Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 194092 times)

Sparrow

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2020, 12:36:47 PM »

I think it is just the North of Italy.  North of Pisa was mentioned.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2020, 01:04:03 PM »

Time to get my Passport and go travelling  ;D

On the News right now. 

They are targeting the Pangolin as a source of infection as well as bats  :-\.  Pangolin are one of the most trafficked sources of food in the Far East and one of the rarest critters in the World  :'( - tastes like pork. Apparently.

Also - does it bother anyone else that there are suited beings spraying 'stuff' in busy areas?  What's the likelihood of that being more dangerous than a virus  :-\
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 01:34:50 PM by CLKD »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »

Someone in Tenerife has it now.

CLKD

« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »

Hotel in shut down? 

Katejo

« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2020, 03:02:27 PM »

Someone in Tenerife has it now.
It was a hospital doctor on holiday at a hotel there so now the hotel has closed and all the guests are confined to their rooms.

CLKD

« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2020, 03:10:44 PM »

So where had the Doctor been, prior to taking a holiday?  What had been touched - hand rails, toilet doors, taps ..........

CLKD

« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2020, 06:17:16 PM »

;D  .......... we have holidayed in the UK for years.  Now is the time to go abroad  ;D ......... but even in the UK one can't tell who might be infected.  Some say it's 2 weeks to 28 days B4 it shows itself  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2020, 07:06:25 PM »

I haven't read this thread (nor the detailed ins and outs of the whole saga) - just the odd post - but some of the last few comments portray some of the misleading information out there in the media.

There is a difference between virulence, immunity and transmissability. As far as we know from the information out there I gather it is not as virulent as "bog standard flu" - ie most people who catch it will not be very ill and the DEATH RATE (% mortality of those with the disease) is quite low (lower than "bog standard flu"). However with "bog standard flu" many vulnerable people and groups are vaccinated (no idea of the figures) and many have some NATURAL IMMUNITY to the flu viruses so reducing their SUSCEPTIBILITY to the disease and ABSOLUTE numbers getting it are therefore (relatively) low even though for those that catch it, the death RATE (ie for flu) maybe higher.

As this is a NEW VIRUS then there is no vaccine as yet, and natural immunity is unknown (presumably?). Added to this it appears to be highly transmissible (infectious) and therefore the ABSOLUTE NUMBERS are likely to be VERY HIGH indeed (as we have already seen) and therefore the numbers of people needing hospital treatment as a consequence also very high and the ABSOLUTE NUMBERS of DEATHS also relatively high, irrespective of its virulence for the majority of people who get it.

I haven't seen this written anywhere so it's just from my head as it strikes me so shoot me down if I'm talking rubbish re the above. However it just seems obvious that this is why there is such concern about its spread. No conspiracy theory, no over-reaction but genuine attempts to curb its spread before it becomes a pandemic - which in this global society travelling all over the world, may be inevitable.  Individuals who continue with their global holidays when they have been in a hotspot area (and who have no symptoms) are helping in the spread. We just do not have the hospital space to care for all the vulnerable people who will need hospital treatment should there be a pandemic.

Hurdity x

Sparrow

« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2020, 07:52:13 PM »

The WHO website is the best place to get up to date information.

CLKD

« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2020, 08:02:00 PM »

It's those that are unaware that they might be carriers where the problem lies.  As with all viruses.  It's the difference in 2 weeks/28 days that is the most worrying 'cos no one seems to know.  Better to err on the side of caution and treat it as 28 days.  Don't touch anyone else, hand rails, toilet doors etc.. 

It shows how widely people travel World Wide and how often. 

yellowflower

« Reply #205 on: February 26, 2020, 02:35:14 AM »

In Australia, they are talking now of "when" it will happen here rather than "if". The estimate is 700,000 eventually infected here. This is still likely to run for about 18 months, so we are in for a very unstable time worldwide.

sheila99

« Reply #206 on: February 26, 2020, 09:26:30 AM »

I think you're right Hurdity. I hope we don't end up shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.
Stable door still wide open and horse already galloping down the road...

Taz2

« Reply #207 on: February 26, 2020, 09:48:26 AM »

I wonder how useful the temperature testing is. My usual temperature is 35.5. If I showed a 'safe' reading of 37.5 I would be quite unwell but I'd pass the test?

Taz x

Sparrow

« Reply #208 on: February 26, 2020, 10:08:19 AM »

I wonder how useful the temperature testing is. My usual temperature is 35.5. If I showed a 'safe' reading of 37.5 I would be quite unwell but I'd pass the test?

Taz x

That's exactly the same for me. I also have a low natural level.

bear

« Reply #209 on: February 26, 2020, 01:51:30 PM »

Hi girls,

Here's another good source of information
https://promedmail.org/

BeaR.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 179