Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Experiences of reflux medications  (Read 1808 times)

Bobidy

Experiences of reflux medications
« on: December 15, 2019, 09:57:47 PM »

Hi

I need to start reflux medication due to a hiatus hernia.

I know there are PPIS and H2 blockers. PPIS seem to have the worst long term problems.

I've had a read up of them and all sound awful to be honest!

Do any of you have long term experience of taking these meds and if so have you had any problems?  X

Bobidy

Re: Experiences of reflux medications
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »

Forgot to say I've been prescribed ranitidine, but it looks online like that has been recalled due to side effects!

If you are on PPIS do you have annual checks for b12 and magnesium levels?

Bobidy

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 04:30:41 PM »

Thanks ladies, I've collected my ranitidine today and will start tonight. I asked the pharmacist about them and she said it was just one American brand that had been recalled the prescription ones are fine.

I'm hoping they do the trick!

I've done a bit of reading about it and peri/meno definitely can cause or flare up acid reflux. Jeez, is there anything else we will suffer with!

I'm wondering if they will impair supplement absorption though, e.g. Vit d3, B vits and Omega 3 etc

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 05:20:35 PM »

omeprazole - I've taken this for 2 months and now have another month of twice daily.  Then 1 at night for a month and review.  Until then I was using 'rennies' as required, without reailising that I was needing them several nights a week and sometimes in the day.  DH was fed up with 'living in a TB Hospital' - due to the cough. 

I have had heartburn for years but it was the daily, irritating clearing-throat reflex that I needed to find out the cause of.  Chest X-ray clear.  It has gone mostly as has the back-ground reflux feeling.

This medication is essential initially but the body can have an adverse reaction if there is less than necessary acid.  Short term use is usually fine and does what it says on the tin  ;)

I U worry about impairing absorption, maybe ask your local Pharmacist? 

CrispyChick

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 06:41:46 PM »

I've been taking ranitidine for the past 8 months. I like it much better than lazaprazole. Feels more gentle. I have managed to wean myself down to a half dose.

There have unfortunately been issues with stock and supply. But I am managing to get it one way or another. I have had the gp prescribe higher dose and I'll cut in half etc.... Just stay savvy.

Bobidy

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 10:27:43 PM »

Thanks, yes apparently some brands of rani whatsit from America have been recalled but the prescription ones are ok. I got mine from Boots pharmacy.

I'm struggling a bit with them. I'm on 150 1 tablet a night. They set off ****ly nerve pain, joint pain and boob pain. I'm hoping this passes as it keeps me awake all night!

All meds seem to cause a reaction for me now for some reason. Very annoying.

These H2B are supposed to be kinder to the body though than PPIS but take a bit longer to work. I've only been on them a couple of days so no noticable different re acid yet. I've got a 2 month prescription

CrispyChick

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 11:01:48 AM »

I was on 300mg split accross two doses to start with. Took a while at first to work. Now I am on 150mg in the morn. Stomach feels good..... It's about the only bit of me that does 🙄.

I do know that over the counter zantac are the same - so if ever desperate for supplies, you can buy that, but maybe just in 75mg.

Bobidy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »

Aha, I on 150 at night. I wonder why the does are different?

CrispyChick

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 11:52:36 AM »

I was given the dose from a consultant after an endoscopy. But other consultant has since told me to wean off 🤷‍♀️. I'm happy on 150mg. Lots else going on. So one thing at a time.

If you don't find they help, then definitely ask to increase dose to begin with.

Bobidy

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 12:04:30 PM »

Thank you. Are you intending to take them indefinitely? I have a hiatus hernia which I've managed to control with diet etc but the meno / hrt does seem to have made it worse x

CrispyChick

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 12:25:31 PM »

No, I'm not. I'm trying to sort my hormonal stuff out first then I'll try reducing dose again. I'm also eating gluten free. Had endoscopy and I am not celiac, so I want to reintroduce gluten. But I feel I need to get my other issues sorted first.

So I suppose I will stay on ranitidine until I feel strong enough to try a reduced dose. Good luck x

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 06:21:34 PM »

Hello ladies

I'm not a reflux sufferer myself but I'm sure I read that fatty foods can make reflux worse  because they stay in the stomach a long time and put a strain on the valve at the top of the stomach causing acid to bubble up into the oesophagus. Not sure if the same applies to Hiatus Hernia though as this is a different condition.

Just thought I'd mention the above as it may be something to think about.

Take care everyone.

K.

Bobidy

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 07:33:45 PM »

Thank you, yes I did a diet overhaul ages ago and it does make a difference x