Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 196600 times)

ElkWarning

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2020, 11:31:36 AM »

And now school children in Brighton are being put into isolation by Public Health England - so not panic, but medical advice.

And yes, CLKD, it looks like a gigantic cover up, to encourage people to shrug it off in order to protect an economy.  Pity it was downplayed so much in the beginning.  This wouldn't be happening now if that hadn't been the case.  I feel very sorry for those kids and their families and friends.

Information is trickling out, including by reputable scientists who work in our top infectious diseases units here in the UK, all confirming that the window to act (in terms of travel) has almost disappeared.  That whole ridiculous 'it's not as bad as SARs' thing has proved to be disasterous.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2020, 06:53:26 PM »

Pity that the headlines aren't honest!  Scaremongering.  Most. 

Today:

Coronavirus: Five Brits in French ski chalet catch virus - HOWEVER.  They live in France  :bang: ........ the wife is currently in the UK - the chap in Brighton had apparently visited these families in two chalets - all friends who live in France.  Now 2 schools will be closed for 2 weeks in the village as the child testing positive attends the school  ::).

I've spent an hour trying to find out the true story of this headline.   :-\. I've waded through up-dates as they arrived on the News streams to get to this point.  None are feeling ill but as they were in brief contact: don't know how brief brief might be : they were tested. 

Sparrow

« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2020, 06:56:39 PM »

Exactly.  A lot of people who get it have no symptoms at all.

Still not worried.

CLKD

« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2020, 07:00:45 PM »

Nor am I!

It's the scaremongering headlines:  Britons affected.  :-\  They are not living HERE ....... it does show how the virus is travelling though but the honeymooner taken off the cruise liner 'feels well'  ::)

yellowflower

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2020, 08:18:44 PM »

Nor am I!

It's the scaremongering headlines:  Britons affected.  :-\  They are not living HERE ....... it does show how the virus is travelling though but the honeymooner taken off the cruise liner 'feels well'  ::)

The cruiseliner in quarantine off the coast of Japan initially had 7 affected. In 3 days, that is now 64 affected. For every new  case, the quarantine period starts again. We are not being told the whole truth.

CLKD

« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2020, 08:50:52 PM »

It doesn't mean the people are showing symptoms other than a raised temperature but may be carriers.  Throat swabs?
Some on the cruise ship have been allowed to walk on deck.  With masks.  Not to engage with others.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 08:55:55 PM by CLKD »

sheila99

« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2020, 09:33:34 PM »

Probably spread by the air conditioning? I think the people from inside cabins are allowed on deck.

ElkWarning

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2020, 10:32:02 PM »

Exactly.  A lot of people who get it have no symptoms at all.

Still not worried.

Yes, they're called carriers.

Glad you're not worried. I presume there's cases where you live? Or do you mean you're completely unaffected and so not worried? Also presume you're living in a massively densely populated urban area?

Sparrow

« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2020, 10:38:29 PM »

Absolutely no cases where we live.

Live in a very small rural town in Kent

Not worried because I think the risk is small.

In a bad flu year in the UK there has been up to 13,000 deaths from bog standard flu. Why would I worry about this bug when we have had no deaths here?

CLKD

« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2020, 10:40:26 PM »

What worries me is that everyone who coughs and sneezes will dial 111  ::).  R we supposed to report 'flu-like symptoms, will Health England actually let the public know what to do in real time?

Sparrow

« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2020, 10:44:15 PM »

Exactly right.  There are other resporatray virus about.  It could end up as total chaos.

CLKD

« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2020, 10:54:29 PM »

Yet. It's 'flu season after all  ::)

yellowflower

« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2020, 12:04:48 AM »

The reason these strains of respiratory viruses cause more concern are because they jumped from animals to humans. The mutations that can occur are a cause for concern. It also has a high rate of pneumonia which was why doctors started trying to report it last year and were accused of "spreading rumors".

Sparrow

« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2020, 06:35:15 AM »

Sixty percent of all human pathogens orginate in animals species.  It's nothing unusual.

Would worrying help?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:18:28 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2020, 09:58:44 AM »

I saw.  I think that is done to keep the rest of the World 'happy' that the Chinese are 'doing something'.  I suspect that what ever is in the spray would do more damage if ingested?!?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 179