Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't stop eating  (Read 2697 times)

discokaren

Can't stop eating
« on: September 03, 2019, 05:51:22 PM »

Anyone else, I never seem to be full and always in the fridge. Sweet things mainly which I never ate before x

Karen max

Re: Can't stop eating
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 09:29:18 PM »

Hi
Yes I was the same at the start of post menopause but after about 6 months it stopped
I never eat sweet food before menopause

Kaz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 09:45:57 PM »

Thyroid can make one eat a lot ..........

Also, make a list of what you actually ingest.  Is there enough bulk in the diet?  A good mix of protein and carbohydrates is important.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 07:22:35 AM »

Hi Karen, I remember when I'd pmt, I always craved sweet things and I'm not a sweet toothed person at all,so I guess hormones have a lot to answer for.If you got to the free from aisle in Tesco they do these rice crackers which have a layer of chocolate on top,they're actually not that fattening and fill you up,I have one every morning and I'm good til lunchtime

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 08:16:32 AM »

Try reducing the amount of starchy carbs in your diet generally.  They do actually increase the appetite as although they fill you up initially you then get a sudden drop in energy and hunger spikes.

Since reducing myself (to between a third and a half of what is recommended), my appetite has reduced, as has my graving for sweet food and I have lost a stone in weight.

Win, win. :)

Jari

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 08:36:34 AM »

Agree it's related a lot to hormones. I remember the same just before period I used to crave sweet things.
Good point Shady re starchy carbs. I'm a bit of a pasta lover, but need to reduce that really, as trying to shift some weight at the mo.
When I started on hrt, (increasing hormones) I had the same, couldn't stop eating. Very noticeable and put on a stone in two months. Since coming off it, I don't have the same appetite. X

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »

Hello ladies.

Years ago when I was researching dietary ways to improve my Ulcerative Colitis I read about the distinction between complex carbs and simple carbs.  Of the two, complex are healthier obviously but scientists had noted that humans have five enzymes in our saliva to digest starch from plants whereas our nearest relatives, the Great Apes only have two. There were other observations about dentition and length of intestines etc but  the conclusion was that we are designed to consume carbs as our main source of energy.

I eat complex carbs daily and haven't had an issue with weight gain or bloating etc but  other people may have different experiences. I am also ravenously hungry at times and eat a lot more but my weight has so far stayed constant.

As we say on the forum, we are all different but I thought I would mention the above as eating this way has worked for me

Wish you well ladies.

K.

Sparrow

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 02:00:16 PM »

Not sure about being designed to eat carbs as our main source of energy Kathleen.  Man did not begin farming until 12 thousand years ago. 

Also, from what I remember from the BBC programme 'The Truth About Carbs', carbs affect people differently.  Some can eat any and everything and not put on weight, but for others it's the opposite.

It's a question of what suits the individual.  However I can understand that if you are a vegetarian or vegan it must make things more complex.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:02:25 PM by Shadyglade »

Jari

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 02:24:08 PM »

I do love carbs, vegetables, rice, pasta, pulses etc.

My main problem with weight gain is when I eat too much.
Especially cakes, biscuits, bread, crisps types of carbs. Just not buying them anymore, as if I have them at home, they're gone.. ;)

As usual it's all about balance.. I love bread, but if I buy a loaf, it won't last long. I wish I could be more disciplined and stick to a slice here or there.. x

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Shadyglade  - As I recall the scientists were looking at human biology when we left Africa so before farming.  They suggested we were predominantly gatherers and only occasionally hunters.  It's interesting to think that although we can digest meat, dairy and all manner of processed food, optimal health can only be achieved if we stick to the correct fuel for our physiology.  I think this is fairly new science but definitely food for thought. See what I did there lol.

Jari - Another problem with cakes and biscuits etc is that they are full of fat and sugar. I was a crisp addict but stopped buying them when I realised the oil was a problem. My husband still insists on eating biscuits unfortunately but you can't win em all!.

Take care ladies.

L.

Jari

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 04:05:35 PM »

I've discovered a healthy option for biscuit replacement. :)

Again... if I don't go overboard..

A pack of dates, simmered in water, add cinnamon. Mash when soft to make a puree.. add oats, chopped walnuts, cocoa nibs, ground flaxseeds, sunflower seeds... ( really anything you like, different nuts, seeds etc. )
Smooth out onto a baking sheet, bake, cool and store in fridge after cutting into bite size pieces. ;)

Focus

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »

...I was a crisp addict but stopped buying them when I realised the oil was a problem...

I'd go savoury over sweet, any day. I love crisps...especially the really salty ones!

Anyway, I'll have the odd bag, once a week or so, and always one of the baked varieties.

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 05:07:43 PM »

Oh I love my crisps, I now only buy the little single packets as at the weekend,if I bought a big bag, I just wouldn't stop,had to put an end to that 🙄

discokaren

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 05:22:39 PM »

Thank you ladies,,,,,,,,, blooming hormones xx

jaypo

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 05:50:21 PM »

Blooming is one of the words I'd use  ;D
Pages: [1] 2