Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Essex 39  (Read 2633 times)

Sparrow

Essex 39
« on: October 23, 2019, 12:10:02 PM »

Terrible news from Grays, Essex.  :'( >:(

That criminal gangs can exploit people that are so desperate is beyond forgiveness.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Essex 39
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »

Awful.

However.  Surely everyone in the World knows the dangers however badly they want to get to England.   Not many are illiterate  :-\

How much will this cost the British Public: post mortums x 39, finding relatives, repatriation. 

Did the driver know?  This is what happens when we have 'open' borders  >:(

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 03:03:22 PM »

Awful.

However.  Surely everyone in the World knows the dangers however badly they jwant to get to England.   Not many are illiterate  :-\

How much will this cost the British Public: post mortums x 39, finding relatives, repatriation. 

Did the driver know?  This is what happens when we have 'open' borders  >:(

39 people died in truly horrible circumstances.  Personally I don't give a toss how much it costs to deal with, I just wish it hadn't happened.

If you are being bombed and people are being killed all around you, you take a chance. Or if you are being pursicuted, you take a chance.  I can't judge their reasons, because I don't know them, but they must have been pretty desperate.

As for borders, what difference will it make. Apparently  ::) all paperwork will be done before hand so vehicles can go straight through.  But who really knows as it's a total mess.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 03:45:49 PM »

Years ago when we travelled abroad most vehicles were checked.  Now we have more sophisticated methods including sniffer dogs and thermal cameras.  It will probably be that the lorry came through Ireland across the Holyhead via France.

It will be interesting to see if the deceased are from Bulgaria .........

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 03:59:53 PM »

BBC News this afternoon:

The completion of a fence on the Bulgaria-Turkey border has seen people adopting different methods to get into Europe, according to the BBC's Eastern European correspondent Nick Thorpe.

"Most asylum seekers trying to reach Western Europe do so hidden in trucks," he says.

"One part of the smugglers' network hands them on to others. They are then kept in 'safe' houses in Bulgaria, usually close to the Serbian or Romanian borders, to be put into new trucks bound for Western Europe.

"Since 2016, there have been fewer and fewer ways to enter Western Europe legally - hence the desperation of those on the road."

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 07:41:02 AM »

Always dreadful people ready to take advantage of the desperate and vulnerable.I would hope the "British public" show only compassion.

I agree Teresa👍

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »

I hope that this has a conclusion.  These traffickers don't think of consequences: i.e. grieving families, the essential services haveint to clear up, DNA having to be collected etc..  I look at every closed container on the road and wonder  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 02:35:18 PM »

The identities of 39 people found dead in a refrigerated lorry have all been formally identified, police said.

Essex Police had been working with Vietnamese officials to identify the 31 men and eight women found dead in Grays, Essex, on 23 October.

A series of files have been handed to Essex senior coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray.