Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anybody tried raising the bed head for reflux?  (Read 3397 times)

Bobidy

Has anybody tried raising the bed head for reflux?
« on: October 26, 2019, 12:00:51 AM »

I'm just wondering if anybody has tried raising the bedhead to help with refux?

I usually use pillows but always end up slipping down.

I know you can get blocks or use bricks under the top legs. Do you then need to put something under the middle legs to stabilise the bed?

Has this helped at all?

Thanks x

Taz2

Re: Has anybody tried raising the bed head for reflux?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 12:08:39 AM »

Are you taking any prescribed medication?

Taz x  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »

Dad had to raise the legs at the end of the bed but I never found out why?

I have to sit up if I have indigestion or reflux.  Why not try and see what happens, if more pillows help?

Bobidy

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 03:33:27 PM »

Thanks all, I had medication ages ago but I got really anemic whilst on it, when I came off it the rebound reflux was even worse. I can usually keep it under control but it's flared up and I'm so breathless with it which is awful, I'm almost gasping for breath. I thought I'd try raising the head of the bed.

Does the wedge sit under the mattress?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 03:34:24 PM »

Get some bricks under the legs of the bed?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »

Thanks all, I had medication ages ago but I got really anemic whilst on it, when I came off it the rebound reflux was even worse. I can usually keep it under control but it's flared up and I'm so breathless with it which is awful, I'm almost gasping for breath. I thought I'd try raising the head of the bed.

Does the wedge sit under the mattress?

If your symptoms have returned then I really think you need medical advice especially as you are breathless. You need a proper diagnosis. In the meantime you need to sleep as upright as possible on a number of pillows. Do you wake up choking on the acid? I hated that before my hiatus hernia diagnosis.

Taz x  :hug:

Bobidy

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 07:34:10 PM »

Thanks ladies, yes I'm going to get back to the drs I think. To be honest I've been there about this problem quite a few times and they didn't seem too bothered. I had antibiotics a while back for something else and after that the breathing seemed to get better but it's gone back again.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 08:06:37 PM »

Could you be anaemic again? This can make you breathless.

Taz x

coldlittleheart

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 08:40:17 PM »

We have blocks under the legs of the head of the bed and it's not really made any difference.

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 10:19:13 PM »

I'm just wondering if anybody has tried raising the bedhead to help with refux?

I usually use pillows but always end up slipping down.

I know you can get blocks or use bricks under the top legs. Do you then need to put something under the middle legs to stabilise the bed?

Has this helped at all?

Thanks x

I played golf with a guy Thursday who said he put bricks under the head end of the bed to stop his wife's reflux and it worked x

Tc

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 10:40:22 AM »

Bobidy. I think it's a good idea. I got up to  4 pillows and that just makes your neck ache. !

I sympathise. It's so painful plus its,not good for your throat. Being a singer by trade I absolutely have to stop the acid  with meds which is unfortunate as like you Ive had issues with omprazole. It works like a dream to prevent reflux but It caused IBS,  the gasteologist said it is notorious for it  and I'm constantly getting b12 and folate deficiency . I'm sure my hair sheding is connected to it too.  When trying to stop, .the rebound is horrendous and doesnt settle over time either.

Let us know how you get on with It. It has to be more comfortable than the pillow  mountain!!!

Bobidy

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 05:22:22 PM »

Will do, there are some recessed blocks to put under the legs which look stable so I think I'll get them.

Did you get folate deficiency through reflux? If so that is interesting because I feel like I did when I was anemic with heavy periods pre hysterectomy.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 05:49:56 PM »

I'm retraining and at a recent lecture we were told that that raising the bed was one of the a strategies to us for people with reflux. Other suggestions included, reducing /avoiding alcohol and carbonated drinks and avoiding spicy foods.

Tc

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 05:58:54 PM »

Bobiddy.  It's not the reflux itself.  It's the omprazole lowers my  b12 , folic acid and iron.  I think that's why I can link the onset of my hair loss to starting the omprazole. It can lower magnesium too. Xx

Bobidy

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »

Aha, yes, that's what happened to me the mefalonic acid and iron tablets caused the reflux, then the omprazole made me severely anemic etc! Plus the rebound acid afterwards.

Thanks again x
Pages: [1] 2