Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194156 times)

Hurdity

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #360 on: March 06, 2020, 09:01:04 AM »

yellowflower - percentages can be overly reassuring. They are irrelevant in this context. It is the absolute numbers of people that are likely to become infected and therefore potentially die which is the cause for concern - and the possible inadequte numbers of intensive care beds for those who need hospital treatment due to respiratory difficulties, when the infection is at its peak.

Hurdity x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #361 on: March 06, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »

Every time I turn on any channel some ?expert? is advising people to wash their hands and not to touch their face.

I could never visit the loo without washing my hands thoroughly, likewise before cooking or handling food.  When we used to go on long journeys we always ?freshened up? as soon as we arrived.   I taught my kids the same.  It is just unthinkable not to wash your hands but I expect some people need telling.

facebook is awash with a lengthy post about 'someone's uncle who is an expert in a Chinese hospital?.  I haven't shared it because I thought some of it was dubious.  Today Full Facts has published their response to it and while some of it is accurate, other stuff is not.   Google Full Facts Coronavirus Misleading Facebook Post. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #362 on: March 06, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »

Fake news or otherwise sells papers.  I noted that Megan and Harry weren't keeping away from the Irish public in their walk about yesterday  ::)

All 'flu viruses have the potential to weaken the immune system particularly in those with already diagnosed chronic conditions or who are undergoing chemo therapy.  'Flu doesn't kill per se, but the underlying health issues may well not be strong enough to fight the particular bug.  The person who died in the UK was in her 80s, had chronic health conditions.  Apparently.  Me: I think that reporting such issues is a breach of patient confidentiality, where do the media get that kind of information from ?  :-\. Had I given out any such details I would have been sacked on the spot.

Statistics can prove what the statistician wants them to prove. I worked with several  ::)

Do what is necessary to keep you and yours safe. It is quite obvious that the Government of the Day have hardly any idea how this virus works and Matt Hancock is a Minister not a clinician.

I got through the night.  Again.  Don't all go 'shame'  ;D

Sparrow

« Reply #363 on: March 06, 2020, 01:56:52 PM »

Good points Teresa.

Also many infected have no symptoms, I have heard that could be 50%.  If that is so what's the point of self isolating.

CLKD

« Reply #364 on: March 06, 2020, 02:30:48 PM »

It is what it is.  Some say that the Planet is over-crowded and we are 'due' a placque  ::) [pity I can't spell  :D ]

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #365 on: March 06, 2020, 03:44:00 PM »

It is what it is.  Some say that the Planet is over-crowded and we are 'due' a placque  ::) [pity I can't spell  :D ]

Plague!  Made me smile  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #366 on: March 06, 2020, 06:37:12 PM »

;D. tnx PF

Apparently in Italy deaths are many.  Most have required IC treatment with intubation. 

Hurdity

« Reply #367 on: March 07, 2020, 10:34:37 AM »

For those who want some hard facts and analysis, as opposed to all the rumours, hearsay and supposed fake news which abound in the media,  here is a comment on Reddit about the recent WHO report who sent a team of 25 international experts to investigate the situation, in which the writer highlights and summarises from some of the findings and stats.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fbt49e/the_who_sent_25_international_experts_to_china/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Here is the link to the main report:
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #368 on: March 07, 2020, 11:26:15 AM »

;D

No loo rolls in our local shops.  I had a conversation with a lass of about 35 regarding 'going across the yard to use the vault with the Pink 'un as we didn't have loo roll anyway' ..........

It is a respiratory virus not D&V  :D.  By the way, I got through the night.  Again  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #369 on: March 07, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »

Stop reading .........  ???  ;D

How much information about patients that do succumb to side effects of this Virus should the public be allowed to know?  How much is in the 'best interests'?  It's a grey area between patient confidentiality and what is news worthy.  M Keynes has had a death: 82 year old with underlying long time chronic illness.  So he would probably have died from those or from seasonal 'flu.  Or not.

Also: someone who died during the week in the UK had been tested positive in hospital but died "B4 the 2nd test came back".  Which means what exactly? 

Sparrow

« Reply #370 on: March 07, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »

It doesn't work trying to work out what will happen here by examining data from China.

Firstly the virus will have already mutated. Second the area infected in China is heavily polluted so people were already resporaily compromised. Third, no free health care in China so again people more likely to be less robust. Fourthly different populations respond differently to the same virus.

We will just have to wait and see and avoid unreliable news sources.

Katejo

« Reply #371 on: March 07, 2020, 02:31:13 PM »

1 of the hotels holding Corona quarantine patients in China has just collapsed injuring around 70 people!

CLKD

« Reply #372 on: March 07, 2020, 02:53:44 PM »

Now call me a cynic  :-\  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #373 on: March 07, 2020, 05:09:25 PM »

Have you seen the song from Vietnam?  Worth a look-see ;-)

Countrygirl

« Reply #374 on: March 08, 2020, 07:13:38 AM »

We bought our normal shopping yesterday except for an extra bag of dog food and the shops were busy but only handwash and loo roll was low on stock. Didn't see any panic buying and we have confirmed cases just down the road x
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 179