Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 196407 times)

Hurdity

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #345 on: March 05, 2020, 10:12:10 AM »

The annoying thing is they're not saying where all the new cases are ie mapping them in UK on an ongoing basis like at the beginning (apparently Public Health England have said this anyway) and the hot spots. Is this so that we are all paranoid and act as if the next person might have it?

Hurdity x

Sparrow

« Reply #346 on: March 05, 2020, 10:15:59 AM »

Stellajane, if 111 thinks you may be infected you will be tested.  I presume that if that is negative there will be no reason to self isolate.

Probably not a full proof system but nothing ever is.  The first person you may talk to on 111 is often not medically trained.  However, if what you say matches the symptoms you will be passed on to a medic. Well that what happened when I called a few years ago on another matter.

The decision to stop area infection numbers was a Government one, not NHS England.  They have now backtracked and reversed it. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:12:15 AM by Shadyglade »

Hurdity

« Reply #347 on: March 05, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »

The advice on sneezing into a tissue I found highly amusing for a different reason - I mean can you imagine it - you suddenly feel a tickle, and then "Aah....aaah........aaah.....aaah...." pause while you run or delve around to find a tissue (depending where you are) "....aaah....aaah.....aaaah.....aaah" . Great found one "....tishoo" !!!!! I mean I think i'ts going to be the sleeve ( and coat in a bin!) for most people.;D If I'm caught short (so to speak) I tend to do a closed sneeze that doesn't go anywhere   but someone told me a couple of days ago you can burst a blood vessel by doing that! Can't win!

Hurdity x

Two hoots

« Reply #348 on: March 05, 2020, 01:20:49 PM »

The news spends 20 minutes per bulletin on coronovirus, but it doesn't tell us what we need to know, what happens when you call 111 and they suspect you may have the virus, what happens next ?

Of the 90 or so confirmed cases, how many are now recovered and back home ? Or did they isolate at home and not even go into hospital ?

Are they checking people arriving into the country from China, Italy, Korea etc at the airports, it's all well and good telling us to wash our hands but if you can arrive and have no check then that's asking for trouble  :-\

Sparrow

« Reply #349 on: March 05, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »

There have been news items about testing.  You have to attend a facility when you have swabs taken.  This is done whilst you are still in your car, by a nurse in protective clothing.

As for the conspiracy theories, they are rife at the moment.  Best not to listen as they are rarely correct.

Sparrow

« Reply #350 on: March 05, 2020, 02:14:42 PM »

You never know your luck.  ;D

I expect there are arrangements for the car less.

Two hoots

« Reply #351 on: March 05, 2020, 02:49:21 PM »

There have been news items about testing.  You have to attend a facility when you have swabs taken.  This is done whilst you are still in your car, by a nurse in protective clothing.

As for the conspiracy theories, they are rife at the moment.  Best not to listen as they are rarely correct.

Wasn't that testing in a large London hospital, is it the same in rural areas, it's only half a news story  :( and if it's positive then what ? Does everyone have to be admitted to hospital ? All we need to know are basic facts, no scare stories about how the NHS won't be able to cope  >:(

Sparrow

« Reply #352 on: March 05, 2020, 03:51:57 PM »

Wasn't that testing in a large London hospital, is it the same in rural areas, it's only half a news story  :( and if it's positive then what ? Does everyone have to be admitted to hospital ? All we need to know are basic facts, no scare stories about how the NHS won't be able to cope  >:(

To be honest I wouldn't worry TH.  If it's thought you need testing it's up to the Health Authority to make sure that happens.

Also it will probably get to the point where only the really ill are hospitalised and the rest stay at home.  Don't think we are anywhere near that yet.

Two hoots

« Reply #353 on: March 05, 2020, 04:13:22 PM »

I'm not worrying there has only been one case near me, it's the news it's not giving the basic information people need, I find it really annoying  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #354 on: March 05, 2020, 05:53:20 PM »

Or in a tent outside a hospital as I previously said.

A person who feels ill will be asked if they have been to affected countries in the past 4 weeks.  Or whether they have had contact with persons who have returned from those affected countries.  Then those people will also be contacted to see if they have suffered symptoms.

It should be easy to contact all passengers on flights/cruises as there will be information collected that you could never believe is collect.  Apparently.  Those on trains/tube will be more difficult track.

I would wait 24 hours to see whether the symptoms remain static or get worse then ring?  We already know who we have been in contact with and if they have been abroad/not.  It is best to take the tissue home and burn it - not leave it in a bin for the crows to pull out to investigate  ::). I get the impression that the Government of the Day have no idea!  No common sense ?

I have a background head and neck ache daily.  No temperature.  No aches and pains.  No 'flu-like symptoms.

Suddenly we are 'short of Nursing Staff' - last year it was over 40,000 ....... but not a lot can be done - getting people back into Nursing won't happen easily due to CRB checks required.  They could do paper work and I could offer my services but can't be bothered to get up early enough.  If my Surgery rang for assistance I would need 2 days to get up to date on computer technology  ::)

There's a case near us ...... but that's all we know.  Data protection means that we can't know who it might be so every one is looking at every one else - 'they' keep telling us to stand so many metres away from others - what's that in pounds, shillings and pence. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #355 on: March 05, 2020, 06:31:28 PM »

How many lorry drivers in and out of Europe via Dover etc. are being temperature tested B4 being allowed to continue? 

It's all over the news like a rash again this evening and Matt Hancock has changed his tune now  ::)

yellowflower

« Reply #356 on: March 05, 2020, 10:17:04 PM »

It's to be expected, the world is a small place these days.

Can't say I'm over worried.  Apparently it's nowhere near as deadly as Sars, and that only killed about 800 people worldwide.

Higher chance of being struck by lightning but it will keep the gutter press busy for a while.  Every cloud etc.

My brothers are doctors. SARS infected around 8000 people and the death rate was 10%. My brothers tell me that coronavirus is more infectious than SARS, but less infectious than flu. The current mortality rate stands at 3.4%. 80% of people will have mild symptoms. 15% will have moderate symptoms and 5% will be severe.

The media should be ashamed of the reporting of this. They are causing panic and runs on items that are not in short supply. Quarantine is 14 days and people are behaving like there will be a lockdown for months.

Sparrow

« Reply #357 on: March 05, 2020, 10:46:12 PM »

Because that's what they do.

Not all by any means but some just can't resist a good headline.  Like the Sun headline PLAGUE SHIP and the Mail running an item on readers tips for stock piling.  That's really not helpful.

yellowflower

« Reply #358 on: March 06, 2020, 01:05:10 AM »

Fake news then.

Not completely, but we are not dealing with ebola. We are dealing with a virus that has the potential to cause pneumonia which can be fatal for the elderly and immune compromised. In first world countries, our medical systems should cope very well.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2020, 08:56:58 AM »

I agree Stellajane.  Create fear, control the people.

Perfectly timed distraction away from the economy, climate change and other stuff.

Call me a cynical old woman!  Yes that's me
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:02:22 AM by Donnadoobie »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 179