Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: should you always get a bleed with evorel sequi?  (Read 3087 times)

menomummy

should you always get a bleed with evorel sequi?
« on: January 22, 2020, 10:05:07 AM »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if when using evorel sequi you should always give a bleed after switching from the combined patches back to just the estrogen patches?

sheila99

Re: should you always get a bleed with evorel sequi?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 02:34:55 PM »

That's what's supposed to happen but it rarely did for me. Presumably you're in peri as you've been given sequi? My own cycle was stronger than the hrt one and wasn't in step so I bled at any time of the month.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 08:54:08 AM »

Hi menomummy

If you are post-menopausal or nearly so then the stats on this site say that 15% of women don't get a bleed on sequi HRT: "All the above cause a monthly bleed in 85% of patients ." https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

This happened to me. I was using standard 28 day cycle cyclical HRT ( separate oestrogen patches and progesterone from just under 54 when I was late peri. I got withdrawal bleeds for the first 2 or 3 years but then they tailed off to nothing. After that I went onto a longer cycle HRT because it was clear I didn't get any womb build up on the normal cycle.

Hurdity x

menomummy

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »

Thank you that is very helpful.   I have been on the patches for a few years, and my cycle has always been so strong that it was always out of sync with the patches, but suddenly I have had nothing but a few days of spotting for the last 3 months.  So perhaps I have switched from Peri to nearly post!   I guess I should stay on the cyclical patches for a while yet before switching to the non-cyclical.

Thank you both for your help and reassurance.

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 09:51:08 AM »

Hi menomummy, I'm one of those in the 15% Hurdity mentioned who currently doesn't get a bleed on sequi HRT.  I'm now 7+ years postmenopause, had BSO approx 2 years ago & on a low dose regimen with only 25mcg oestrogen patch, so likely any lining build-up is being effectively thinned by the low dose progestogen. 

Ironically, in earlier postmenopause, I bled intermittently throughout my 2+ years on "no-bleed" Evorel Conti & had to have several scans & eventually a hysteroscopy with biopsy as a result.  That just showed an atrophied uterus & the bleeding was thought to be a consequence.  Measurement of oestradiol later showed poor absorption from the Evorel. 

If your symptoms are well controlled on the Evorel Sequi so that you want to stick with it, you could have an endometrial scan to see what's going on.  I intend to do this as although I enjoy the lack of bleeds, I'm uneasy not knowing for sure what's going on.  As I'm still getting menopause symptoms, poor absorption, or the 25mcg Estradot simply being too low a dose could explain this & the absence of bleeds!  If your symptoms are not well controlled on the Evorel Sequi, poor absorption could perhaps be the reason for your lack of bleeds.

P.S. You were posting while I was writing this without knowing the bigger picture!  Hope there's still something helpful in it.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »

Thank you that is very helpful.   I have been on the patches for a few years, and my cycle has always been so strong that it was always out of sync with the patches, but suddenly I have had nothing but a few days of spotting for the last 3 months.  So perhaps I have switched from Peri to nearly post!   I guess I should stay on the cyclical patches for a while yet before switching to the non-cyclical.

Thank you both for your help and reassurance.

Yes that is the most likely explanation - that your natural cycle is now sporadic - though personally I would stay with cyclical HRT as you say, for a while yet, if you are otherwise happy on this regime and can get the patches!

Hurdity x

atalanta

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 07:30:44 AM »

After that I went onto a longer cycle HRT because it was clear I didn't get any womb build up on the normal cycle.

As soon as I went on to cyclical HRT during peri I stopped having bleeds and I've never had one since. I'm wondering what "longer cycle HRT is" and whether that would be suitable for me. It's never been mentioned by my GP.

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 01:29:19 PM »

Posting to remind myself to revisit this thread after my first full month of Evorel Sequi!