Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194126 times)

Hurdity

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #435 on: March 10, 2020, 09:00:24 AM »

I was half listening to something this evening on either Radio 4 or 5 which gave a detailed reason why it's not good to shut down everything too soon. Very scientific as to when it is put in place. I didn't understand it myself though!

Taz  :-\

I heard that thinking is not to take drastic measures too early. Analysis of the data so far show that the majority of cases are from people who have been to high risk areas or immediately connected to them. The number of cases of person to person transmission where the chain of infectivity is not known remains very very small. From study of lots of cases it is also thought that people are mostly not infectious until they show symptoms (think I gleaned that anyway, but someone can put me right if I've misremembered!). There will obviously be some though (so called super-spreaders?).

The difficulty is getting the timing right. Obviously the virus will almost be halted in its tracks if noone goes out for the next month and all public transport is stopped, but that's not practicable and nor is Italian style lock down for the moment.

But timing is crucial....

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #436 on: March 10, 2020, 10:35:41 AM »

It's those that have a cold or don't realise that they are carrying the virus - what ever it might be - that are the ones to avoid  ::).  Our village shop has plenty of everything except hand sanitiser - that'll be the Co-op then ;-)

littleminnie

« Reply #437 on: March 10, 2020, 03:04:52 PM »

Another 54 cases today.

Katejo

« Reply #438 on: March 10, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »

My workplace is preparing for a possible sudden requirement to close down and for us to work from home. We have to think about possible tasks to do at home and about accessing our usual resources remotely.

Sparrow

« Reply #439 on: March 10, 2020, 04:00:50 PM »

There has just been an item on the news about that.  It was concerning making sure the Internet connection is secure enough.  How that's done is beyond me.

CLKD

« Reply #440 on: March 10, 2020, 04:20:44 PM »

Because more people in different areas will be putting pressure on services that may not be up to scratch. Rural areas have no where near the band width that workers expect in Cities ;-).

Off to buy some matches and candles in case the electric goes off  ;)

sheila99

« Reply #441 on: March 10, 2020, 05:29:18 PM »

We seem to have a history of inaction until it's too late. They knew foot and mouth was in the country before the market in Longtown that spread it round the country. If they'd stopped animal movement before that day it would have remained a small localised outbreak. Instead it took hold and it took 5 months and thousands of animals killed to control it. Same with foot and mouth. The small outbreak in Devon/Cornwall was left uncontrolled until 3/4 of the country has it. Because of this inaction around 100,000 cattle are killed every year as well as badgers (and a tb death is an unpleasant one). I know these are animal diseases but corona virus won't be easy to eradicate once it takes hold and we're sitting back letting it spread. I wonder if things would be different if it killed middle aged politicians instead instead of the old and ill? I expect to survive it but it's very unlikely my m-in-l will.

CLKD

« Reply #442 on: March 10, 2020, 06:41:31 PM »

DH has had a text message about what to do if he feels unwell.  I've been into the Surgery twice this week already and nowt was mentioned  ;D mayB they can see I'm fine ?

CLKD

« Reply #443 on: March 10, 2020, 06:52:33 PM »

Bridlington arcade owner fills grabber machine with loo roll

The owner of an amusement arcade in Bridlington has replaced soft toys with toilet rolls in one of his grabber machines.

Eddy Chapman came up with the idea after seeing people stocking up on the bathroom staple because of coronavirus concerns.  Mr Chapman said one couple had travelled more than 60 miles to play the grabber.

What's wrong with the daily paper, cut into squares.  If the grandchildren are safe with scissors, get them busy ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #444 on: March 10, 2020, 07:53:48 PM »

Of course we do  ;D

Not much sign of virus worries in Paris-Nice race, lots of hi-5s, hugging, hand shaking  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #445 on: March 10, 2020, 11:34:52 PM »

Worrying for you Teresa. Waiting to see the younger generation wiping their backsides with their mobile phones as they don't buy newspapers...   ???
Newsprint on backside CLKD??

yellowflower

« Reply #446 on: March 11, 2020, 07:56:13 AM »

Of course we do  ;D

Not much sign of virus worries in Paris-Nice race, lots of hi-5s, hugging, hand shaking  ;D

We are being told in Australia, not to shake hands and regular hand washing. My nephew who works in the emergency department in Hobart, Tasmania was told that 80% of the population will be affected. Most will only experience cold symptoms, but some people will go straight to pneumonia.

CLKD

« Reply #447 on: March 11, 2020, 09:13:03 AM »

Apparently the Health Minister has tested positive, wonder where she's been.

If Schools close what happens to workers, industry, transport, Nurses, Solicitors, Undertakers ............

Sparrow

« Reply #448 on: March 11, 2020, 09:16:04 AM »

She was at a meeting at Downing Street on Thursday.  That could be interesting.

Good point about school closures.  What happens to health workers if they can't get childcare?

CLKD

« Reply #449 on: March 11, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »

Creche at work?

Looked at the BBC earlier:  a film from the main supplier of UK loo rolls worth a viewing:   'Don't panic, be community-minded', says loo roll boss
Many people in the UK have been stockpiling toilet paper in anticipation of isolation measures.

The rolls weigh 2.5 tonnes.  Won't run off with those!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 179