Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Medicine not helping my panic attacks right now  (Read 9956 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Medicine not helping my panic attacks right now
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2019, 07:25:11 PM »

:thankyou:  Ladybt28

If you don't ask you won't get: put it on a bit, tell the GP that you want a referral because you are reaching the end of your tether with symptoms.  No GP wants a record of suicide in his Practice ;-). 

Maybe keep a diary to chart progress/symptoms.  Ring Dr Newson's Clinic and ask if there is help for them?

Redlocks

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2019, 11:38:45 PM »

Happy New Year to all you wonderful supportive people!!  :bighug:
X

CLKD

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2020, 08:42:38 AM »

........ and breath.  ........... and eat  ;)

Redlocks

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »

Happy New Year CLKD!
I managed to have a lovely new year despite everything - hope you did too?
I've got a bit of an appetite and managed to get through yesterday without having a full on attack. Took half a 1mg lorazepam today as directed by psychiatrist (she said I could take up to two a day for max of two weeks while I level out) and it's knocked me out! I feel out of it so defo don't think I have built up a tolerance to them at this stage lol. Hopefully I won't need them for too long as I prefer feeling more ‘naturally' calm. At the moment I'm mainly flitting between extreme feelings of horror and panic, or just flat and uninterested, which is also horrible!
Not sure how to feel about seeing Dr Panay tomorrow, he's lovely but I don't know if he will be able to address my concerns :S
X

CLKD

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2020, 03:07:31 PM »

Take your list!

As for Lorazepam knocking you out: well if it was you would be sleeping.  Deeply.   ;). It takes ages to build up tolerance.  Something that has never happened to me in over 30 years as I know they work for me and how I react to them . 

Good Luck!

Redlocks

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »

Hehe, by knocked out in this instance I meant I felt like a zombie and rather dizzy. Thanks for sharing your experience with lorazepam, I know everyone reacts differently but it's interesting how doctors are reluctant to prescribe certain drugs and not others. They're happy to prescribe birth control pills but they're not without side effects - my friend said one of her mates developed seizures after trying a certain brand (can't remember the name). Apparently it took her two years to figure out what was causing them :S
X

CLKD

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2020, 06:06:52 PM »

Also people react differently even with the same drug.  After 'valium' for many years without problems, I found it made me feel really weird  ::)

Eat whilst you feel better too!  Stock up!

CLKD

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2020, 07:01:25 PM »

Don't know.  I swapped from Valium after years of 'as necessary' use to Lorazapam ..........

DH will mutter Take the Tablet, that's what it is for.   ::). He suffers from my anxiety too ..........  :-\

ElkWarning

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2020, 11:06:49 AM »

Shorter half life.  Lorazepam leaves the body quicker.

My daughter mentioned something to me the other day about breathing.  I'd never heard of it before.  The 4-7-8 technique.  According to my boss, who's a psychiatrist whose specialty is arousal (anxiety and more), the following article sums it up nicely - https://www.vitalheartandvein.com/blog/breathing-techniques-lower-blood-pressure/

Best

EK

CLKD

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2020, 11:38:01 AM »

Knowing that doesn't make any difference to the physicality which over-whelms me. 

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2020, 12:09:07 PM »

Hi Redlocks.

You know, it's no coincidence that you first started struggling with anxiety when you were 11. It would have been your puberty hormones gearing up. The very same happened to me - I was always a very upbeat child, but as I turned 10 I started struggling with random tearfulness, feelings of dread etcAnd then starts the draining, cyclical 'reproductive depression/anxiety' that blights so many women, and is often misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder.

But. It. Is. Your. Hormones.

Countrygirl

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2020, 04:23:50 PM »

The more posts I read about problems from puberty the more I realise I'm not the only one and I so wish I knew that many years ago as have always felt like the outsider and have missed out on so many experiences due to anxiety and mental health issues and the shame that came with it. The only time I felt great was whilst pregnant so I guess there was a clue it was hormones at play x

CLKD

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2020, 04:25:43 PM »

I have watched 'South Pacific' this afternoon.  I saw it aged 11.  With a loved Aunt and Mum.  At the Odeon, Bristol. I sobbed throughout  :'(

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2020, 06:58:46 PM »

Country girl - I feel the same as you. Looking back, hormones have caused me so much distress since I started puberty. I believe it runs in the family.

My Grandma and her sister both suddenly started 'suffering with their nerves' when they reached their forties. Her sister was so bad that she spent time in a psychiatric ward. Both miraculously recovered in their mid 50s.

My Mum suffered terribly with PMS. For 2 days a month she would cry endlessly.

You mentioned you only felt good when pregnant. That was one of the few questions Prof Studd asked when he diagnosed my reproductive anxiety/depression 'Did you feel good when pregnant?' (yes, I felt great, and very tranquil). He also correctly predicted that I had severe PND too. He said it's all linked to hormonal fluctuations, but most doctors and psychiatrists refuse to acknowledge the link.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »

Redlocks - how did it go with Nick Panay today? Thinking of you x
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6