Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hiatus Hernia Help  (Read 5490 times)

Bobidy

Hiatus Hernia Help
« on: November 02, 2019, 12:40:58 PM »

Hi, as mentioned I'm currently in hiatus hernia / acid reflux / regurgitation hell.

I'm so frustrated as I'm so careful to keep it at bay.

I've got the bedhead up on blocks, stripped my diet right back, smaller portions etc. I'm using Gaviscon at night before bed.

What I've realised is that the breathing problems I put down to heavy period anemia were probably the hernia. Also I've been reading up and apparently the stomach then releases histermine hence the ****ly sensations I also used to have.

I'm so reluctant to start PPIS or H2 blockers as I'm pretty sure this causes magnesium and B12 deficiency.... more aches and pains / neuropathy stuff which I've mostly got rid of.

I'm just wondering how everyone else copes. Do you use PPIS or H2 blockers (which I understand have less side effects). Have you been able to just take them short term? Which brands do you take.

My hernia has slipped back down previously so I'm hoping it does that again. I've found an exercise to help with that.

To be honest it's a blow, I've just fully recovered post hysterectomy and was feeling great and ready to get back to work but now feel totally rubbish again. Sorry for the winge x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hiatus Hernia Help
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »

You whinge.  As much as you like.  Why not try PPIS for a short while, my GP has recommended 6 weeks initially.  To see if they help my reflux and irritating cough.

Bobidy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 02:32:46 PM »

Thanks for responding, yes I don't think I have a choice really but try them again, I have an appointment next week. I think the reflux bounce back is supposed to be worse with PPIS so I think I'll try the H2 blockers as they stop the histermine release too.

It's the regurgitation lump (sorry) that I can't stand it's so gross.

I am concerned about the damage done to my throat and lungs over the years with it all. Not sure if I could face an endoscopy again though. I had one 15 years again which confirmed the hernia without anesthetic / sedation and that was not a great experience.

Interestingly when I had some antibiotics a few months again it felt like I could breathe properly with full lungs for the first time in ages.

I feel like I've gone all moany and negative again when I was just starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel with hrt etc!!!!!

Thanks again x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »

Having been there I would say you do need to try PPIs again. The hernia will not resolve so you need to protect your oesophagus from your stomach acid as much as possible. The lining of the oesophagus is not like the stomach lining and cannot cope with being constantly washed in stomach acid. I suffered severe ulceration which took four months of 40mg Omeprazole to heal.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »

I think you are confusing the research Bobidy.  Sometimes if people are on Omeprazole for long periods it can cause a lack of acid which dries out the digestive tract.  But it won't be 'worse'.

Have you tried Rennies or Milk of Magnesia?

Bobidy

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 06:33:49 PM »

Thanks ladies. No I've only tried Gaviscon which usually works, but not this time it seems.

Taz, are you still on the medication? Do you have a hernia?

Apparently a lot of people have a hiatus hernia but have no symptoms. I was the same for ages. I know that I've been eating bigger portions and having passata etc so it's my own fault annoyingly. I shan't be making that mistake again!

I'm on the long road to trying to get it sorted again now, grrrr.

Foxylady

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 06:44:47 PM »

Bobidy, just wondering whether you have looked into probiotics at all re reflux, I know might has markedly improved on them although still taking Ranitadine twice a day and I have changed my diet (albeit long after introducing the probiotics). Might be worth considering. x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 01:03:49 AM »

Thanks ladies. No I've only tried Gaviscon which usually works, but not this time it seems.

Taz, are you still on the medication? Do you have a hernia?

Yes I'm on 20mg now and I have a hernia diagnosed by endoscopy. Though I worry about the risks of being on a PPI long-term I am also aware of the oesophageal cancer risk if the acid is in constant contact with the oesophagus. Dilemma!

Taz x  :-\

Bobidy

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 08:45:04 AM »

Thank everyone for your advice. Back to the doctors again, I should just rent a room there! X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 08:46:17 AM »

As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = hiatus hernia, very common at menopause.  It's about managing symptoms as it won't resolve because that muscle has lost it's - wait for it this early - elasticity  ;). Word of the day  ???

Taz - if PPI eases symptoms ........... if your body stops making enough what ever it is called  :-\   [? acid?]  rather than too much, there will be symptoms so that the amount of medication you take can be adjusted. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 11:02:19 PM by CLKD »

Tracey E

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »

Thank everyone for your advice. Back to the doctors again, I should just rent a room there! X

Hi, are you on any form of HRT?

Bobidy

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 10:20:55 PM »

Hi, yes I am on estrogel and Androfemme

Tracey E

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 10:55:56 PM »

Bobidy, this info might be useful..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2761884/

I've raised my bed at the back by 3 inches today so I'll see if it helps..

Bobidy

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 01:10:33 AM »

Hmmm that's a really interesting article showing what we've all been wondering for a while, whether hrt increases reflux etc

I so don't want PPIS but I'm going to have to. I'm really worried about b12 and magnesium deficiency though. I'm wondering if I take those supplements whilst on PPIS whether they will absorb?

Im also concerned about the rebound acid reflux after taking the PPIS.

Basically I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't I think!

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 07:40:20 AM »

Interesting article. I think your situation is different though bobidy as you have a hernia so with or without HRT you would still have some problem with reflux?

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2