Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 196358 times)

Katejo

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »

Has anyone seen the video footage of trucks spreading some sort of aerosol spray around the streets in China? Cities going into lockdown. Not the sort of thing you'd normally expect for a virus that's similar to regular flu.

Worrying won't help at all Shadyglade.

I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping it doesn't blow our way!
A friend flew from Stockholm to Bologna during last week. On arrival every passenger's temperature was checked by guys in protective clothing. I wonder whether anyone with a cold was prevented from continuing.

Sparrow

« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2020, 12:07:23 PM »

What about a hot flush.  :sweatdrop:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2020, 01:31:38 PM »

A convoy of coaches with passengers wearing masks taken to Milton Keynes today - 2 didn't leave China due to higher than normal temperatures.  However, being in that situation would probably raise both temperature and blood pressure!

I do wish that the media wouldn't keep telling the public that Britons have been infected when they are ex-pats  :poke2:

Taz2

« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2020, 01:54:01 PM »

What about a hot flush.  :sweatdrop:

Hot flushes don't affect the core temperature - hard though that is to believe.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2020, 02:50:25 PM »

Hi Taz how you doing?

CLKD

« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2020, 03:47:09 PM »

Thousands of people stuck on a cruise ship in Hong Kong for four days have been allowed to disembark after tests for coronavirus came back negative.

Some 3,600 passengers and crew on the World Dream ship were quarantined amid fears some staff could have contracted the virus on a previous voyage.

yellowflower

« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2020, 09:56:26 PM »

Sixty percent of all human pathogens orginate in animals species.  It's nothing unusual.

Would worrying help?

It's not even the virus that is the concern anymore, it's the associated panic. I caught a train through Box Hill last week in Victoria. This has the highest population of Chinese residents in Victoria. As the train approached Box Hill, people started putting on face masks. Box Hill is a busy city with a major hospital and it is like a ghost town. It was eerie. There is a major shortage here of face masks, hand sanitiser, etc.. even to the point where medical professionals are now struggling to get supplies.

This strain of coronavirus has a higher than usual rate of pneumonia. In the elderly and immune compromised, this is a problem. I kind of agree that this is similar to a bad flu, but the reaction to this in China and amongst Chinese citizens in other countries would suggest that there is something a bit more sinister involved with this strain.

Taz2

« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2020, 07:28:38 AM »

Hi Taz how you doing?

Hi CLKD I'm fine thanks. Still can't get my head around the fact that when they talk about the Coronavirus being a risk to 'the elderly' they mean the over sixties! I find it difficult to see myself as elderly!   :-\

Hope you are well.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2020, 09:33:32 AM »

Hi Taz.  Many years ago I tried to get from AgeUK what 'elderly' actually means ........ there is no legal definition. Apparently.  It's a number?

yellowflower - I have friends who trade with China and I think they, like most Chinese and those on Hong Kong, feel that there are many cover-ups of issues that should be made public. 

Sparrow

« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2020, 11:45:23 AM »

I think we're probably considered elderlings over 60 but of course we're definitely not yet old - that doesn't happen until at least 80! I've noticed I'm getting offers of seats on buses and "are you OK to carry your tray" in restaurants more as years go by - and of course our grandkids already call us old  ::)

Oh yes, I've been offered seats on the Tube twice, and an offer to carry my tray to the table in Waterstones last week.  Don't know whether to be pleased or mad.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:54:34 AM by Shadyglade »

Sparrow

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2020, 01:12:00 PM »

Statistics now released confirm that the virus has a death rate of 1%, which is the same as a bog standard flu virus.

CLKD

« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2020, 01:28:34 PM »

A 4th person in the UK confirmed positive.  Doesn't explain if they had symptoms/not  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2020, 03:06:53 PM »

Coronavirus: Brighton GP practice closes after staff member tests positive

CLKD

« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2020, 03:48:45 PM »

.... a Practice in Brackley, Northants has closed part of the building due to 'an incident'  :-\. Clear as mud.  That!

Katejo

« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2020, 06:21:51 PM »

I think we're probably considered elderlings over 60 but of course we're definitely not yet old - that doesn't happen until at least 80! I've noticed I'm getting offers of seats on buses and "are you OK to carry your tray" in restaurants more as years go by - and of course our grandkids already call us old  ::)

Oh yes, I've been offered seats on the Tube twice, and an offer to carry my tray to the table in Waterstones last week.  Don't know whether to be pleased or mad.  ;D
I am often offered a seat on the tube during rush hour and I'm not yet 60. Nearly 57 so it doesn't seem that far away but not there yet. I don't accept the seats offered.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 179