but two of the Swiss staff/students have Corona so the school has cancelled the visit. The 2nd is her own family trip to Italy at Easter.

Now insurance companies are refusing to cover Corona in any new policies sold. LV has decided not to sell any at all for the time being.

Our River Cruise company is saying they will accept amendments and cancellations up to 24 hours, before departure.  Seems very fair.

Countrygirl

« Reply #493 on: March 12, 2020, 06:17:08 PM »

They sound like a really reasonable company Shadyglade, hopefully others will follow their example x

Donnadoobie

« Reply #494 on: March 12, 2020, 06:31:25 PM »

Spent the day typing and sending a Coronavirus policy to send to the parents of our childminding setting.  We have lots of children as me and my husband and 1 childminding together.

Basically setting out the situations where children will be excluded and if the government asks childcare settings to close.  If they did that, we would still ask for payment, if we didn't we literally would have no income!  This is the stance all childcare settings are taking. 

Looks as if my holiday to Spain in three weeks may be cancelled, talking to one of our parents who is a local GP, as she feels it is likely, she is going to Milan when we are closed!  Or maybe not.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 179