Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Meno, work and HRT  (Read 1128 times)

Callisto

Meno, work and HRT
« on: August 31, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »

To focus upon work and the effect that menopause has on our professional lives-
 I don't know if anyone ever has needed to be off sick with symptoms, exhaustion, 'nervous breakdown', inability to function adequately.
I am on a zero hour contract,  so I have no chance of getting any dispensation other than just been given less work than I already have, there are many days that suffering from  exhaustion, being insomniac, my brain not working as well anymore, lack of energy levells and feeling weak, I am definitely reduced. I feel I'm often floating by the seat of my pants, getting away with it somehow. I know I am not able to do my job as well as I could before. A thing that makes it marginally better is taking HRT, if I do not get HRT then I am likely going to be unable to work thereby cost the country a lot more money, propel me into penury, depression and possible many other health risks greater than the small rise in risk related to progesterone and breast cancer. I'm 51 so expected to work for many years yet.

Sorry this is probably not very well worded but just want to get this out and see what other peoples experiences are of trying to hold down a job.
Thanks to Orrla for raising the work subject.
🐾C

orrla

Re: Meno, work and HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »

Brilliant point Callisto, about cost to the state of not helping women to stay at the labour market!

Such a bad, economically, move!

But, we live in all for men, women not important world that it will take ages still for various deciding bodies to catch up!

In a meantime, more and more women need to work for their living!

Without necessary adjustments, and changes in attitudes, too many women will end up in poverty, dependent on others or the state.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:37:50 PM by orrla »

Marie62

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »

I'm single so if I don't work there's nobody else to help pay the bills. In my previous job I've had to take about 6 weeks in total off work due to depression and anxiety but luckily a few of these weeks coincided with holidays. My boss was quite understanding about it and once I changed to a HRT that worked I was fine.
I'm now in a different job and have changed to another HRT and I'm worried how they'll be if I have to take time off due to side effects, I'm feeling ok so far but I know only too well things can change.
Ideally I'd like to come off HRT altogether to see how my own hormones are but I feel I can't because if all the side effects come back I'm going to struggle with work.
I've got 10 years left until I retire thanks to the government for raising the retirement age NOT! and I don't have a private pension.
My job is quite physical and I'm on my feet all day I can't see me being fit enough to carry on doing it until I'm 67 so am looking for something else.
The young women I work with think menopause is a few hot flushes for a year or two and the older ones have seemingly sailed through it and look at me oddly when I tell them how much I suffered from depression and anxiety at the start.
As I've said I'm ok just now and shall carry on but there's always the worry symptoms will return and with the HRT shortages who knows what will happen.
My work has an occupational health department so maybe they could help if needed.

orrla

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 01:39:37 PM »

Hi Ginny 62, I am with you!

..maybe it could be a good idea to go to this department now and tell them about your concerns..? It could give them opportunity to educate themselves on Meno and press for policies..?

Just a thought!

Hang on there! Best!

orrla

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 01:57:02 PM »

And, by the way, I think that if I coul spend my Meno in hammock under palm tree on some island with mild climate with a fan in one hand and drink in other, I would not need any HRT , but I couldn't. As most women can't!

I was perfectly capable of doing my job, as most of it was on a computer anyway, but I couldn't cope with an environment. Mostly male, required self-presentation, agile state of mind. All turned out Impossible!

My brain worked ok, as somehow I managed to do full time studies at Uni that resulted in Masters degree with Merit.  I did it because it was helping me to cope with my Meno. But at Uni no one cared how I looked!

So, I really dislike that too often listed as one of Meno symptoms inability to work.

Environments must be adjusted, is my point.

EleanorB

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 02:11:03 PM »

Hi,

Menopause pretty much blew up my work life. At the point where it started in peri (2 years into meno now at 51) I was affected but not drastically. I was studying evenings for a new profession whilst doing a high pressure freelance job writing television. A few months before graduating things went to hell symptom wise and I stopped working and managed to graduate my course. I now have a much less high pressure profession, at the moment I do 2 freelance hours a week living very very frugally off that and savings. They will run out so the pressure is on to work more as I am single and solo income. I am due an operation mid September to remove a polyp from my uterus, have to start progesterone ( have been On oestrogen only hrt but not allowed it anymore) and know the opp, progesterone and menopausal migraine issues could upset the apple cart again. It's awful as I can't catch a break and get any health stability. For me the cognitive impact was and to a lesser degree still is awful, brain fog, memory issues, depression. I have quite simply become a different person. At one time in my job in television I worked a six and a half day week for four months as a writer and executive on a tv show. At the worst of my meno I struggled to focus some days for an hour or two on any work without becoming befuddled and overwhelmed. I have the added problem of a long term migraine condition made 5 times worse with meno, but the descriptions I hear from others of being radically altered chime with me. Hrt has helped but it's no miracle cure although it has made things possible that wouldn't have been 7 months ago when I started.

In short, financially I have taken a huge hit and live like a church mouse. My ability to earn is a constant worry and I am just hugely thankful that I made the decision to retrain before meno hit as I have a fighting chance of earning a living. I got out of screenwriting as it was so pressured and stressful, but ironically I would have been forced to stop anyway as the idea of working all hours to tight immovable deadlines is laughable now. Sorry I have nothing helpful to offer re advice, other than if you are struggling is part time possible with cut backs in financial outgoings. Maybe your job, if made aware of meno, could accommodate you. Workplaces should be as aware and accommodating about this as they would be about other disabling conditions. I think the fact there is more in the press about this now should help.

orrla

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 03:03:32 PM »

Same here. Had to downsize, cut costs - all while with comparable to post partum symptoms.

Now in a new environment, tight with monies, find hard to find myself.

Most family and friends abandoned me, for, apparently, I was very unpleasant they claim.

Really?!!

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »

Hi Callisto. I had to give up my high pressured, well paid job at the age of 56 after 4 years of increasingly debilitating symptoms. It involved a lot of travelling, presentations and I just couldn't cope with it. Despite several periods off work due to my symptoms and the fact that I worked for a FTSE 100/company, no allowances were made apart from lip service. I had to throw in the towel, I just couldn't cope but part of this was down to GP prescribed HRT regimes that made me increasingly unwell. Fortunately, I've been lucky enough to have a lovely supportive husband who's been able to support me financially and emotionally. Otherwise, I don't know where I'd be.
I'm really sad when I think of how many women out there manage to cope without support.  :bighug:

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »

Ladies, I'm at that point myself. Decision time.
I am single, 47 and have 20 years of work ahead of me, supposedly.
I work in Legal for a Tech company. So male dominated, young, fast moving etc etc.
I started a new job in October last year (after being made redundant, realising I was burnt out, and taking a year off).  3 months later, in Jan this year, I had one ovary removed. The biggest regret of my life, so far.
I broke in March, I think it was, and took 4 weeks off sick. Am back working from home, but am not really achieving anything on a day to day basis.
Am wracked with guilt over my lack of performance. My male boss (in the USA) is very understanding, but it is a constant worry that his patience will run out.
If I were to quit, I don't know what I would do. I don't think I would ever do this type of job again. So career over.
And apart from the financial side of things, my career is such a big part of who I am.  :-\

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 09:25:26 PM »

Pants  :foryou: :bighug:

orrla

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 09:52:14 PM »

Pants! You are 47... and no one ever said that you must go through hell! 

Our World is adjusting, however slowly.

Good thing is that we women do make a noise, in protest, instead of suffering in silence, as previous generation had to, believing that such is our role.

By the time you'll get to 52 or 3, time will pass, and who knows what miracles be invented by that time!

Get your finances in order, plan, go for regular check ups, and never neglect youself! Externally and internally!

You'll be fine!

Big hug!  :-*
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:56:45 PM by orrla »

Callisto

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 11:05:18 AM »

Dear all,
I'm saddened and horrified to discover how meno has catastrophically affected women's careers.
  I wonder if one of the reasons women do not talk about it is that they do not want to risk marginalisation or redefinition as a 'past it'. My job ( is part of who I am) and also I can't afford to stop with an uncertain future ahead (I wouldn't mind lolling around with wildflowers but not an option I have). For those of us who don't have children there is not only the small-keen for what will never be but also the very practical reality that there will be no future generation looking out for us in our old-age.
I have hardly been able to read a book for years, this does not help as I need to research subjects and my brain just cannot retain new information. It seems to have become the opposite of a sponge directly repelling memory. Reading has always been one of my great loves, comforts and enrichments. Cognitively I have diminished and I'm trying my best to compete with bright young things where every two years we have to reapply for our jobs. 
My heart goes out to all.

🐾C
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 11:06:52 AM by Callisto »

orrla

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 11:37:03 AM »

Hang on there Callisto!

I am 64 now and pass most jazz with Meno, having to deal with consequences. I did not dream of being where I am so it is easy to see it as failure. But then, when I look back, I can see how many hoops an barriers I had to jump, and it makes me mad that our world is so badly organised.

If it was men who get Meno, not women, all these CEOs and mangers who now so easily get rid of us at our prime, would have their offices organised accordingly, and take breaks when needed, and temperatures adjusted, and comfortable settings, dressed in comfortable clothes, slippers on on their swollen feet, with ladies quietly running around them with fans and trays with tasty treats, speaking to them in sweet voices.

They would never have to show up at office after sleeples sweaty night, and no one would time their appearances ....etc.

Or take part in these idiotic office do's while heavily bleeding!

No one would give them that funny look, and talk behind their backs, pointing out sweat, tired look, or mood...and plot to get rid of them, by setting up against less skilled but gorgeous looking young men.

They would have a right to sail through their Menopause!

We women, are required to hide it, and act as if nothing happens.

Any odd behaviour and you are out!

No wonder that so many women give up work.... and so many men end up wealthy!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:14:41 PM by orrla »