Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Planting trees and keeping them healthy  (Read 1325 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Planting trees and keeping them healthy
« on: November 28, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »

We have lots in our garden, cared for.  Apples; walnut; plum; crab apple; silver birch; rowan; holly; curly hazelnut; but the ones planted as part of the village plans for the new school have died  :-\ - I keep meaning to write to the Parish Council but so far  :-\.  Planted the Autumn B4 the very hot Summer of last year, 1 out of 10 has survived  :'(

So give me a  :kick: to remind me  ;D

Now Chris Packham is encouraging people to plant trees.  No problem with that but they need to be maintained and cared for. 

Do any of you have trees in your gardens or close by that you enjoy?

littleminnie

Re: Planting trees and keeping them healthy
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 01:01:50 PM »

We used to have an enormous oak tree but we had it cut down because the whole garden was in shade and nothing grew very well.  We used to spend hours gathering the leaves in the Autumn.  I'd have kept it if we had a large garden, but we haven't.

Two hoots

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 02:42:44 PM »

We have a native hedge at the end of the garden with oak, holly and hazel, they are the trees I can identify  :) because of the hedge we get lots of small birds in the garden because they can dive back if they get spooked. I think trees need lots of water when they are newly planted, so planting trees and leaving them is not an option if you want them to survive  ???
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:10:04 PM by Two hoots »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 02:54:12 PM »

That's true.  Which is why the trees near the new school here needed protecting.  Note to self: contact Parish Council  ::)