Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Urethra area feels uncomfortable  (Read 2098 times)

Mummytron

Urethra area feels uncomfortable
« on: September 22, 2019, 06:30:19 PM »

Hi
Can anyone offer any advice please?
My urethra area feels uncomfortable, not painful or itchy just weird. I dis a urine sample which showed a small amount of blood and white cells but not enough for antibiotics. Was given over the counter cystitis relief and it went. Next urine test was fine but now the feeling is back. Nurse said it could be hormonal? Does this sound similar?

Joaniepat

Re: Urethra area feels uncomfortable
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 07:39:10 PM »

Hi
Can anyone offer any advice please?
My urethra area feels uncomfortable, not painful or itchy just weird. I dis a urine sample which showed a small amount of blood and white cells but not enough for antibiotics. Was given over the counter cystitis relief and it went. Next urine test was fine but now the feeling is back. Nurse said it could be hormonal? Does this sound similar?
Could be due to VA, for which the correct name is genitourinary syndrome of menopause (GSM). It is due to depletion of oestrogen in these areas. There are a lot of oestrogen receptors in the lower urinary tract. Even if on systemic HRT you can still get GSM, which will need targeted treatment. I suggest you ask for a prescription for local oestrogen such as Vagifem or Ovestin. There are loads of threads on the forum about VA, and plenty of advice to be had as well, so have a browse.

JP x

Mummytron

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:17:12 PM »

Thanks for replying. I'm 43 and in perimenopause. Does it usually happen this early or is it a symptom of menopause?

Sally S

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 08:22:06 PM »

I have had this too, Mummytron!!!  I was on holiday and when I went to bed one night I had a feeling of cystitis coming on.  I left it for five days then called Dr when I was home and he prescribed three days of antibiotics. The burning sensation at the end of the wee disappeared but three weeks later I asked for more antibiotics as I was having the sensation of needing a wee just after I'd had one but there was no burning/stinging sensation. I finished these antibiotics but I sometimes still get a sensation of fullness, feeling jiggly like I need a wee but this is not all the time or everyday! I have no idea why this is happening. I have no issues with dryness down below. Like you said, there's no pain it just sometimes feels a bit like I need to wee, but other times it's fine!? I did lots of cycling on holiday and when I googled this it said your urethra can be irritated/inflamed so I wondered whether this could have been the cause!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:31:14 PM by Sally S »

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 08:28:02 PM »

Yes, I  believe so. I belong to a vaginal atrophy facebook group and there are certainly some 'youngsters' on there! I think it can occur at any time once oestrogen starts to decline. It can even occur during breastfeeding.

JP x

Mummytron

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 08:40:07 PM »

Thanks both
It's a really strange feeling. Not pain, not burning but I guess like a very dull stinging. I've been peri for 4 years and have palpitations, hot flushes, insomnia and headaches but never anything down there. This is a new one and not one I like!

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 08:45:04 PM »

Sally S, I had exactly the same thing when I started getting symptoms of VA, although did have vulval soreness too, and later had real cystitis as opposed to those false urges. I've been treating the VA for ages now and the urethral symptoms have gone, although it did take a while. However, I would imagine I was further down the line than you and Mummytron. The possibility (probability?) of VA is something to be aware of though, as forewarned is forearmed.

JP x

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 08:47:13 PM »

Mummytron....  Yes that is quite a common complaint with VA.  I only found out I had GSM was after 3 cases of UTI's.  Then, oh boy....  My dr. mentioned that first signs of GSM was thinning of bladder/urethra which, in turn, causes UTI and UTI symtoms.  As the other ladies mentioned you might want to discuss topical hormone treatments such as Vagifem and estrogen cream.  Good luck.

Sally S

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 08:54:47 PM »

Thank you for info, Joaniepat!  I never associated it with low oestrogen levels.  I am only 44 and have regular periods but that have changed.  Do you need to take progesterone with Vagifem if it's oestrogen only cream? Does it raise BC risk or is it too low a dosage?

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 09:13:11 PM »

Sally S, you don't need progesterone with local oestrogen treatments, and there is no risk of BC or anything else. It is very, very low dose, and there wouldn't be systemic absorption. It's just a targeted treatment for the problem area.

JP x

Sally S

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 09:29:47 PM »

Thank you, Joaniepat!  If this continues I'll give this a go.  :)

Mummytron

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 02:42:41 PM »

Thanks all.
Everything I've read seems to point and post menopause and I'm 4 years into peri. Both mum and sister had early meno. I'm 43 and not far off when they had theirs. I'm off to the doctor in a mo so will see what they say.

Mummytron

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »

GP said no sign of infection but wants a first thing in the morning wee tomorrow. Told me to get a thrush treatment and if that doesn't help she will give me vagifem.

Joaniepat

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 05:21:32 PM »

I suppose that's progress of a sort, at least they didn't say no to Vagifem. Wondering why the thrush treatment was suggested though. Do you have symptoms?

JP x

Mummytron

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »

Think shes trying to rule things out. I dont have any thrush symptoms alart from this uncomfortable feeling, like a dull buzzing. But she said that it doesn't always present  with discharge so best to try it.