Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anyone fancy a different lunch?  (Read 2329 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Anyone fancy a different lunch?
« on: October 04, 2019, 12:03:13 PM »

More than 500 snails have been re-homed as part of a £40m bypass project.

The molluscs have been moved from the land at Little Hadham, in Hertfordshire, where the A120 bypass is being constructed.  The 3.9km road will run north of the village from Bishop's Stortford to the Tile Kiln roundabout.

Hertfordshire County Council confirmed it had moved the protected snails from the path of the bypass to a new home "nearby".
A council spokesman said: "They're a protected species so we have to make sure we move them to a suitable new habitat."

The slimy creatures are Roman snails, Helix pomatia, which are a common species of edible land snail.

sheila99

Re: Anyone fancy a different lunch?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 12:52:20 PM »

I'd like them better if they weren't carriers for the liver fluke parasite (not to eat though, only tried them once, chewy and tastless apart from the copious quantity of garlic which I dislike anyway).

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »

If they came over with the Romans - they are not indigenous.  The Law states that only indigenous plants and animals may be released back into the wild so how does that work? Also, various rescue centres have a special dispensation to release grey squirrels  :-\

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 08:15:32 PM »

And the thought of eating a snail isn't enough to out you off !!! 🤮

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 08:19:52 PM »

But how many of you eat shell fish ....... as a child I enjoyed hot cockles, muscles, winkles, whelks ..... can't face them these days  ;D

Snails have to be bred specifically to keep them clean.  We would collect cockles and leave them steeping in cold water with lots of flour so that they would clean the guts ready for cooking the next day.  Several changes of cold water and left overnight. 

I love garlic, think I will miss the snails  :D

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 08:29:36 PM »

Don't eat shell fish, either.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 08:48:54 PM »

And it seems snails like marmite. Left the jar on the kitchen table and just found a bl**dy snail on it 🐌. How the f did it get there?   :rant:

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 08:58:33 PM »

It must've smelt it, Sheila...😂.

I used to eat cockles.  🤢🤮 ...not anymore, it was my moms fault! 😆

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 08:59:35 PM »

I'd like them better if they weren't carriers for the liver fluke parasite (not to eat though, only tried them once, chewy and tastless apart from the copious quantity of garlic which I dislike anyway).

Fortunately the edible snails are not hosts for the liver fluke parasite so not risk from eating them (provided you eat the right species that is!!)

Here is the list of host snails:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciola_hepatica

.. and the edible snails - mainly Helix sp but a couple of others:

https://www.snail-world.com/snails-as-food/

Was on hol in the summer and ate some dog whelks which were horrible and chewy - but I love mussels, oysters (raw), prawns, langoustines, crab, lobster, cockles and clams (collected ourselves) etc. I imagine snails to be like the dog whelks. Don't fancy them at all - somehow sea shellfish are more appealing...

Hurdity x

Btw - how is this an event on the calendar? Surely a "This and That" topic - I nearly missed it as rarely look at Birthdays and events!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 07:33:23 AM »

It's a news item Hurdity.  Picked  ;) from a headline that I was reading  ;D

Whelks are chewy  :-X .......... can't fancy oysters anyhow.  Apparently scallops are nice but we don't have a fresh fish shop locally.