Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: So much conflicting advice form the medical profession...  (Read 1354 times)

Focus

So much conflicting advice form the medical profession...
« on: August 29, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »

Just back from my appointment with the nurse to get more of my combined pill.

We had a quick chat and she told me I could take it for as long as I wanted. Until I was 53 or 54 even. She said there's so many good things about the pill that don't ever get mentioned. She gave me a year's supply to take away. Just like that.

Have to say, I was gobsmacked. One of my GPs refused to proscribe the combined pill after 45. A couple have said they wouldn't prescribe it after 50.

I felt like she treated me like an adult. It's one of the few times I've had that feeling, going to see someone in the medical profession. I told her that.

I'm pretty tired this evening. I walked to my appointment (it's a fair bit away), and I had to wait a bit as they were running 45 minutes late so I was a bit stressed when I went in.

I went for a window shop after, which was unexpectedly quite relaxing as I'm trying to cut back on what I buy and can look but can't buy (I'm on a replacement only no buy for makeup, skin care, hair care, clothes, accessories and homeware).

friend of lhasa apso

Re: So much conflicting advice form the medical profession...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 08:30:35 PM »

Hi there,
I took low oestrin until.I was 50 then told I had to come off it by gp .After that I took a mini pill but came off it as it didn't agree with me .Then meno symptoms started !
I think it's more risky for blood clots after 50 .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 09:53:06 PM »

Quality of Life again.  If there's no history of blood clots etc., if the GP is monitoring a patient [male or female] then open discussion is important.

It is conflicting that is so tiresome!

Focus

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 10:41:56 AM »

Thank you.

I think I find it so confusing as some practitioners seem so dictatorial. It's their way, or no way. While it feels like some actually listen to you as a person and are more prepared to 'bend the rules'.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »

All treatments should be tailor made ! but some GPs are stuck in their way of thinking.  I lived with two teachers who were the same  :-\

One GP at our Practice insisted that I take statins as my reading was 7, well it had been 7 for over 15 years but she was so insistent  >:(

Focus

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 01:14:06 PM »

Yes, you're totally right...I've had that with teachers in the past as well!

I actually came across Germaine Greer's book on 'The Change' when I was out and about a couple of days ago. I think I might buy myself it. It seems really interesting.

I think I'm partly tired from coming up against the whole taboo aspect of perimenopause/menopause. Even with clever, thinking, sensitive women, and even of a similar age (or older), it's like a door slamming in your face if you bring up menopause.