Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anyone else need to sleep after exercise/going to the gym?  (Read 1340 times)

Focus

Anyone else need to sleep after exercise/going to the gym?
« on: October 29, 2019, 02:49:06 PM »

When I started going to the gym a few years ago I could never understand why I got so darn cold afterwards. Like, really, really cold from the inside out.

And the only way to deal with it would be to come home and either have a hot bath and go to bed, or just got to bed straight away.

I was also confused because everything I read said not to exercise last thing at night as it would mean that you wouldn't be able to sleep properly that night.. But for me, as an insomniac, it was the most restorative sleep I could get - right after exercising. And I would never have trouble actually falling asleep either.

People that I asked said my body would get used to the exercise and I would stop feeling like that at some point and be energised for the day my it.

But a few years on and I still always have to do this, even if it's just to sleep for an hour. I went to the gym this morning. Didn't go flat out, just a moderate run on the treadmill, some sit ups, stretches.... Came home, lunch, sleep.

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Anyone else need to sleep after exercise/going to the gym?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 12:44:48 PM »

Hi.
I think it's just your body recovering from the exercise Focus.
When I used to go to the gym, which was many years ago now, ( which I still miss) when I'd get home, I'd be sooo tired, sometimes I'd nap, but because my kids were younger back then, mostly I couldn't go to sleep, so after a rest, I'd carry on...had too.
Even tho you say your only doing a steady workout, it's still exercise, and it's your body telling you to relax and recover...I think the more you do, as you go on, your body will get more used to it, but saying that, I've known people sleep for a couple hours after their workout.
The feeling of coldness is I'm assuming, that it's your core temperature cooling you down.
Which is good isn't it? You don't want to over heat...just make sure you drink plenty water as you go..xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »

If you are worried ask someone at the Gym  :-\

Feeling cold is probably sweat cooling the outer body.  Sleep is natural after exercise, we are designed to hunt/gather: so bursts of speed, rest, cook what we have caught ;-)

Focus

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 08:59:58 AM »

Thank you!

I've been going for a good few years now, and still have to sleep after I get home : o)

It's a different sort of cold than sweat getting cold on the outside of my body. It's like cold from the core of my being, like I have a freezer inside my sternum.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 09:28:17 AM »

An anomoly?  Exercise is supposedly good for us but when I see the injuries that sports people get  :o  >:( I do wonder  ;).  I'm careful when getting out of bed but I slipped yesterday when carrying wood  :-\ - I was about to kneel down and didn't apparently it was funny but Himself didn't laugh  :-*

Is it good quality sleep? 

Focus

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 06:18:06 PM »

Yeah, it's the best quality sleep I ever have. It feels really restorative.

Yup, had everything checked when they were doing blood tests for low iron last year. All normal, except for iron levels.

It just must be part of the way I function. I think that's why I like exercising last thing at night. I just go home, have a hot bath, unwind a bit and then bed.

The only thing I could do without feeling the need to sleep is a short run outside in the morning (and I mean short).

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 06:29:13 PM »

Normal for you then?  Enjoy that sleep!