Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Antibiotics  (Read 3568 times)

LilyAndEsme

Antibiotics
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:02:38 AM »

Hi ladies
I've become very sensitive to antibiotics. I've only tried a few but I'm now reluctant to try others..My GP usually prescribes Euryhromycin for things like chest infections but last year the dose was increased from 200mg 4 x/day to 400mg 4 x/day. I felt so ill but managed to complete the course. Several months later I was prescribed the same AB but couldn't tolerate it after the first day.
Does anyone know why this happens? I now have a UTI so I need to go to the doctors today! Not sure what she might prescribe but I'm feeling bit anxious. Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:06:35 AM by LilyAndEsme »

Taz2

Re: Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 09:38:36 AM »

Erythromycin is well known for causing stomach pain and upset stomach so it's worth asking for a different one if these are your side effects although sadly this is a common side effect of many antibiotics? I can't have quite a few antibiotics due to true allergy (rash, lips and eyes swelling) and the others such as the tetracyclines do give me horrible stomach problems so I understand how you feel.

Don't put off the UTI treatment. I did that and ended up with a kidney infection and four months of antibiotics. You might be given nitrofuantoin which can cause headache etc for first couple of days but this does often get better. I've also been prescribed fluoxicillin or cipro something but not sure what for! You may find taking a probiotic such as the optibac range helps with stomach issues.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x

Bobidy

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »

I'm so glad someone had posted about this as I thought it was just me. I've never been allergic to anything my whole life and now I can't have penicillin antibiotics due to swelling, and I've just had to stop taking Emythomycin antibiotics because the stomach pain was absolute agony it also set off some vaginal pain/itching and a dicky belly which I assume is because it's killed off some good bacteria in there. Hydrocortisone cream makes me itch from top to bottom.

I try to avoid antibiotics at all costs and think I've only had them about 4 times my whole life, but it is a worry that I react like this to them when I need them.

I hope you find a type that you can tollerate x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 10:50:47 AM »

Do make sure that you actually have an infection!  Make sure that a sample is sent to a Lab. for testing.

Let us know.  If I get poorly with ABs I stop.  I simply cannot tolerate the side effects.

LilyAndEsme

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »

Hi ladies.
Thank you so much for your replies. At the hairdressers at the moment. Dr's appt at 3.40pm.

CLKD - I went to the GP on Friday. She took my temp (slightly raised) Did a urine sample.. She saw nitrates and lymphocytes in the sample so definitely have one.

I'm just not happy taking anymore Abs but I know I need to so the infection clears 😳
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:41:34 PM by LilyAndEsme »

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »

Hi ladies
I've become very sensitive to antibiotics. I've only tried a few but I'm now reluctant to try others..My GP usually prescribes Euryhromycin for things like chest infections but last year the dose was increased from 200mg 4 x/day to 400mg 4 x/day. I felt so ill but managed to complete the course. Several months later I was prescribed the same AB but couldn't tolerate it after the first day.
Does anyone know why this happens? I now have a UTI so I need to go to the doctors today! Not sure what she might prescribe but I'm feeling bit anxious. Any thoughts?
Nitrofurantoin makes me feel really ill. As I get further into the course, I feel progressively worse. Trimethroprim has far fewer side effects for me. Don't let them only give you a 3 day course. i was advised by a consultant last year that any UTI courses under 7 days are a waste of time and may be harmful because the don't kill the bacteria sufficiently.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:12:22 PM by Katejo »

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »

Hi ladies.
Thank you so much for your replies. At the hairdressers at the moment. Dr's appt at 3.40pm.

CLKD - I went to the GP on Friday. She took my temp (slightly raised) Did a urine sample.. She saw nitrates and lymphocytes in the sample so definitely have one.

I'm just not happy taking anymore Abs but I know I need to so the infection clears 😳
The same consultant told me that dipstick tests  are very unreliable.  I suspect that this is more to do with patients being wrongly told that they don't have an infection when they do.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »

Did the GP send off the sample to be tested though, dip stick tests are well known for not giving a true reading!

I am apparently allergic to Penicillin - I think that it's my sister  ::).  I wear an SOS bracelet for that reason as well as being a parts donor.

ABs certainly eased atrophy symptoms B4 I knew it was atrophy, my GP noted a pattern.  HORMONES  >:(

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 02:18:20 PM »

Did the GP send off the sample to be tested though, dip stick tests are well known for not giving a true reading!

I am apparently allergic to Penicillin - I think that it's my sister  ::).  I wear an SOS bracelet for that reason as well as being a parts donor.

ABs certainly eased atrophy symptoms B4 I knew it was atrophy, my GP noted a pattern.  HORMONES  >:(
I have just had the result of a urine test  which was sent away. No infection found but detected red blood cells. My symptoms have calmed down a bit but not fully cleared. Maybe VA symptoms aggravated by pre holiday anxieties?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »

Were the red blood cells explained?  If not, ring and find out - then let us know, you can be our Spy for the Day ;-)

ABs make us ill sometimes.  There's a huge article in the Telegraph today that is again warning about the over-use - pity they don't headline THAT rather than HRT risks  :poke2: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 04:46:47 PM »

Were the red blood cells explained?  If not, ring and find out - then let us know, you can be our Spy for the Day ;-)

ABs make us ill sometimes.  There's a huge article in the Telegraph today that is again warning about the over-use - pity they don't headline THAT rather than HRT risks  :poke2: :bang: :bang: :bang:
I was given a cystoscopy  and referred to a nephrologist 3 years ago due to persistent haematuria. At the time, I didn't know about VA and it wasn't mentioned by the doctors who saw me (urologist and nephrologist). Nothing of concern was found.
After starting Vagifem nearly a year ago, I did think that it might stop/reduce the haematuria. This is the 1st urine test which I have had done since then but it seems that the haematuria is still there.

The GP has told me that I can bring a  further sample in to send away on Monday. My VA has really flared up in the past week. I just don't know if it is just the VA or a UTI which the test has failed to detect. I have lost faith in urine tests but i will get a 2nd test done on Monday.
I am due to fly to Italy next weekend. Last year I did end up cancelling for similar reasons and then regretted it!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

LilyAndEsme

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »

Hello lovely ladies,
I'm sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to you.
My GP sent the urine sample for analysis. She said the infection is sensitive to Trimethoprim. However, I don't feel like I have an infection anymore, it's very strange. I've been drinking a couple of glasses of Cranberry juice and plenty of water every day so I think it's possible my body has fought the infection on its own. I've told my GP that I don't feel I currently need antibiotics but if I feel unwell again then I'll go back.

I'm seeing a physiotherapist at the moment because of a mild prolapse. On examination she said there is vaginal atrophy. The doctor has prescribed a pessary called Vagifem. She thinks this will help with the atrophy and mild prolapse. I do have some questions regarding Vagifem. Do I start a new thread or is it okay to ask those questions here?

Thank you for your advice and support. I appreciate it so much.  :)

Joaniepat

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 07:10:43 PM »

I'm seeing a physiotherapist at the moment because of a mild prolapse. On examination she said there is vaginal atrophy. The doctor has prescribed a pessary called Vagifem. She thinks this will help with the atrophy and mild prolapse. I do have some questions regarding Vagifem. Do I start a new thread or is it okay to ask those questions here?

Thank you for your advice and support. I appreciate it so much.  :)

Perhaps it's best to start a new thread. Ask away, plenty of women on here using Vagifem.

JP x

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »

Hello lovely ladies,
I'm sorry it's taken me awhile to get back to you.
My GP sent the urine sample for analysis. She said the infection is sensitive to Trimethoprim. However, I don't feel like I have an infection anymore, it's very strange. I've been drinking a couple of glasses of Cranberry juice and plenty of water every day so I think it's possible my body has fought the infection on its own. I've told my GP that I don't feel I currently need antibiotics but if I feel unwell again then I'll go back.

Just to say I understand your reluctance to take antibiotics but if infection has been identified then it would be a good idea. As we get older there are often no signs of a UTI, no real discomfort or urgency, but the infection can lurk and travel further up into the kidneys causing a nasty infection. I experienced this and it then took four months of strong antibiotics to clear it. Although you feel it's gone I'd be very wary of not taking the antibiotic.

Taz x  :-\

Pages: [1] 2