Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Yet another diet plan!  (Read 1839 times)

clio

Yet another diet plan!
« on: December 28, 2019, 09:21:19 PM »

Over the last 10 years I've put on about 6 stone going from a 10 to a 18-20, it gets me down and have tried many times to lose weight but there is always a problem and never managed to keep it up. Newyear though I'm determined to get down to a size 12. Anyone else starting a diet newyear?? Clio

Pennyfarthing

Re: Yet another diet plan!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »

Not a new one Clio, just carrying on with Slimming World.  i had lost 1st 10.5 lbs at best but am now at 1st 3.5.  That half stone went on very gradually and was not SW's fault. Mine for sneaking in unhealthy extras. back on it on 2 January.   ;)

There are many to choose from but I like SW because you don't need to count calories, you don't need to buy any special foods and they have over 40 years experience so know what they are talking about. 

I keep thinking about doing a few days on meal replacement drinks but I never manage it. i love my food too much!

There are many ladies at my group who have lost 5,6 and 7 stones and kept it off for several years.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 09:45:28 PM »

I don't do diets, but i am going to cut out rubbish during the week and up the exercise. When i did that before i lost about a llb a week, i just struggle with will power but my teen daughter is worried about me so need to do something.

littleminnie

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 08:50:25 AM »

Someone we know starts dieting in January.  They don't do dry January but cut out everything that contains chocolate for a month.  They lose about 8-10 lbs and that kick starts the diet. 

Foxylady

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »

I'm hoping to carry on my weight loss (almost 3stone) from last year. Yr ago jan started Fast 5:2 with my OH both of us have carried it on throughout the year & it has been great for us, don't feel like we are depriving ourselves. Usually do a Sun & Mon as my fast days but as it's my bday scrapping it this wk (first time over the year!) straight back to it next weekend. All the best to everyone thinking of starting a fresh, for me it's definately a mental mind set & I thought it was the only way I could maybe personally help alleviate some of my peri symptoms and reduce the risks associated with being overweight and starting HRT. I was 16 st 6 >:( x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »

I was 7st 1lb for over 30 years.  At my lowest: Cmas 1971: I went down to 5st 5lb. 

Exercise: despite what it says in the Press  >:( : is good for us in small amounts.  We are hunter gatherers.  So would graze to a certain extent on fruits whilst the men went after meat. I was 50 B4 I knew what it was like to feel hungry  :-\.  Now I eat B4 my body requires sustenance sticking to the same foods most of the while.

Maybe think about genetic input?  DH's maternal family tend to be on the large side = late onset diabetes.  Don't know about his Dad's side as there was many children from different marriages  ::).  So DH has to keep an eye on his weight and cuts out alcohol which soon drops off the pounds. 

He is currently batch cooking mince with veg. and a chicken curry to freeze in batches.  We rarely eat pudding but I don't say 'no' to a cake when out in the mornings.  We have a block of dark chocolate or dried fruits and nuts in the evening when hungry.

The danger for many is to grab something when hungry rather than thinking ahead to prepare foods: when are you likely to be really hungry ?  What do you snack on then?  I'm not a celery person but a friend keeps cut/washed carrots/celery/celeriac to hand to snack on .  Don't deny yourself and don't beat yourself up if you eat more than planned.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »

I can eat sweet things and DH cooks really healthy main meals.  Lots of veg..  Lots of lean chicken.  I don't touch alcohol.  He does.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 08:13:06 AM »

As my dog aged we slowed down together and I went up to slightly above 9st.  It took 14 months of daly walking with next door's pup to get down to 8.st.  I still ate chocolate  ;)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »

My friend has two adult daughters.  One has always been hefty and is a good size 18 -20 she takes after her mother's side of the family.    The other one is like a stick and takes after her father's side.  She eats like a horse but never gains weight and is a size 6-8.  When she was at school the teachers thought she was anorexic and contacted her parents! 

It's carried on to the next generation as well because the bigger daughter now has an adult daughter who is so big her grandma is worried for her. She is a student nurse so on her feet all day and walks miles.  The skinny daughter has two smaller kids who are so skinny they look like little waifs yet they all eat really well.

When they were growing up they ate no junk food at all as they have a smallholding plus an allotment and grow all their own stuff. my friend is a great cook so they lived on homegrown, healthy food. 

I have noticed that in later years many of my skinny friends have all gained weight around their middles and some on their thighs.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 11:18:40 AM »

I haven't gained weight but my apron dropped so I look fatter from above  :D

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 05:00:02 PM »

Hello ladies

My MIL joined many organised groups and was always on one diet or another. She would announce to everyone that she planned to loose  X amount of pounds in X amount of weeks but it never seemed to work out that way. When she did have some small success she would take hold of her top and say 'I've lost 3 pounds this week. Look at this it's hanging off me' implying that her clothes were now far too big for her. However she never looked any different  and quickly regained the lost  pounds.   It seems  that for some people the dieting industry only serves to keep them coming back for more without really addressing their problem with over eating.

Having said all that it is admirable that ladies are trying to improve their health by losing weight and I wish you all good luck with your diets.

Take care everyone.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 06:07:56 PM »

MinL weighed everything that she was going to eat in the evening.  Once that saucer was empty the following day that was it.  She repeated this regime with success for several years.  She lost weight and kept it off.